Shell Formula 5W30 - Ecotec 2.2 - 5467 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most recent UOA for my Chevy HHR...had some Shell 5W30 SM flavor left over from buying as bunch at Walmart on the cheap. Doesn't seem too too bad although it did shear a bit. Filter was OEM AC Delco. I think I changed the air filter out about 1000 miles into this run

New fill as mentioned in report is .99 cent Royal Purple I picked up on closeout at AutoZone.

bsreprot.jpg

Goose
34.gif

Looking good Goose!
thumbsup2.gif

Wished I picked more of this up for the family when it was 49 cents a quart...
33.gif

So far, what has been your average MPG and is your HHR a stick or auto? (too lazy to search)

Take care, bill

Hi Bill...it is a auto and so far by using Gas Buddy to track my mpg I'm avg 30.24 mpg after 54 fillups this year..not too bad! On the Matrix through 36 fillups before I traded it in the mpg was 31.58 so not too far off on a bigger engine and heavier car.

You know how easy it is to change the oil on the 1.8? Imagine something just as easy but to change the filter all you need to do is unscrew the cartridge from the front top of the engine. Zero mess, maybe 15 minutes to change oil...one of the high points of the Ecotec design

I'm running Royal Purple this fill......don't think I would ever drop the coin they want for this stuff retail but for .99 cents a quart I figured it was worth a shot

Goose
34.gif

Originally Posted By: Blue_Goose

I'm running Royal Purple this fill......don't think I would ever drop the coin they want for this stuff retail but for .99 cents a quart I figured it was worth a shot

Goose
34.gif

only way i would ever consider running rp

Goose,

How long are you gonna run the RP for?

Good results here - this oil is a real bargain for the performnace you get out of it - you could have gone almost 7k miles on this run, I'd bet....

Originally Posted By: 02zx9r

Goose
34.gif

only way i would ever consider running rp

I was wondering if you'd comment on the RP
LOL.gif
I hear you...but for a buck a quart it is almost a crime not to try it.

Add- I'm going to try for the 30% or maybe 8-9K

Depends what the weather is like then
grin2.gif

Goose
34.gif

even though i bash it, for $1/quart i would run it for 5K interval and see how it did

Last edited:
Yep....for any synthetic it is hard to pass up for a buck

Goose
34.gif

Careful!

You get what you pay for...

Or is it "Pay now or pay later"?

I'm not sure.
33.gif

Nevermind...
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: chet2
formula shell is cheap oil that isnt cheaply made

Yes, unlike Xcel oil, which is cheap oil that is very cheaply made...if you get the lower echelon one anyway.

Got the same good results with Formula Shell 10w30 in my 93 Mazda 2600i pickup with a 5K OCI. Sheared as well but the wear numbers didn't show it. Formula Shell is a real bargain.

Last edited:
I doubt the viscosity reduction is due to fuel as there is no fuel to be found nor any extra wear.

Do the 2.2L Ecotech's have timing chains or belts? If a chain, seems to me the oil sheared back somewhat since it got beat up by a timing chain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back