Harley-Davidson Syn 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Results of new oil test performed at SwRI San Antonio.
Bo -360
Ca -1400
Mg - 730
Mo - 6
P - 1040
Zn - 1150
all test run by ASTM D4951
HTHS viscosity D4683 - 5.3 cP
KV 100 D445 - 5.4 cSt
CCS @ -15c d5293 - 4300 cP

Anybody got access to a Material Safety Data Sheet for this oil? Would be interesting to see what the manufacturer says the base oil is. Someone on another board suggested that it was manufactured with an "obsolete" base oil formulation method.

doyall, SYN3 is formulated with 3 different GRP 4 /GRP 5 basestocks. The exact base is proprietary and I can't find a MSDS but try The Motor Company to get a MSDS.
One of the bases is PAO and I "guess" the formula
is similar to the old M1 Trisyn, thats not gospel.

I have not tested this product yet.

If you try it send me a sample to run.

Finally got a MSDS on the SYN-3 after two months of trying. It is manufactured by Citgo Petroleum. Composition section reads like this:

Component
CAS #
Concentration

(1) 1-Decene Homopolymer, hydrogenated
68037-01-4
50% - 70%

(2) Proprietary Ingredients
Proprietary Mixture
1% - 10%

(3) Polyisobutylene
9003-27-4
1% - 10%

(4) Distillates, Petroleum, Hydrotreated Heavy Paraffinic
64742-54-7
0% - 20%

(5) Distillates, Petroleum, Solvent-Refined Heavy Paraffinic
64741-88-4
0% - 20%

(6) Zinc Alkyldithiophosphate
68649-42-3
0% - 2%

Without any research, I will take it that Item 1 is a Group IV base oil. If it is not, someone please make note of it in a post.

Item 2 is probably their additive package, but could there also be some "secret" synthetic oil included in it?

Item 3 seems to be a fancy name for synthetic rubber, or elastomer. Could this also be "synthetic" oil.

However, Item 4 is a Group II base oil (Conoco Pure Performance Base Oil [either] 110N, 225N or 600N).

Research yielded no information on the group number of Item 5 but it is Conoco'c Cit-Con 650N Base Oil. Can't help but presume that it is a Group I oil as it is solvent refined. Again, I stand to be corrected.

In any case, here is what Harley-Davidson says about this stuff in their advertising:

quote:

Developed with a proprietary blend of three synthetic basestocks, ...

Could they have streached the definition of "synthetic" a bit further than Castrol if there are Group I and II oils in the blend? Wonder if ExxonMobil will go after them and we will get a new definition for "synthetic?"

[ September 30, 2003, 09:50 AM: Message edited by: doyall ]

doyall, if that is indeed the formula it is different from the press release I read and guessed about. The first 3 components are your syn bases, mostly PAO.

That may be a great oil but it isn't what is advertised or hyped.

Only by BP/Castrol
grin.gif
grin.gif

No, Group II oils are still part of the petroleum family.

They may be counting Miscibility Esters as another Synthetic Group.

The (3) Polyisobutylene
9003-27-4
1% - 10%

is often used as a replacement for mineral oil Brightstock (approx. 600SUS heavy oil).

The Polyisobutylene thickens oils but leaves little residue, whereas Brightstock leaves a lot of heavy residues.

[ October 01, 2003, 03:06 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

At my 20,000 mi maintenance on my 1999 HD Road King I had them install HD's syn oil in the gear box and primary. (I was already using Mobil V twin in the engine.) The shifting is noticably worse. I will probably go back to the older HD lubes unless somebody gives me a better idea.
As a practical matter the new oil does not perform very well.
grin.gif

If their MSDS is accurate:

Component
CAS #
Concentration

(1) 1-Decene Homopolymer, hydrogenated
68037-01-4
50% - 70%

About 60% PAO Group IV.

(2) Proprietary Ingredients
Proprietary Mixture
1% - 10%

This is their additive package consisting of Detergent/Dispersant, VII's, FM's, Rust Inhibitors, Ashless antioxidants, metal deactivators, etc.

(3) Polyisobutylene
9003-27-4
1% - 10%

This is a synthesized hydrocarbon used to thicken oil. Helps the VI. It would most likely be at the 1% level.

(4) Distillates, Petroleum, Hydrotreated Heavy Paraffinic
64742-54-7
0% - 20%

Group II+ Base oil for mixture.

(5) Distillates, Petroleum, Solvent-Refined Heavy Paraffinic
64741-88-4
0% - 20%

Group I base oil for mixture. Most likely used to increase solvency.

(6) Zinc Alkyldithiophosphate
68649-42-3
0% - 2%

ZDDP for antiwear, antioxidant.

Addendum: This is a typical "Ternary" mixture of three base oils.

For a similar discussion, see:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=003765

[ October 01, 2003, 12:25 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back