Oil Filter cutting? what do you use?

Posted by: Flareside302

Oil Filter cutting? what do you use? - 02/15/14 08:34 PM

I'm looking to see what y'all use to cut filters open easily.

something reasonably priced but good and fast at cutting some thick cans open.

looking to cut open several as a comparison piece.
Posted by: Shannow

Re: Oil Filter cutting? what do you use? - 02/15/14 08:41 PM

Hacksaw
Posted by: Rand

Re: Oil Filter cutting? what do you use? - 02/15/14 08:53 PM

oil filter cutter,dremel, hacksaw
Posted by: 901Memphis

Re: Oil Filter cutting? what do you use? - 02/15/14 09:00 PM

This is a nice one.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Longacre+Racing/44...CFcY-Mgod7GEAfg
Posted by: Ramblejam

Re: Oil Filter cutting? what do you use? - 02/15/14 09:00 PM

Rent an exhaust pipe cutter (chain type) from your local auto parts store
Posted by: 2010_FX4

Re: Oil Filter cutting? what do you use? - 02/15/14 09:04 PM

I use this one:

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performance+Products/555/80532/10002/-1
Posted by: vssjim

Re: Oil Filter cutting? what do you use? - 02/15/14 09:22 PM

speedway motors sells a decent one
Posted by: KD0AXS

Re: Oil Filter cutting? what do you use? - 02/15/14 09:50 PM

Posted by: stro_cruiser

Re: Oil Filter cutting? what do you use? - 02/15/14 10:04 PM

http://www.harborfreight.com/exhaust-pipe-cut-off-tool-69327.html
Posted by: KCJeep

Re: Oil Filter cutting? what do you use? - 02/15/14 10:36 PM

Hacksaw and practice. Like the looks of that Harbor Freight cutter though.
Posted by: CHARLIEBRONSON21

Re: Oil Filter cutting? what do you use? - 02/15/14 10:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Rent an exhaust pipe cutter (chain type) from your local auto parts store

Yes. This is inexpensive and works just fine.
Posted by: ZeeOSix

Re: Oil Filter cutting? what do you use? - 02/15/14 11:13 PM

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4

Many people here have that one, and they will all say it doesn't do small-ish diameter filters. The two wheel mounted in the end are too small & too far apart. If they would re-design it slightly is would work on smaller diameter filters better.
Posted by: DuckRyder

Re: Oil Filter cutting? what do you use? - 02/16/14 07:02 AM

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Many people here have that one, and they will all say it doesn't do small-ish diameter filters. The two wheel mounted in the end are too small & too far apart. If they would re-design it slightly is would work on smaller diameter filters better.

You can get the Longacre Oil Filter Cutter from amazon for a bit more and it can be adjusted for smaller filters by moving the rollers. It does Honda filters with no issue, but I don't have anything smaller...
Posted by: Colt45ws

Re: Oil Filter cutting? what do you use? - 02/16/14 08:00 AM

I have this one too. I don't have anything smaller than a FL400S-size.
Posted by: nwjones18

Re: Oil Filter cutting? what do you use? - 02/16/14 09:01 AM

I use a 3in air cutoff tool. Have to be careful though I've set a filter on fire with it before.
Posted by: flstffxe

Re: Oil Filter cutting? what do you use? - 02/16/14 09:05 AM

Works like a charm. Done in about 15 minutes with parts on hand.
Posted by: sayjac

Re: Oil Filter cutting? what do you use? - 02/16/14 09:29 AM

See post in thread below. Depends on how much you want to spend and purpose. I've found the HF exhaust cutter to be cost effective, and fairly good with some finesse applied.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...lte#Post3174892

Posted by: 2010_FX4

Re: Oil Filter cutting? what do you use? - 02/16/14 11:20 AM

How small? The oil filter for my Kawasaki Brute Force 750 is 2.65" in diameter and it cut it open just fine.
Posted by: BlueOvalFitter

Re: Oil Filter cutting? what do you use? - 02/16/14 01:52 PM

Posted by: DBMaster

Re: Oil Filter cutting? what do you use? - 02/16/14 01:56 PM

^I have one of those. How do you cut open an oil filter with it?
Posted by: laserred96gt

Re: Oil Filter cutting? what do you use? - 02/16/14 02:07 PM

those ridgids go only up to 1"1/8 I think, I use bigger pipe cutters for small diameter filters, and sawzall for bigger filters.

Re: Oil Filter cutting? what do you use? - 02/16/14 02:12 PM

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
^I have one of those. How do you cut open an oil filter with it?

You need one of these to use those cutters; crackmeup

Re: Oil Filter cutting? what do you use? - 02/16/14 02:24 PM

Ok, ok, seriously, I use a Dremel. My son in FL. has my Ridgid pipe cutters that cut 2-1/8" OD to 4-1/2" OD pipe.
I was just having a little bit of fun with BITOG members. smile

Re: Oil Filter cutting? what do you use? - 02/16/14 02:35 PM

How small? The oil filter for my Kawasaki Brute Force 750 is 2.65" in diameter and it cut it open just fine.

Mine won't quite do a Classic L14610, which is 2.70" diameter.
http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/resources/Popup/Pages/PartDetailPopup.aspx?partnum=L14610

Maybe they changed the design slightly - how long ago did you buy yours. Mine is maybe 3 years old now.

Re: Oil Filter cutting? what do you use? - 02/16/14 03:14 PM

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Ok, ok, seriously, I use a Dremel. My son in FL. has my Ridgid pipe cutters that cut 2-1/8" OD to 4-1/2" OD pipe.

You got me! I thought maybe there was some secret method. I recently inherited a Dremel tool set and tried cutting open of my used Skyactiv filters. Based upon how long it took to make a single penetrating cut I think it could take thirty minutes to open up a filter. Which attachment do you use? I tried a 1/32" cutting wheel.

Re: Oil Filter cutting? what do you use? - 02/16/14 03:21 PM

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

You got me! I thought maybe there was some secret method. I recently inherited a Dremel tool set and tried cutting open of my used Skyactiv filters. Based upon how long it took to make a single penetrating cut I think it could take thirty minutes to open up a filter. Which attachment do you use? I tried a 1/32" cutting wheel.

That's what I use. I usually use 2 wheels and about 30 minutes to cut open a filter. Taking this much time does not bother me. I have nothing else to do.
But, I tried cutting open a FRAM XG43 with my Dremel but the can is too thick. I have a Dewalt 4.5" grinder and a Bosch 4.5"X .040" cutting wheel I will use on it. thumbsup

Re: Oil Filter cutting? what do you use? - 02/16/14 03:23 PM

I think the Tokyo Roki Skyactiv filter must be too thick as well.

Re: Oil Filter cutting? what do you use? - 02/16/14 06:07 PM

Perhaps the JEGS model has narrowed the distance between the guide wheels, but for the Summit anything ~3" or less doesn't hit the wheels and basically rubs the the cross bar, many show worn black paint in the center area. It will cut but not with a smooth action. The pic below show an example on a now discontinued AAP Total Grip 7317 which would the same diameter as the PL/L 14610.

OT, The AAP TG was a really good value Puro variant and a Bitog favorite, especially on bogo and closeout. Had a nice stash of them that I used up. First dissected filter I ever posted was an AAP TG posted in this thread was a Total Grip, and another in this thread.

Re: Oil Filter cutting? what do you use? - 02/16/14 07:29 PM

Seems like you could make a notch on the cross bar to allow the filter closer access.

Re: Oil Filter cutting? what do you use? - 02/16/14 07:37 PM

Okay, nevermind that wont work. Its solid there and where that section bolts to the bar. I tried a FL400 again and I do see that it rubs on the center section pretty good. They obviously were not thinking of filters smaller than a PH5/8/2.

Re: Oil Filter cutting? what do you use? - 02/17/14 07:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Okay, nevermind that wont work. Its solid there and where that section bolts to the bar. I tried a FL400 again and I do see that it rubs on the center section pretty good. They obviously were not thinking of filters smaller than a PH5/8/2.

And that's why I gave with relatively inexpensive HF exhaust cutter a shot. It has four cutting wheels and with some technique experience it does a reasonably good job.

I'm curious to know if the linked Jegs model has improved on the Summit design by moving the guide wheels closer together.
Posted by: EricF

Re: Oil Filter cutting? what do you use? - 02/17/14 12:23 PM

I got mine from Summit racing a while ago, it was $45, basic looking, but it works.
I have problems cutting into Wix & purolator filters tho..
it eats thru fram & bosch's like nobody's business.
Posted by: paulo57509

Re: Oil Filter cutting? what do you use? - 02/17/14 10:38 PM

I use on of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Longacre-Oil-Filte...l+filter+cutter

This one doesn't work on very small diameter filters either.

I'm pretty sure it can be modified to work with small diameter filters by swapping out the bearings with ones with a larger OD.

Re: Oil Filter cutting? what do you use? - 02/18/14 12:43 AM

Originally Posted By: paulo57509
I use on of these:

I'm pretty sure it can be modified to work with small diameter filters by swapping out the bearings with ones with a larger OD.

It doesn't cut smaller filters even if you move the two posts the bearings are on inward toward the cutter?
Posted by: Clevy

Re: Oil Filter cutting? what do you use? - 02/18/14 02:36 AM

I've been using my sawzall however I think the best bet would be a cast pipe cutter with the cutting wheels

Re: Oil Filter cutting? what do you use? - 02/18/14 05:44 AM

I use on of these:

This one doesn't work on very small diameter filters either.....

Based on it's appearance I've long thought the Longacre was the creme dela creme of filter cutters. But if it doesn't work on smaller diameter filters I wouldn't pay that kind of money for it. Just me.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
.... I think the best bet would be a cast pipe cutter with the cutting wheels

This may or may not be applicable, but a poster or two tried to use the Harbor Freight pipe cutter with little success. They ended up crushing the can(s) more than cutting it open.

Re: Oil Filter cutting? what do you use? - 02/18/14 06:07 AM

I use on of these:

Define "very small"?

That is the exact one I have and it would defiantly do smaller than Honda Filters - you know you can move the rollers to the inner set of holes correct?
Posted by: paulo57509

Re: Oil Filter cutting? what do you use? - 02/18/14 06:02 PM

I use on of these:

It doesn't cut smaller filters even if you move the two posts the bearings are on inward toward the cutter?

Must be a new model. I didn't notice the extra holes. Mine doesn't have them.

Re: Oil Filter cutting? what do you use? - 02/18/14 07:10 PM

Hmm, next time I am near mine I will snap a picture... unless I imagined the whole thing (and anything is possible) mine has another set of holes in it...

Ahh, see here:

http://www.gtsparkplugs.com/Oil_Filter_Cutter.html

and:

Re: Oil Filter cutting? what do you use? - 02/18/14 07:21 PM

I use on of these:

Must be a new model. I didn't notice the extra holes. Mine doesn't have them.

Get out a drill and bit that's the same size as the current holes and put in another set of holes like on the newer model for the roller bearings. Seems like it would be very easy to do.
Posted by: Arctic388

Re: Oil Filter cutting? what do you use? - 02/20/14 10:00 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bguOzI2ChLs

i have the longacre filter cutter and it has 4 holes for adjustment. i really like using it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrLIf2u0NiQ

this one shows the cutter a little clearer.
Posted by: George7941

Re: Oil Filter cutting? what do you use? - 02/27/14 06:57 PM

I use a pipe cutter
Posted by: derweed

Re: Oil Filter cutting? what do you use? - 02/27/14 09:14 PM

I use the Harbor Freight exhaust cutter. It works really well. I have used it on the smaller filters of wife's CRV and on the Motorcraft FL500 for my F150