BIG [censored] Dog Attacked our smallest dog.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife walking our smallest dog this AM. I was away. 1/2 mile or so from our house.

Large dog broke free from rope, useless owner could not stop dog. Killer ran across street and attacked our small female dog. Owner just stood there and yelled dog's name.

Lacerations, thrown for dead. Vet Bill at this point is $460.

Owner of big dog says she will pay for half.

We did not file a police report.

BITOG Legal scholars, camel jockeys and quarterbacks?

Sorry to hear about your dog. Let's see, her dog broke loose, came across the street, and attacked your dog, and she want's to pay half. Hmmmm!

You should have filed a report, that way she would be liable for all. But half is better than nothing. Did her dog come into your yard to make this attack?

Next time tell her that when you shoot her dog you will pay half the burial expenses.

Tell her it's costs, and that should she quibble, straight to the Police.

edit. Straight to the Police. It was your dog this time, could be a toddler the next. She cannot control the animal, so she shouldn't have it.

Was yours on a leash pablo?

If both were free then I think half is "fair" (I not it's still not fair). If yours was on a leash then they should pay full for not restraining their dogs. That's the law in my county anyway. You could call the local dog pound/warden and ask about the laws.

You own any firearms? : )

File a police report ASAP !!!!

If not, they will promise to pay the vet bill and later just turn around and refuse to pay a penny. They need to pay the ENTIRE bill, not just half.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
File a police report ASAP !!!!

If not, they will promise to pay the vet bill and later just turn around and refuse to pay a penny. They need to pay the ENTIRE bill, not just half.

+1

Pablo, my sister had this same thing happened to her except her dog was the agressor.

*DO* file a report, it's the proper thing to do and will give you leverage to make her pay for her dog's aggression. Make her pay for it as it's her fault. My sister paid for the neighbor's dog vet bills. Then they got rid of her dog.

I am very sorry to hear about yor dog.

File a report. Find out if there's other situations with this dog.
thumbsup2.gif

Was your dog on a leash?

Did your dog do something to antognize the dog (doubtful)?

Pay half my buttttttt, they need to pay full. They were just doing the negotiating thing most likely.

Don't back down.

Absolute best wishes...

In this neck of the woods the owner is 100% liable for any damage his dog causes regardless, even if my dog is in a kennel and you stick your hand in and get bit. I would not settle for anything less than the guy paying for all the vet bills. BTW.. just curious, what breed of dog was it that attacked your dog?

Our dogs are always leashed in public.

I did the manly thing. I sent the wife over to the old lady's house to collect in full.

Bull mastiff-Chesapeake Bay Retriever-Irish wolfhound-Rottweiler

Wife just came home with check. Shotgun, lawyer nor police needed.

At first they said she would have to spend the night. But we got her about 6PM or so.

She is wearing the cone of silence and is a bit drugged. Most of the stitches are in her right ear. Looks like she will live, but we have spent so much time on her self confidence......

Pablo, dont let them get away with this. Set a precedence that they'll not get rewarded for their negligence. If you let it go this same situation may arise for some other neighbors. Money talks and lightening their wallets for maximum damage with caution them to be more careful with their pets.

I dont have a little dog, I have a big dog, a Rotty, she's freindly but a few times did get out of the fence, came right back, she's well trained, if such a incident like you said happened , I would definently offer to pay the entire vet bill and I feel at $466 dollars, I would be getting off lucky.

Frankly, I think the big dog should be shot. What happens next time it breaks free and a small child is the victim?

I have a smallish female Golden that would NEVER bite a person but wants to de-capitate other dogs. Every dog and situation is different. Obviously, the owner is 100% at fault and is stupid to think a rope is adequate for a lead.

She should pay the full bill. You were just walking your dog, minding your own business. If her dog just attacked out of the blue, then she needs to pay the full vet bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back