PHILIPS 9011/HIR1

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I have heard they are at least as good as the outgoing version...if not better. They don't rely on pure HIR to get the output though like they used to from what I understand.

I have the older version of Phillips 9011's as a high beam upgrade in my Outback. Took about 1 minute per bulb to trim the tab on the base to fit where the stock bulb was 9005.

Very good improvement. Brighter without going blue-white in color.

I've been using them for over a year. Same pair and they work great. 9012s and 9011s. Get them from Amazon though. Candlepower's prices are awful.

Originally Posted By: simple_simon
I've been using them for over a year. Same pair and they work great. 9012s and 9011s. Get them from Amazon though. Candlepower's prices are awful.

I bought them from a guy with a good rating on fleabay $40 delivered (no they weren't "used"
grin2.gif
) . I did the trimming last night. Will install this week or weekend.

I STILL think it's odd they are not on the PHILIPS web site.

VERY VERY nice light on HIGH. The old bulbs were on 60W, so just the 65W alone is nice. I have not driven the car, just installed and tried them behind the garage.

Now here's the bad news. Subaru had this not so great idea to use the high beams throttled back as the DRL's. Really stupid, IMHO, with a ginormous resistor to drop the voltage. The bulbs I took out already had some nice yellow stains inside. I'm afraid the bulb life will be squadouche with the stock bulbs which are Sylvania Halogen 9005 60W.

It will be really interesting to see how these 9011's look as DRL's. I wish I knew the resistor value and such so I could do some calculations.

just an fyi, amazon has a seller selling toshiba style hir1 bulbs in an ac delco box, these have the old style toshiba bulb shape and coating. they are 23 each i will be installing them tomorrow in my subaru outback. I did check mine and the day time running lamps on mine are the low beams seems dumb of subaru to do high beams for drl since they generally have such a short life span

Originally Posted By: Dupree
just an fyi, amazon has a seller selling toshiba style hir1 bulbs in an ac delco box, these have the old style toshiba bulb shape and coating. they are 23 each i will be installing them tomorrow in my subaru outback. I did check mine and the day time running lamps on mine are the low beams seems dumb of subaru to do high beams for drl since they generally have such a short life span

Very interesting. I had seen those on ebay and somehow didn't think they were real Toshiba. How are yours marked? Thanks and the Amazon price is great relative to ebay.

On the DRL, I am seriously considering disabling mine. It's legal, but I hate the idea of disabling a safety feature. On the WRX it's pretty easy. There also is a fix that allows you to direct the DRL to the fog lights, but it involves tapping into wires and such. I'm shy of doing such things on a car with 998 miles.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
On the DRL, I am seriously considering disabling mine. It's legal, but I hate the idea of disabling a safety feature.

Generally speaking, from a fleet perspective and in a jurisdiction where DRLs have been around for a long time, there are times to disable them and times to leave them alone. If they're not intrusive and they're reliable, leave them alone (i.e. Chev pickups in their original DRL implementation). When they're problematic (i.e. Crown Vic and Town Car c. 2000 MY), that's the time to disable them.
wink.gif
They were problematic on their own, let alone when the electrical was tampered with for taxi or police service. Ford was even getting very owly up here with respect to the module and warranty for the module when the car was used in taxi or police service.

You can always manually turn on the headlights every time you drive. That will defeat the DRL without having to do anything else. Think of that as manual DRL :)

they were generic marked but there is no doubt it is a toshiba HIR they have the special coating you can see in the right light and the funky globe, i think ill buy more before there gone since i run them in my cx9 as well

Originally Posted By: Dupree
they were generic marked but there is no doubt it is a toshiba HIR they have the special coating you can see in the right light and the funky globe, i think ill buy more before there gone since i run them in my cx9 as well

So how do they look? I asked on Amazon and a guy said they have Toshiba brand on his. I bought two pairs. I assume they fit fine with the standard modification.

BTW Philips NEVER answered my email.

yeah they are straight up HIR they look like my toshiba branded ones at night. I have no doubt the new ones are good, but it was my understanding the coating is what allowed them to produce the lumens, so without it the newer ones, im just not sure how they are doing it without overdriving the filament

We have the 9011 and 9012 (HIR1 & HIR2) in our 2010 Dodge Journey. They Journey uses the high beam on low power as the DRL as well. With this we have not experienced any issues other than it will have a shorter life (which would affect the standard bulb as well). The low beam compared to stock is absolutely noticeable, it isn't a "well I think I see the difference" it's an obvious "wow thats a lot brighter!" I do not have nay before or after pictures but you'll have to take my word on it. The only thing I had to do is trim the tabs a little bit, which I did using a craftsman multi cutter thingamabob. They also do not have any silver "caps" on the end of the bulb like standard bulbs have on them; which you can really tell with the brights on. The brights with these bulbs are crazy they really are. The Journey has reflector headlights and with these bulbs they are the best reflector type headlights I have ever had the chance to drive with at night. We also have 2 Astras with projectors with "old" bulbs and the DJ outshines them for now. That might change since the Astra takes a HIR bulb as well.
Edit:
BTW I got my HIR from candlepower store they are great to deal with, their products are 100% authentic and not [censored] knockoffs. I get my bulbs for all our cars/motorcycles from them. They also sell brighter halogen bulbs for turnsignals/brakes and 194s and such. That is if you aren't into the LED scene or your car is not LED friendly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back