At present, who makes the MOST efficient filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys,
I typically run Mobil 1 or or Purolator PureOne filters on my autos. I know they're great filters.

But I'm searching out the best one I can use in a stand-by generator with a 3-cylinder Kobota engine. And I'd like to only focus on published data from a ISO4548-12 test.

The part number is a Onan 185-5835, and that crosses to
  • Mobil 1 M1-104
  • Purolator PL14459
  • Baldwin B161-S
  • NAPA 1344
  • Amsoil EA15K20
  • Bosch D3312
  • Donaldson P550162
  • and many others too numerous to list
What makes this different is that there are no space limitations, so any filter with M20x1.5mm threads and a gasket about 2.5" in diameter will fit.

For Amsoil, I cannot locate a EaO filter that will fit, only filters from the Ea15 line. And I read about the whole PL14610 versus PL14459 controversy as well.

I thank you in advance for your input.

txgp17: And I read about the whole PL14610 versus PL14459 controversy as well.
OFF TOPIC & not to hijack the thread, SORRY!...What crontroversy?
smirk.gif

I have used both #'s for my Altima and I must have missed something!...Though, I do get less startup rattle with the #14610, if I can't get the smaller #14610, I'll buy the slightly larger #14459.

I may have even responded to some of the posts, I just don't remember.

Thanks,

CB
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
txgp17: And I read about the whole PL14610 versus PL14459 controversy as well.
OFF TOPIC & not to hijack the thread, SORRY!...What crontroversy?
smirk.gif

I have used both #'s for my Altima and I must have missed something!...Though, I do get less startup rattle with the #14610, if I can't get the smaller #14610, I'll buy the slightly larger #14459.

I may have even responded to some of the posts, I just don't remember.

Thanks,

CB
smile.gif

Efficiency.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1870036

PL14610 is 99.9% efficient at 40 microns.

PL14459 is 99.9% efficient at 20 microns.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
at what micron size does a particle stop being a problem?

http://www.amsoil.com/techservicesbullet...gine%20wear.pdf

"Small particles are particles measuring between 5 and 25 microns. Small particles are of greatest concern because they can penetrate the clearances between wear-sensitive components and promote accelerated wear. And, because they are so small, they are difficult to remove from the oil stream."

Here's some interesting reading on the PureOne efficiency.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1566061&page=1

Summary:

µm -- Efficiency
-----------------
5 -- 51.3%
10 -- 92.8%
15 -- 99.20%
20 -- 99.9%
25 -- 100%
30 -- 100%
40 -- 100%

The more particles an oil filter can remove below 25 microns, the better. If an oil filter is very efficient at 20 microns (like the PureOne @ 99.9%), then it be somewhat efficient down to 5 microns as can be seen in the summary table above.

I doubt you're going to find any off the self filter more efficient than 99.9 % @ 20 microns.

Hi,
txgp17 - It is well known that wear from contaminants of less the 5 micron is the greatest - especially in ring packs and other areas (components) of very close tolerance

These are more effectively removed fro the lubricant via a centrifuge

I used centrifuges on the engine in question with great results. In my application the engines were on a continuous cycle involving around 15-20 hours use per day. I used a synthetic lubricant too with a standard FF filter (really only to fill the space)

Originally Posted By: txgp17
Guys,
I typically run Mobil 1 or or Purolator PureOne filters on my autos. I know they're great filters.

But I'm searching out the best one I can use in a stand-by generator with a 3-cylinder Kobota engine. And I'd like to only focus on published data from a ISO4548-12 test.

The part number is a Onan 185-5835, and that crosses to
  • Mobil 1 M1-104
  • Purolator PL14459
  • Baldwin B161-S
  • NAPA 1344
  • Amsoil EA15K20
  • Bosch D3312
  • Donaldson P550162
  • and many others too numerous to list
What makes this different is that there are no space limitations, so any filter with M20x1.5mm threads and a gasket about 2.5" in diameter will fit.

For Amsoil, I cannot locate a EaO filter that will fit, only filters from the Ea15 line. And I read about the whole PL14610 versus PL14459 controversy as well.

I thank you in advance for your input.

If you have no space limitations, take a look at the Baldwin B168 and B199. Both are larger than the B161-S(that's the one I use on my motorcycle), you can call Baldwin and see witch one filters better.

ROD

If I were in your shoes, I would personally install a remote mount filter to open my options no even further. I might even go so far as to install an Amsoil dual remote bypass setup with an EaO15 and EaBP90. That is what I intend to do if I ever get around to installing a natural gas powered backup generator.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I doubt you're going to find any off the self filter more efficient than 99.9 % @ 20 microns.

Bosch Premium - its a P1 clone.

Originally Posted By: TrevorS
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Bosch Premium - its a P1 clone.

Yes, and it's not more efficient.
grin.gif
I really can't think of any oil filters that are MORE efficient that 99.9% @ 20 microns.

if great filtering is so important, how do the japanese cars like the hondas and toyotas I have owned seemed to run fine thru 200k miles with the factory oem filters (which I assume are NOT high efficiency?
they usually ugly you to death b4 the engine dies.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
if great filtering is so important, how do the japanese cars like the hondas and toyotas I have owned seemed to run fine thru 200k miles with the factory oem filters (which I assume are NOT high efficiency?
they usually ugly you to death b4 the engine dies.

Maybe because in Japan they are required to swap out the engine at some ridiculous low mileage (?). I could never understand why they do that in Japan.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
I used centrifuges on the engine in question with great results. In my application the engines were on a continuous cycle involving around 15-20 hours use per day. I used a synthetic lubricant too with a standard FF filter (really only to fill the space)
You used a centrifuge on a 3-cylinder Kubota? What make/model?
Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
If I were in your shoes, I would personally install a remote mount filter to open my options no even further. I might even go so far as to install an Amsoil dual remote bypass setup with an EaO15 and EaBP90. That is what I intend to do if I ever get around to installing a natural gas powered backup generator.
I am considering that. Donaldson offers some hydraulic filters that are Beta=1000 at >4 microns. The HBK05 series filters are rated for 30-60 GPM (overkill), and the filter heads can be had with low pressure bypass and bypass indicators, notifying me when a filter is reached it's service life. The filter I'd use would be a P167796 which has 5 psi of pressure loss at 12 GPM. More about them here.

Last edited:
Hi,
txgp17 - It was around 1982 and IIRC it was the D1105 version. I used these in prototype stop/start refrigeration units for semi-trailers. This was a project I initiated within the largest Reefer fleet in OZ. We also used Isuzu engines. Initially the stop start control was cycled from the load's temp and oil/coolant and ambient temps too

They ran at in both high & medium speed cycles with little to no idling as I recall

I met a small engine Development Engineers at Kubota in Japan at the time. They would not endorse the use of a synthetic lubricant. In any event I used it and it performed very well indeed

Initially I used Castrol Formula R 15W-50, an ester based lubricant - the forerunner of TWS - and with OCIs out to 3000hr using UOAs

Later I worked with the Engineers at ThermoKing in the US who were also pioneering a similar system. I went to the US a few times and of course they came to OZ too

All OTR Reefer units today have this facility as standard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back