Virgin Filter Photos & Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
High in the Mountains of Central California
Finally got it done! Please note that even if your vehicle does NOT use one of these filters, you can still use this to compare construction between lines and brands.

First, here's a spreadsheet with all of the measurements:

-

...and now for links to the photos (WARNING! Very LARGE files, for those of you on dial-up
frown.gif
). Also, I removed one of the endcaps on the Supertech ST8A, in case you notice anything odd about the way it looks... the endcap is just sitting behind the element in the photo.

FL-1A Equivalents
Amsoil EaO15 "Nanofilter"
Baldwin B2
Baldwin B2-HPG
Bosch 3500
Denso 150-1004
Donaldson P169071
Donaldson P550008
Fleetguard LF3313
Fleetguard LF3487
Fram HP1
Fram PH8A
Fram TG8A
Fram XG8A
K&N HP-3001
Mobil 1 M1-301
Mobil 1 M1-301EP
Motorcraft FL-1A
Napa 1515/Wix 51515 (Same thing)
Professional's Choice Q1A
Purolator PremiumPlus L30001
Purolator PureONE PL30001
STP S8A
Supertech ST8A

FL-299 Equivalents
Baldwin BT237
Baldwin BT251
Beautiful Engine
Donaldson P550299
Donaldson P554407
Fleetguard LF697
Fram PH977A
Motorcraft FL-299
Purolator PremiumPlus L40017
Wix 51773

"GIGANTO" Filter
Napa 1714/Wix 51714 (Same thing)

Have fun!
smile.gif

[ November 13, 2005, 10:32 PM: Message edited by: Big O Dave ]

Great job. Interesting the highly regarded Wix filters are short in media. also the cheapy Wal-Mart too made by Champion has more media area than the STP. That is opposite what I found in the 3950. Of course, if the STP is synthetic, quality may trump quantity. Notice Fram is near the bottom in both.

Without looking at the photos (until tomorrow on a better system), what is a standpipe?

Also, Fleetguard LF697 has a threaded end bypass??????? I though for sure it was dome and that't why I quit using them, but I like them best of all for their high 16 gpm flow. I will definitely have to relook at that one. Thanks.

Thanks Dave!
I find this info very interesting.
Just bought (3) Purolator 40017 this week, guess I did ok, maybe I'll try Motorcraft next time if price is similar. The Purolator were $little more than $5.

Denny, where did you get them for a little over $5?

I checked on the Motorcraft (FL299) and it seems only the dealer has it and they wanted something like $17 or so.

Denny, where did you get them for a little over $5?

I got them at Advance Auto Parts. They did not have them in stock, but took only a day to get.
$5.18 each seem to ring a bell.

Paul,
Your question about "STANDPIPES" I was wondering about it also, I found this info posted last July.
This is from a couple of different post.
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

"It's a tube that projects up inside the filter that maintains a certain depth of oil inside the filter after engine shutdown. (filter is mounted holes down)"

"The adbv will prevent oil from draining out the inlet holes (as long as the adbv is working anyway), the tube keeps the oil from draining out the outlet hole (maintains the level at the height of the tube anyway)."

"It sort of "extends" the outlet hole up inside the filter. It would also help seperate any potential sediment away from that outlet hole as well."

Big O Dave, I peeked at the photos (turns out my JunoSpeedband dialup is not too bad) and see that the can has a different logo design than the cut apart used Fleetguard in my garage. Mine (which was bought about 1.5 years ago) definitely has a dome end bypass, though not a clicker. They must have redesigned the LF697 because I never saw that weird looking zig zaggy springy thing either. I better get over to Motor City Truck tomorrow and have a look at this new Fleetguard.

Interesting about the standpipes, Denny.

I pay $6 plus tax at Advance Auto. Maybe there is a regional price variation. But if Fleetguard has gone to a threaded end bypass on the LF697, I will be going back to Fleetguard.

Looks like the redesigned Fleetguard LF697 antidrainback is radically different. I did have one of the old LF697's antidrainback leak badly (thumb test after pulling the filter from the vehicle).

Dave..I notice there isn't a genuine Ford OEM filter..not Motocraft...on your list.

What..no Ford dealer you could twist their arm to help..
tongue.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back