One key start from catastrophy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The dohc 3.6 Holden V6 is a grenade, with severe cam chain wear. There are 3 chains,a bunch of guides and sprockets to replace....and this one has done about 140,000km. Running rough and a real rattle on start up - the chain is sitting on top of the teeth, next crank and it would be on the next set of teeth. Phone photo, best I could do.

2013-11-14143154_zpsf4b5ecb7.jpg

This one has morse chains, we did one 6 months ago, a year newer, and it had morse for the crank, and single row rollers for the camchains.....but the roller chains still wore and jumped a tooth. Hard to believe an engineer could design something as stupid as this, and then talk it up as a great step forward.

Woah, lots of pain in those photos, But, it could have been worse I suppose. Paying attention still pays.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Holy varnish batman!!!
crazy2.gif

I noticed that as well. This chain problem may be more oil neglect than anything else. A friend that was(now retired) a parts man at a local Ford dealer told me several years ago that oil neglect is the #1 reason they saw for chain and guide problems on overhead cam engines. Don't we often hear at BITOG, that varnish is harmless?
37.gif

Last edited:
I've seen a lot of chain driven engines dirtier than this and with a whole lot more miles on them, and no camchain problems.

This is a Holden, the workhorse of Australia and New Zealand, they have a reputation of taking serious abuse and neglect. A lot of Holden owners won't be going back after paying these maintenance bills.

Originally Posted By: Silk
I've seen a lot of chain driven engines dirtier than this and with a whole lot more miles on them, and no camchain problems.

Likewise. We have a well respected high end machine shop in the family and they regularly get older high mileage cars in that are completely sludged up from short tripping and long OCI's all the time. Many times the valve gear is just fine under the gunk.

Tons of variables here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back