is Rotella T5 10w-30 ok for wet clutch bikes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
a friend of mine is looking at a new bike (???Honda???) & was told it needs 10w-30 oil; he's asking about options for 10w-30 in the bike, which I believe is is a common sump design; before I recommend Rotella T5 10w-30 (haven't seen 'energy conserving' or 'resource conserving' in the API seal) I want to be sure it won't cause clutch slippage...

is Shell Rotella T5 10w-30 hdeo considered 'energy conserving' or 'resource conserving'? in other words, is it ok for use in a common sump bike? thanks

Its technical data sheet says "Energy Saving", but that does not necessarily mean that it's loaded with friction modifiers.

The same text shows in TDS for Rotella T6 5w-40, which we know is fine for wet clutches.

Does his owners manual require that he uses JASO MA/MA2 approved oil? If so, for warranty purposes, he should probably stick with one that does. And if no, then he can probably run any 10w-30 oil out there.

Some of the new Honda bikes require this:

Quote:
API Service Classification SG or higher,
excluding oils marked as “Energy Conserving,”
SAE 10W-30, JASO T 903 standard MA

Then again, even Honda's own 10w-30 motorcycle oil doesn't list JASO MA compliance, to my knowledge.

Originally Posted By: rraiderr
What Honda runs 10W-30?
Even my 1985 Honda V65 says you can use 10W30 for under 90F.

Originally Posted By: rraiderr
What Honda runs 10W-30?
My 2013 CRF250L only list 10w 30 in the owners manual.

didn't think about the 'warranty' aspect...I'll just say it's best to ask the dealer and a few independent shops (that service metric bikes) for suggestions

Yes I think Honda is going to 10w30 on a lot of their bikes. Goldwings too I think. I just started the thread about the Honda Grom 125 and it only lists 10w30. The Pro Honda HP4S oil is only available in 10w30 as well.

I have been riding since 1977 and I have used every oil available. None have ever given me any clutch issues. IMO the Moly and slipping clutch thing rates right next to Pennzoil making sludge.

Yeah Honda has been converting all of its recommends to 10w30 on its bikes, even bikes that used to quote 20w50 use. 20w50 isn't even in the manual of the same bike in a never changed motor. They started converting manuals to 10w30 around 2007.

Originally Posted By: Mackelroy
Yeah Honda has been converting all of its recommends to 10w30 on its bikes, even bikes that used to quote 20w50 use. 20w50 isn't even in the manual of the same bike in a never changed motor. They started converting manuals to 10w30 around 2007.

then Honda needs to seriously think about packaging and marketing a 10w-30 conventional oil!!! only having an expensive synthetic 10w-30 without a conventional alternative is not prudent...not everyone who buys a Honda is gonna want to buy the expensive Honda branded stuff; I'd be researching VOA's & PDS's and taking my chances with 10w-30 conventional PCMO's with little or no moly (Valvoline, Castrol, NAPA, and various house brands bottled by WPP/WNE like SuperTech, AutoZone, Advanced Auto Parts, etc) using 3000 mile OCI's; paying $12-15 per quart of oil is simply insane!!!

thankfully my 2006 Shadow still calls for 10w-40 which gives me many options amongst the realm of conventional, synthetic-blend, and full synthetic oils that are JASO-MA rated/certified...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kmrcstintn
then Honda needs to seriously think about packaging and marketing a 10w-30 conventional oil!!!

They do: Honda GN4 10w-30 Motorcycle oil.

However, the recommended oil change interval on many of these new Honda bikes is 8,000 miles. You probably don't want to use mineral oil for such long intervals. Plus, Honda's mineral oil can cost as much as other manufacturers' synthetic.
smile.gif

I don't know a single person at the track running 30W in their CBR 600/1000.

My buddy with his Wing has over 200K and does not use 30W.

Do what you feel comfortable doing but no way I would run 30W in my new or used Honda.

I run it in my 2008 Goldwing with no problems.
I have also run it in my ST1100 with an 8,000 mile OCI and it performed well. It even stayed in grade. I posted that UOA in the MC UOA forum in 2011.

Rick

I run the 10W-30 Rotella in the winter in my FJR1300 and in my GL1800 Gold Wing.

BTW, Honda also makes a 5W-30 that JASA-MA rated. I have some on the shelf. Great for ATVs in the winter.

Here's a link to a post on this forum.
Read down - the OP thinks it's sheared, when it has not.
Click here

Last edited:
well thats because he actually read what the stoners wrote (which was totally incorrect). typically that section of the report should NOT be read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back