What is a good non-toxic antifreeze?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just installed a new portable basketball net today. Filled the base about half way with water. Given the freezing temps that will be here in the next few days, I'd like to add something to the water that will keep the base from freezing.

Regular coolant isn't an option, neither is windshield washer fluid.

Any ideas?

Regular antifreeze/coolant is ethylene glycol. The other alternative is propylene glycol which is considered safer. I don't remember the brand that makes it but check the jug to see what it says about toxic, biodegradeable, etc.. Other than that I don't know of any 100% non toxic antifreeze.

This antifreeze is propylene glycol mentions its safer than regular ethylene glycol.
http://www.sierraantifreeze.com/index.html

Amsoil also makes a propylene glycol antifreeze.
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/ant.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
PG is safer, but isn't non-toxic by any means.

I've heard of people filling up their basketball stands with sand...an option?

If you have a huge cheap oil stash like Bill, you could fill it up with oil!
grin.gif

Or put in Mobil 1 and you'll be good to go!
shocked.gif

I'd rather not use sand. Water mixed with some non-toxic chemical is a challenge!
smile.gif

Nor do I want to use Mobil1 as it's Group III now.
wink.gif

I know the cheapest vodka is around 6 bucks per 1.75L. No, I don't drink it.... I promise... like my motor oil, I only buy the best.

Quote:

PG is safer, but isn't non-toxic by any means.

ANK!!!! Wrong answer. Although PG/EG blends are less toxic. PG is not at all.

Quote:

Toxicity: EGW is considered a hazardous waste whereas NPG is not as PG is used as a food additive and pharmaceutical base fluid.

evans
Quote:

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has classified propylene glycol as an additive that is "generally recognized as safe" for use in food. It is used to absorb extra water and maintain moisture in certain medicines, cosmetics, or food products. It is a solvent for food colors and flavors.

Propylene glycol is also used to create artificial smoke or fog used in fire-fighting training and in theatrical productions.

some site

and WIKI

The PG RV antifreeze isn't pure PG ..and the PG blends (LOWTOX, etc) aren't pure PG either. Pure PG gels when cooled and aren't as good at heat transfer as typical water:eg mixtures. It won't boil til about 375F ..but that's only in its pure form.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back