"Synthetic" oil filter nonsense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Call me old-fashioned, but what the heck is this nonsense about? What does "synthetic" even mean in the context of an oil filter?

Furthermore, I see an explosion of expensive oil filters all over the place. I guess they're trying to guilt you into buying an expensive filter. When is the last time you heard someone having an an issue due to the oil filter (assuming a halfway decent filter was used)?

Originally Posted By: Zhukov
What does "synthetic" even mean in the context of an oil filter?

The filter media is synthetic.

It isn't to make you feel guilty.

It is simply because some people, who had synthetic in their car from new, can go 10,000 miles each OCI.

The synthetic wire backed media is just there to take more of a beating and hold the extra dirt of the longer OCI.

So, if you go twice as long on a filter that costs a few dollars more, and you aren't changing as often...

Originally Posted By: Falken
It isn't to make you feel guilty.

It is simply because some people, who had synthetic in their car from new, can go 10,000 miles each OCI.

The synthetic wire backed media is just there to take more of a beating and hold the extra dirt of the longer OCI.

So, if you go twice as long on a filter that costs a few dollars more, and you aren't changing as often...

This. It isn't a matter of protecting better, it's a matter of protecting longer.

Synthetic media also tends to allow the oil to flow through it with less resistance than paper cellulose and can hold more contaminants as previously stated.

Originally Posted By: Zhukov
Call me old-fashioned,

You're old-fashioned.
smile.gif

If you haven't noticed, there is a trend toward longer OCIs, 15-20K miles in some cases. The oil can handle it, but now you need a better filter to handle it, too.

I think the problem the OP is having is what the definition of the term "synthetic" means in terms of oil filters.

I'm sure if it was called something else, I would understand it better myself.

Synthetic media has a double benefit of being able to filter a higher percentage of small particles while having less pressure drop than cellulose media.

A "normal" oil filter uses paper or cellulose as the media filter, which is obviously made from wood. Since paper is a natural product, the fiber are not evenly spaced, and as such can cause uneven flow rate and filtration. (To the tune of a percent or two)

"Synthetic" oil filters are not made from paper, but 100% manufactured in the lab, giving the media even spacing in pore size and distance. This is where the better flow and filtration kicks in. Wire backing is often added as well, which ensures strength of the filter, to go the 15,000 OCI.

Do any any of the high end filters have multiple layers of different size media. The outer layer catching larger particles and inner layer catching smaller particles. Thus you can catch small particles but not get clogged quickly by large particles. I thought I had read about this awhile ago. (Years ago).

Yep, the answers here are pretty right on and sum up the advantages of synthetic media.

-better efficiency with less pressure drop
-better oil flow pre square inch of media at any efficiency equivalent
-higher contaminant capacity per square inch of media
-vastly less susceptible to media deterioration from water & acids

Downsides?

-no ability to absorb moisture (this ability is a two edged sword, but it's generally advantageous to grab small amounts of water from the oil and evaporate it before it has a chance to start the various chemical reactions in the oil)
-fractionally less able to capture certain types of oxidation residue
-higher cost

Yes, Donald, syn media is sometimes (if not often, though I have not checked in detail on each syn filter offering) made up of multiple layers of media of varying density and the outer is less dense. It's also possible to manufacture media in varying densities. Since the fibers are "engineered" they can be made in any size and shape to promote flow filtration. Synthetic nanofibers are fast becoming a part of the cellulose world where they are added to the media to improve efficiency without much cost in the flow/DP departments.

As to nomenclature, the "synthetic" name seems appropriate, though it is used rather deviously in marketing. Cellulose is manufactured from "natural" products. Synthetic media is man-made/engineered. The ad pukes know that "synthetic" reads as "better" to most folks, especially low information oil consumers. Still, that doesn't change the facts that they are indeed "synthetic" media filters and they are "better" in some measurable ways.

To save Dave Newton the trouble of chiming in ( : < ) whether that "betterness" is appropriate or cost effective in all cases is another question and that's where the low information oil consumer gets tripped up by the ad hype.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
Do any any of the high end filters have multiple layers of different size media. The outer layer catching larger particles and inner layer catching smaller particles. Thus you can catch small particles but not get clogged quickly by large particles. I thought I had read about this awhile ago. (Years ago).

FRAM's Ultra has two layers of media over the wire support structure. I'd imagine others have something similar.

Ok, all the above being said, which oil filters contain "true" synthetic media and wire backing?

Since the lawsuit almost all synthetic filters are now Grp III.
laugh.gif

Seriously, the Fram Ultra, Puro whatever they call it and Napa Platinum Wix are all synthetic fiber filters.

I'd use Wix XP (NAPA Platinum).

Purolator has failed to impress me with their quality as reported by members on this board lately.

Mobil1 filters are a syn blend, and people report they are very restrictive. Also, they never come on sale up here.

In not particular preferential order except as they came to mind, the "full syn" list includes: Fram Ultra, Amsoil EaO, Puro Synthetic, Wix XP/Napa Platinum, Royal Purple, Donaldson Endurance & Baldwin Synthetic (not many PC/LT apps). Might be a couple of other boutiques that are full syn. The Fram, Wix/Napa and Puro are all off the shelf at box stores and auto parts places.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I believe the Bosch Distance Plus filter falls into this group, along with possibly the Mobil 1-a blend of synthetic & cellulose media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back