MPG as an idicator of necessary OCI/Maint Sch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pondering OCIs based upon MPG, i.e. reaching the max indicated by the builder would mean a 7500mi OCI if the choice is between that and an OCI of 3750. Thoughts?

Last edited:
OCI based on gallons of fuel consumed would be interesting.

Accord gets 32 hwy 25 city new epa. So 7500 / 32 = 235 gallons. I would change at 235 gallons consumed regardless of use?

Interesting thought. But no matter how I harp my wife just won't keep track of her fillups. And if I complain too much, she might just stop altogether.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
OCI based on gallons of fuel consumed would be interesting.

Accord gets 32 hwy 25 city new epa. So 7500 / 32 = 235 gallons. I would change at 235 gallons consumed regardless of use?

OCI based on gas consumed is an old idea with a lot of validity.

If you drive harder or do a lot of stop and go your gas mileage drops either way. Both conditions are severe driving that normally call for a severe duty oil change cycle.

Steady moderate speed highway driving gives the best mileage and is easiest on the oil so you can run a longer OCI.

It's better than a fixed interval change, providing you have the interest and disciplne to keep track.

I suspect that fuel consumed is a significant part of OLM indicators in newer cars.

Well, i suppose that this could also correlate to the number of revolutions the engine turned. In theory, driving harder would mean more spinning. it might be a U-shaped curve, lots of high speed and lots of idling are no good.

IIRC, the OLM in my BMW is in effect, a startup and rev-counter.

Not a bad idea.

It assumes the driver is your "typical" driver who accelerates moderately from standing starts and goes a little above the speed limit on whatever road they're on.

I use this and works for me as I hwy miles under near identical conditions, it costs me more in lost mpg than the oil change.
sometimes I pump out a few qts and ad some fresh juice or dunk some valvoline synthetic oil additive -)

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Not a bad idea.

It assumes the driver is your "typical" driver who accelerates moderately from standing starts and goes a little above the speed limit on whatever road they're on.

It's better than that. If you drive hard you use more fuel so your change time comes up sooner.

That is a valid way of determining the interval oil changes.{Gallons used} Miles per gallon is good for tune up type of troubleshooting.

If you're just looking for an arbitrary number to change oil at, with an absolutely huge factor of safety -- sure, you could use litres of fuel consumed.

But UOA is really the gold standard in terms of determining an interval that is appropriate for a specific engine and oil combo.

I'm thinking engine on time (hour meter), and gallons used would safely determine an safe OCI no matter how the car is used. Time (6 months) or miles 6000 is something easy to remember but engine on time and/or fuel consumed can be a whole lot more than someone who is basing OCI's on fuel use or engine on time. I think using both on time and fuel consumed could almost be fool proof, its a good idea. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back