Anyone taking digestive enzymes???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doc told me to start taking digestable enzymes. Sold me a bottle of 180 tablest of chewable digestive enzymes from NESS. These are vegetarin enzymes. From what I just looked up, it seems this can be important for the body as we age. I just turned 50 and took some xrays and noticed some bubble looking things on around the colon, and he said I was bloated, which I have been for a while, never thought it be from enzyme production slowing down, plus my red meat per day diet ain't helping. Just wondering if some of the brethren are taking some sort of supplement akin to this.

My first inclination would be to fix your diet. Start eating food that's more easily digestible rather than start popping pills that supposedly make your unhealthy food more digestible. Alas, I know that's easier said than done sometimes.

I personally do drink probiotic kefir to help my digestive tract.

But I am curious to hear if any other members have anything positive to say about digestive enzymes.

What kind of doctor is he? I am always suspicious of doctors who sells supplements. I'm not saying that you don't need it, but it brings into question if he has other motivations for recommending the product.

What did he/you mean by bloated?

I take them. They are really helpful especially as we get older. I take before I eat ice cream or pasta and I do not have problems like I do if I don't take them. It helps process the food and takes the load off your body's work

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
...chewable digestive enzymes...

Your doctor is doing you a favor. Some administer these as enemas. Presuming, of course, he did not mix up the oral meds with the

So rather than listening to your body and adjusting your diet to something that's healthy, you'd rather pop a pill and hope that fixes what your poor eating habits have broken?

I'm sure the supplement manufacturers thank you all the way to the bank.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Start eating food that's more easily digestible

I thought we were supposed to be eating indigestible food? Stuff high in fiber?

Personally I try to eat yougurt each day; wife found this Chobani Greek yougurt that we like. Expensive, but yummy. I can't say that I enjoy vegetables but the alternative is worse. I still much prefer carbs but for the most part we don't eat any breadstuff that isn't somehow "whole grain" or "multigrain" or whatever.

I tend to think the internet quacks raving about how bad sugar is for you are, well, quacks: but I sometimes wonder. Between their ravings and the fact that I don't brush my teeth often enough I've basically cut out most of the sugar from my diet--no soda, no sugary breakfast cereal, etc. I'm about to take brown sugar out of my oatmeal altogether (but leave along my coffee!). These days I really only have a craving for sugary deserts after a large meal--and, well, perhaps the best thing there is to avoid eating to excess in the first place.

Can always count on poprivit to bring it home!!!! LOL. Doc is a chiropractor that I've been seeing for years. I have degenerative disc disease and he wanted some updated xrays as the back pain has been getting worse here lately. Basically no cartilage between L5-L4 and little between L3-L4. He told me years ago that it would get worse as I aged, well that time is smacking me upside the head. I've also got diverticulitus...thanks dad....and had a really bad scare about a year ago. Put me on my knees for about 3 days until the antibiotics cleared it up. From what he sold me, as compared to the internet prices, he really ain't making much money, but as according to poprivit, it could be all hogwash. That's why I'm soliciting the brethren. I've been on here for a number of years and I know some of ya'll are around me age....50-ish. Changing the diet....e-gads!!!! My moto is "the west wasn't won on salad." I just bought a half cow a month ago and yeah, I love beef. One thing I didn't realize, but it appears that yogurt has the same beneficial enzymes as to what I'd be taking? Also, I don't think if these as "pills" in the sense that every American wants to just pop a pill in and away goes the problem. I am a staunch believer in what all I put in my body. I don't even take aspririn for pain, just deal with it. I do take glucosemine, fish oil, multi-vitamin religiously every day. Hmmmm....beer as yeast....could that help? No, and that's from experience....

I want to say, the digestive enzyme pills vs yogurt, yogurt has far less in it.

This stuff....digest chewables from nutritional enzyme support system, has has 209 mg of a proprietary vegetarian enzyme blend in it. Wonder how much enzymes are in yogurt....

Originally Posted By: supton
Start eating food that's more easily digestible

Personally I try to eat yougurt each day; wife found this Chobani Greek yougurt that we like. Expensive, but yummy.

you can make your own yogurt. even the greek type....
1 gallon of whole milk.
1/2 cup of cream/sour cream
1 cup of plain yogurt
some warmth
you may be surprised...

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
So rather than listening to your body and adjusting your diet to something that's healthy, you'd rather pop a pill and hope that fixes what your poor eating habits have broken?

I'm sure the supplement manufacturers thank you all the way to the bank.

Pop,
instead of sniping at them,
tell them what you can do at 69! (and they don't at younger ages....)

I'm with Pop on this, but I think he got the wrong idea about me on a personal level...I really don't believe in pills. Now, pills in the medical sense like pharamaceutical wise, but I don't consider supplements to be of that nature. Pops..I SMELL what your cooking...

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
One thing I didn't realize, but it appears that yogurt has the same beneficial enzymes as to what I'd be taking?

You might consider kefir instead...

http://www.kefir.net/kefir-vs-yogurt/

http://www.prlog.org/10286286-kefir-not-yogurt-is-the-way-to-healthy-lifestyle.html

Of course the store bought stuff may not be as good as home made...

This!

My wife makes and drinks water kefir regularly. I tried it and must have overdone it (4 oz per day) and lost 6-8 pounds in less than two weeks without trying. My wife drinks 6 or 8 oz per day. People were asking me if I was ok so I cut back on it and gained a couple of pounds back.

I only drink a couple of ounces here and there now and eat yogurt as well. I eat red meat 1-2 times per week or less. If there's any bloat, my vote would be kefir! Most yogurts come nowhere near the probiotic levels of kefir.

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: supton

Personally I try to eat yougurt each day; wife found this Chobani Greek yougurt that we like. Expensive, but yummy.

Costco's house brand of plain greek yogurt is $6.89 for 2 32oz containers. I mix it with a little granola and it is excellent! I eat it everyday for breakfast and an occasional afternoon snack. It's got all the active cultures and is just as natural as the more expensive Chobani.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back