Zinc--------------666 - 1012

CSt Visc. @ 100C----6.1 - 8.64

Fuel (%)-------------- Water (%)--------------0 - 0
TBN-------------------6.35 - 3.65
Insolubles------------0.1 - (N.A.)
Oxidation--------------36 - (N.A.)
Nitration--------------27 - (N.A.)

Amsoil is the left

I do almost exclusive highway/rural driving when ever possible. The vis and the ads are what stood out to me. I haven't had a chance to call the lab, I wanted to post it as I received it until I get a chance to call. Oil is still in the car with just a top up.

This engine has always sheared its oil even XLM sheared. The PP sheared the least of any oil I have used in this car but it had 4k less miles.

A question to the experts, if you allow me TaterandNoodles:

With Oxidation at 36 and Nitration at 27 (abs/cm ?), how far can he go?
What is the limit for these two data if you don't want to take too much risk for your engine?

Thanks.

Pesca,

The generally accepted limits for Ox/Nit are 50 abs/cm ...I'd also use a lower limit of 4.0 on the TBN. Best guess? This batch of oil could be run out another 4000-6000 miles.

The traces of K & Na are from salt laden air (VA Beach location)

Originally Posted By: Pesca
A question to the experts, if you allow me TaterandNoodles:

With Oxidation at 36 and Nitration at 27 (abs/cm ?), how far can he go?
What is the limit for these two data if you don't want to take too much risk for your engine?

Thanks.

It depends totally on the exact oil tested virginally. Without that then nitration and oxidation are not a lot of value.

Congrats, you challenge Bruceblend 0w-20-LITE for low end 20 grade visc.
thumbsup2.gif

(visions of the Rover Discovery commercial where the upscale couple pick up the stray dog in the rain while in traffic)

Courage

I wonder why there is such a difference in the ZDP between both oils?

I called and they say the viscosity is correct. I didn't think this engine design was all that hard on oil. Its a 1.6L CVVT with a short chain between the 2 cams but the timing is belt driven and not a chain. I would have thought any of the nissan, toyota or honda's to be allot harder on their oil since they are full chain.

What are the odds if I do a couple more miles I will be in the 10wt range? This oil is still in the car, when has it sheared to far?

Originally Posted By: zoomzoomlx

My mom has an 06 Rio with this motor. Should I switch the oil over to something better than the Supertech dino 5w-30?

You should be fine as long as you don't run it to long. This engine has been chewing up TBN and Viscosity in every oil I have run. Your 5w-30 is easily a 20 before you change it. I've posted some conventional changes over the last 2 years. Pennzoil, havoline and gtx although the gtx was the shortest.

4K should be safe. At 5k miles the TBN were all fairly well shot. Don't forget how the car is driven will matter as well. It only takes me 2 months to do 4k miles.

The long term implications of these two analyses should be clear for all to see - it won't be long before the Koreans are really pushing the Japanese on the overall quality front.

My question for Detroit is why can't you mass market a refined, four cylinder engine that wears like this??? At first glance this looks like a 200k-250k motor to me.

Originally Posted By: TeeDub
The long term implications of these two analyses should be clear for all to see - it won't be long before the Koreans are really pushing the Japanese on the overall quality front.

My question for Detroit is why can't you mass market a refined, four cylinder engine that wears like this??? At first glance this looks like a 200k-250k motor to me.

thumbsup2.gif

Ecotec appears it's on a similar level as the Japanese 4 cyl engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back