08 Toyota 3.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mom is looking at a RAV 4 w/v6. need to know if this engine is a known sludger and what it likes oil wise. oil cap says 5/30, going to go Amsoil after 6k.
thoughts.

from what ive read it is a reliable drivetrain, no sludge issues. The 3.5 is alot of motor for an suv of that size.

Yeah, it's a great engine. Great fuel economy and wicked fast. It does take a cartridge oil filter though, but you can buy the OE ones in cases from eBay for about $4/each including shipping.

great. thanks.. cartridge oil filter yeah I saw that. going to see how much of PIA thats going to be.more than likely its going to her mechanic for oil changes though. has a big sump compared to the GM's I'm use to,like 6.5 qts.

I didn't find changing the 3.5 cartridge filter to be that much of a PIA. Because the casing is cast aluminum, I use a strip of cardboard between the filter wrench and the cartridge case.

Your first filter change will be the hardest since the oil drain cap will be over tightened and you will have to hold the case with the filter wrench to remove the oil drain cap. Then inserting the oil drain adapter that comes with the filter takes a little getting used to since you are opening the bypass valve. The instructions are on the filter box and I recommend following the torque specs when putting everything back together.

Great vehicle, I'm selling mine and it's not because I don't like it. It gets great gas mileage - avg 32-34 on the highway.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ProfPS
because I don't like it. It gets great gas mileage - avg 32-34 on the highway.

thats pretty dang good mileage, almost as good as my corolla

Originally Posted By: 02zx9r
Originally Posted By: ProfPS
because I don't like it. It gets great gas mileage - avg 32-34 on the highway.

thats pretty dang good mileage, almost as good as my corolla

I've got this same engine in my Sienna van. The best I've gotten on a full tank is 32 mpg. At speeds of 70-75 mph, full tank mileage goes down into the 27-28 mpg range. Still, not too bad for a 4400 pound vehicle.

ETA: I'm using 5W-20, will be switching to PP synthetic at the 5000 mile mark.

Last edited:
I've found that I get the best mpg's at 70 mph (± a mph or two). I travel along the east coast so there are rolling hills and at 70 mph I have the momentum to make it up hills without the trans downshifting. I get 34 mpg with the A/C on; 32 mpg with it off (windows closed).

I've found this with past cars dating back to my '88 2.8 Z24. With the A/C on the air/fuel mixture is richer to compensate for the A/C compressor drag on the engine, then the timing advances when running at a constant speed, and running higher in the hp band at 70 mph, thus running more efficiently. It's worked for me, with my long trip driving style with the cruise control.

Last edited:
Nice SUV... It would be my pick if I was looking for one, though not sure I'd go for the V6 or not. Does anyone know if the 3.5 went to a timing chain, or are they still a belt? I had thought they were still belts, but I could be wrong.

Originally Posted By: MysticGold04
Nice SUV... It would be my pick if I was looking for one, though not sure I'd go for the V6 or not. Does anyone know if the 3.5 went to a timing chain, or are they still a belt? I had thought they were still belts, but I could be wrong.

The 3.5's switched to timing chains. Some people swear they can hear an increase in engine noise because of the chain, but I can't.

thanks ProfPS, good to know some "real" MPG #'s as I don't take any stock in the EPA estimates at all.
the 6 might be a bit much for the weight but a 4 won't cut it in the Poconos. my g/f 4cy RAV you have to spin the p iss out of to get it some of the hills.
after its broken in might run some SSO and see how it holds up,might do the gear oil as well. right now waiting to put it in the g/f RAV. also going to do ARx maintenance dose from day 1.
Samilcar I have to agree you can't tell that engine is running after its warm.

well she bought the car. WOOOOHoooo.
dealer is going to give her first 3 oil changes on the arm.5K, 10K and 15K and I have no idea what they use. guess I'm going to have to go there for the first one and get a feel for the place.
I was surprised at how busy the place was given the state of the economy right now, too bad the shop wasn't open.

I have seen Toyota dealers in NC and CT using bulk Kendall. The only CP product I have used has been TropArtic for 1-4k OCI, and it seemed to hold up fine; even for a summer OCI. Actually, I was running TA when I got 34 mpgs driving between fillups from VA to NJ on I-81/I-78. I'll give a mpg update at T-Day when I go on my next long trip; I'm running Penn SUV blend now - got it cheap online [~$7 for a sixpack].

this dealer is in Newton NJ. Mom will rack up 5K in no time. I still think it should be dumped after 2K but I'm not going to argue about it w/her. I'll just dump some ARx in when shes not looking....lol.
looking forward to seeing what SSO can do for this engine. I hear they take some time to break in though.

Last edited:
I would hold off with the ARX maintenance doses, and not run it so early on a new engine; it's just me. The engine will run fine on any SM oil without additional additives. I am thinking of running maintenance ARX doses, but won't start it until I hit at least 20k; I only have 13k on the odometer after a year and a half.

I wonder what the service mgr is going to do when I ask him to fill this little bottle(w/oil). that should be fun.
maybe I should bring 2 one for what comes out and the other for what goes in.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pair of Blazers
I wonder what the service mgr is going to do when I ask him to fill this little bottle(w/oil). that should be fun.
maybe I should bring 2 one for what comes out and the other for what goes in.

Just get yourself a sampling pump, and get it done before the service guys ever put a hand on your car. Then you'll know for sure that you have a clean, valid sample.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back