Store Greeter Puts Out Car Fire , Gets Fired

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our welfare system means this hero greeter would have to rely on Meijer's worker's comp insurance if he got injured fighting this fire. Meijer would then (directly or indirectly) shoulder the cost, not the car owner, his insurance, or the government.

That is crazy... There must be enough of these firings to start a class action lawsuit!

doh! I guess the lawyers win everytime eh...

I guess the message they're sending is Mind Your Own Business when you're on company time, and do what you were hired to do and nothing else? I guess that holds true for catching people ripping them off too, unless you were hired for security. LOL

I'm glad I own my own business.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: doitmyself

The legal atmosphere of our country dictates uncommon sense.

That about sums it up.

Accountability is depressingly lacking and the litigious instinct of most people to exploit any circumstance for personal gain has rendered common sense a liability rather than just rare. This is what happens when people expect government and society to do their thinking for them and to legislate against societal problems. You end up with a lot of CYA and an army of lawyers waiting to make a buck by manipulating the system.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
That is crazy... There must be enough of these firings to start a class action lawsuit!

Quote:

Right there it is. A guy loses his job, and people start talking about suing. is it any wonder the businesses want to protect themselves?
Can you imagine the law suit if the guy would have died putting out the fire? Can you imagine the outrage if Meijer had said they wouldn't compensate the family?

Originally Posted By: whip

Quote:

Right there it is. A guy loses his job, and people start talking about suing. is it any wonder the businesses want to protect themselves?
Can you imagine the law suit if the guy would have died putting out the fire? Can you imagine the outrage when Meijer said they wouldn't compensate the family?

We need to revamp the legal system. This guy did a nice thing. But I agree, The lawsuits needs to stop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Our welfare system means this hero greeter would have to rely on Meijer's worker's comp insurance if he got injured fighting this fire. Meijer would then (directly or indirectly) shoulder the cost, not the car owner, his insurance, or the government.

Indeed.

Perfect example of how the road to the burny place is paved with good intentions.

Quote:

Can you imagine the law suit if the guy would have died putting out the fire? Can you imagine the outrage when Meijer said they wouldn't compensate the family?

Well said.

Meijer said that they have specific protocols in place for emergencies, in order to protect their customers and employees. This guy risked his life, trying to do a good deed and got punished for it. This is the world we live in.

I guess the message that is being sent is, if a person is on fire in the parking lot, asking for help from an employee, that employee should turn his back and continue to collect shopping carts and pretend that nothing is happening. Then when inside the store, proceed to alert the manager of the situation outside, so they can call 911... that is if he doesn't get distracted by the clean up on isle 5 first.

crackmeup2.gif
This comment from the link the OP posted is funny...

Quote:
"A good greeter would have directed the car owner to Aisle 5 - tool boxes, smoke detectors and fire extinguishers."

Originally Posted By: Artem

I guess the message that is being sent is, if a person is on fire in the parking lot, asking for help from an employee, that employee should turn his back and continue to collect shopping carts and pretend that nothing is happening. Then when inside the store, proceed to alert the manager of the situation outside, so they can call 911... that is if he doesn't get distracted by the clean up on isle 5 first.

Another option would be to clock out, and help on your own time. lol

Quote:

Can you imagine the law suit if the guy would have died putting out the fire? Can you imagine the outrage if Meijer had said they wouldn't compensate the family?

I don't think people want ALL law suits to stop. Rather they want the frivolous ones stopped. Taking an employer to court because you got fired for helping someone like in the article is not what I would classify as a frivolous law suit. To me that is fully justified and is what is intended by law makers. This isn't some dumb woman spilling hot coffee on herself and then suing McD's because of it.

Q: "What do you call 500 dead lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?"

A: "A good start."

I don't mean ALL the lawyers, but certainly the ones who salivate over frivolous lawsuits because win or lose they make money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back