Which 20 wt oil is likely to get my Hybrid THERE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys:

Background:
I just bought a used, 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid. A former government car, with 69K miles on it. Carfax records show it had oil change intervals every 5,000 miles since "birth". From doing some investigative work, I found it that it has had Kendall 5W20 blend, up to now. I am replacing a 20 something mpg Ford Taurus with a 40 mpg hybrid Fusion. My thinking A) " Just after the November election, we will be looking at gas prices well over $4/gallon - regardless of who is in office." and B) With the Chinese increasingly gobbling up the existing oil capacity, we will never have oil prices this low again.

Goal:
I wish to get at least 400,000 miles out of this car - while driving the wheels off of it. I'll worry about the replacing the battery down the road. Although I noticed a Ford Escape Hybrid was recently sold on ebay (still running with original battery at 350,000 miles). So I have a chance of making it.

The Plan:
I wish to first use up my "vast" oil reserve stash first from my garage. This consists of the following oils. A) Havoline 0W20, B) Toyota 0W20 and C) Motorcraft 5W20 FULL Synthetic. The last two make up about 4/5 of my 50-60 qt stash.

The Question:
Which of these oils will most likely get me to 400,000 miles (if used AFTER my current oil is all gone? I had planned to use the Motorcraft only during summer and Toyota 0W20 only during winter, until they are all used up. I had planned to change at 7500 mile intervals. My drive includes a daily 80 mile round trip freeway into the city. 20% city/80% hwy driving.

80% highway + 7.5k interval + hybrid = IT DOESN'T MATTER
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
My boyfriend has a 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid last September we did a UOA on the M1 0w-20 oil. He's been using M1 0w-20 in the Fusion since he bought it new in 2010 (minus the first factory fill). Here's the report of the oil, hope this helps-

6eEzV.jpg

I also meant to put that he drives 100 miles every day (5 days a week). 80% highway, 20% city/traffic. Missouri weather. Each year he puts about 35,000 miles on the Fusion.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lillikai
My boyfriend has a 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid last September we did a UOA on the M1 0w-20 oil. He's been using M1 0w-20 in the Fusion since he bought it new in 2010 (minus the first factory fill). Here's the report of the oil, hope this helps-

6eEzV.jpg

I also meant to put that he drives 100 miles every day (5 days a week). 80% highway, 20% city/traffic. Missouri weather. Each year he puts about 35,000 miles on the Fusion.

Looks like we have a winner folks (at least for this car). Much appreciated Lillikai. Tell your boyfriend, I will race him to 400,000 miles. To my untrained eye, that UAO is about as good as you can expect, for an 11,000 mile interval.

For full disclosure, Lillikai can you tell us :
1) What kind of real world mileage you guys are getting in that 80% highway driving commute?
2) What he likes and does not like about this vehicle? And
3) What kind of mechanical problems (if any) he has had? What is his current odomether mileage on the car?

I'll have to "wade" through the quarts of oil I have on the shelf, before my car sees Mobil 1 0W20. However, if anyone has some, and wants to swap for the Motorcraft 5W20 FULL Synthetic, Havoline 0W20 or Toyota 0W20 that I have, PM me. I am in Tennessee.

The rest of the car will be falling apart before you have an oil related failure. Those hybrid systems are expensive to repair after 100,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: volk06
The rest of the car will be falling apart before you have an oil related failure. Those hybrid systems are expensive to repair after 100,000 miles.

Not in a parallel hybrid like the Fusion. Those have demonstrated exceptional reliability and durability. The series hybrids like Honda uses have shown to be much less reliable.

That was a good UOA on M1 0w-20. It's good oil.

No problem! I've been reading these forums for a couple years, I figure now its time I contribute a little bit of real world knowledge
smile.gif
Thanks BITOG for all of the knowledge I've acquired about oil and car maintenance!

"For full disclosure, Lillikai can you tell us :
1) What kind of real world mileage you guys are getting in that 80% highway driving commute?
2) What he likes and does not like about this vehicle? And
3) What kind of mechanical problems (if any) he has had? What is his current odomether mileage on the car?"

1) I assume you mean miles per gallon. About 42 mpg average. Extreme heat/cold makes the mpg decrease roughly by 5 mpg. He commutes to work daily, 5 days a week. To get to work and back its an hour each way. He says he drives 75 mph for most of that.

2)We enjoy the car very much. We've done a few road trips to florida and michigan and its been a very comfortable ride. The sony surround sound system is fantastic! No complaints so far!

3) 12 volt battery lost its charge this summer due to the extreme heat we've had in Missouri (105* days, extreme drought). 2 weeks ago the moonroof had a plastic rail brake with normal use, the plastic looked really cheap/flimsy. We baby this car. Otherwise we haven't had any issues.

The car now has approx 74,500 miles on it. We want to keep it for a long time, so we plan on keeping it in great shape.

"I'll have to "wade" through the quarts of oil I have on the shelf, before my car sees Mobil 1 0W20."

I buy the 5 quart jug of M1 0w-20 AFE (green cap) at walmart for $26.50. For his car I use the Motorcraft FL-910S filter. I do 10-12k oci. I change the filter every time I change the oil, so it is run for 10k miles as well.

He says you're on! Race you to 400k miles! lol
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sciphi

Not in a parallel hybrid like the Fusion. Those have demonstrated exceptional reliability and durability. The series hybrids like Honda uses have shown to be much less reliable.

That was a good UOA on M1 0w-20. It's good oil.

The fusion (like my Mariner Hybrid) is a full hybrid not a series or parallel. I am running Red Line 0w-20 in my Mariner. I am going to do a UOA when I get to 5k, then 10k and if it is good I might do 15k.

All of the oils you have will do the job. I believe Ford is recommending 10,000 mile OCI on the new Fusion Hybrids 5W20.Ford uses their Motorcraft 5W20 blend.

Originally Posted By: Best F100

Looks like we have a winner folks (at least for this car).
I'll have to "wade" through the quarts of oil I have on the shelf, before my car sees Mobil 1 0W20. However, if anyone has some, and wants to swap for the Motorcraft 5W20 FULL Synthetic, Havoline 0W20 or Toyota 0W20 that I have, PM me. I am in Tennessee.

One good UOA is in no way an indicator that M1 AFE will serve your objective better than the three 20wt oils currently in your stash.
Use up your stash as you intend to. Once it's depleted and in light of your predominately long distance highway mileage I'd run any premium 0W-20 oil that's good value.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: Best F100

Looks like we have a winner folks (at least for this car).

One good UOA is in no way an indicator that M1 AFE will serve your objective better than the three 20wt oils currently in your stash.
Use up your stash as you intend to. Once it's depleted and in light of your predominately long distance highway mileage I'd run any premium 0W-20 oil that's good value.

You are correct with that statement. Unless any of us: A) Has the $$$$ and ability to perform their own engine wear, tear down testing, OR B) knows someone else with over 300,000 miles/ with the same car/ using the same oil /under the same conditions, then single UOA's results are as good as it gets.

Until then, I'll just use up what oil I have on hand (unless someone else wishes to swap with me), and keep an eye on others with higher mileage are using.

Originally Posted By: sciphi

frown.gif
frown.gif

They are expensive but they rarely fail. I can tell you first hand because my step-dad works at an auto scrapyard and they get totalled Prii in there all of the time, which they harvest the hybrid battery from.

Every time I talk to him he's raving about the Prius and is glad we got one. He is a Chevy guy and scoffed when we got the Prius but is now super happy. He said they can't sell any Hybrid batteries to a metropolitan area of over 300,000 people because the batteries never fail on these cars.

We're at 137k and we are still getting 58 mpg. Strong battery I do diagnostic tests every once in awhile and it is very strong.

100,000? Try 400k. Easy.

Mobil 1 is starting to impress me more and more... Their SM days are firmly behind them it seems.

If I can get a jug of 0W20 on sale I'll give it a go myself...

It's on sale right now at AutoZone in the states if you ever cross the border. Works out to be 5.25 USD/946 ml bottle. Just picked up 2 OCIs worth of 0w20 & Bosch filters.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
The fusion (like my Mariner Hybrid) is a full hybrid not a series or parallel.

I am confused by your statement? What, by your definition, is a full hybrid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back