What bike (s) do you have?

Posted by: whizbyu

What bike (s) do you have? - 05/21/13 05:56 PM

1) Surly Karate Monkey SS
2) Niner Jet 9
3) Dean Castanza
Posted by: aquariuscsm

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 05/21/13 06:04 PM

Diamond Back mountain bike and a 1st generation Diamond Back 20inch BMX from 82-83.
Posted by: Quattro Pete

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 05/21/13 06:06 PM

1) Schwinn Sidewinder

2) GT Transeo 2.0
Posted by: flanso

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 05/21/13 06:09 PM

2008 Giant FCR3
2010 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 6
Posted by: RISUPERCREWMAN

Harley Davidson FLHX Street Glide
Posted by: aquariuscsm

Bikes I want,79-80 Redline Proline,Schwinn Sting,Mongoose Supergoose,and a Team Mongoose. A titanium Bearmobile would be awesome too!
Posted by: motts

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 05/21/13 06:11 PM

Trek Shift 4 hybrid
Posted by: gathermewool

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 05/21/13 06:34 PM

Airborne Skyhawk. Pretty good specs for the price, comes 3/4 assembled in the mail. Couldn't be happier.
Posted by: NHGUY

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 05/21/13 07:11 PM

I had a 1971 Roadmaster training wheel bike,1974 Iverson Road Runner,1976 Montgomery Ward "Open Road" Bicentennial 10 speed,1978 Huffy Thunder Trail,and a 1992 LeeWorld Mountain Sport.Bicycle seats got very uncomfortable as I got older... lol

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 05/21/13 07:20 PM

How do we post pictures of our bikes?
Posted by: fxrider

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 05/21/13 07:54 PM

Harley Davidson Wideglide cool
Posted by: cchase

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 05/21/13 08:25 PM

Just sold my DH bike.

Now I'm down to my SS, Titus Motolite, and Giant OCR.
Posted by: bruckus

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 05/21/13 08:46 PM

Harley Davidson Roadglide Custom-Candy Orange

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 05/21/13 08:52 PM

I'm staggered by the number of clueless posters in here. It seems to happen every time a new thread is made in the cycling forum.

bruckus, fxrider, RISUPERCREWMAN, who else will join them on the list of people with no reading comprehension...
Posted by: dja4260

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 05/21/13 08:55 PM

Redline D440 29er with carbon fork

Gary Fisher Rig w/ Reba
Posted by: Doug Hillary

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 05/21/13 11:35 PM

Hi,
remnants from a past Amateur and Professional drug free career, I still have Cinelli and Coppi track bikes. I had a Frejus and others too

I still have a Vitus all alloy road bike, I also had Learco Guerra and Monark road bikes amongst others too

I have lots of Campagnolo equipment (gears, hubs etc), ISIDIS rims, Continental and D'Állesandro tyres too

Well back to the 50's, 60's and the likes is a long way to go....................
Posted by: SLCraig

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 05/22/13 07:17 AM

2009 Cannondale Rize Four.
2010 Specialized SX Trail 1 with upgrades.

Just emailed my contact at my local Giant dealer looking for a 2012 or 2013 Giant Seek 0 city bike. (I want it for paved path riding, for casual stuff)

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 05/22/13 07:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
remnants from a past Amateur and Professional drug free career, I still have Cinelli and Coppi track bikes. I had a Frejus and others too

I still have a Vitus all alloy road bike, I also had Learco Guerra and Monark road bikes amongst others too

I have lots of Campagnolo equipment (gears, hubs etc), ISIDIS rims, Continental and D'Állesandro tyres too

Well back to the 50's, 60's and the likes is a long way to go....................

Doug,

Do you have any pictures of your bikes? Would love to see some vintage high end gear!
Posted by: cutter

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 05/22/13 01:05 PM

I put these together from a bare frame and parts from trades, internet, ebay, etc.

Soma Rush
Samson (used yahoo auction japan to buy a used Samson, ship it to a friend in Japan, then have them ship to the US)
Felt F3C, bought the frame for 350. Currently needs different crankset and BB.

Posted by: gizzsdad

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 05/22/13 01:27 PM

1 - Lynskey R340

2 - Lynskey R230

3 - Gary Fisher Zebrano (hybrid)
Posted by: dailydriver

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 05/22/13 02:20 PM

Originally Posted By: cchase
I'm staggered by the number of clueless posters in here. It seems to happen every time a new thread is made in the cycling forum.

bruckus, fxrider, RISUPERCREWMAN, who else will join them on the list of people with no reading comprehension...

They may not be "clueless", but might actually be razzing on us human powered enthusiasts, since to some "bike" implicitly implies an engine and two wheels. wink

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 05/22/13 02:30 PM

I'm down to just a 2001 vintage, Sommerville, Mass. (one of the LAST from there, before they were sold to LiteSpeed) built Merlin Road, with all Campy Record (also 2001 vintage, except that I upgraded to ~2010 Record Carbon compact cranks), Kestrel carbon bars, Easton carbon seatpost, S.I. Flite TT saddle, and a Reynolds carbon fork with Mavic Cosmic Elite wheels.

Like Doug, I've had many road (and track) racing bikes in the past (from a racing career I started back when I was 13 in 1970).

But, unlike Doug (sadly enough), I did NOT hold onto my old, vintage rides. frown
Posted by: mcrn

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 05/22/13 06:47 PM

Giant Trance x2 29er and motobecane fantom 29er
Posted by: Doug Hillary

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 05/22/13 07:11 PM

Hi,
cchase - I'll take some and post again in the next day or so
Posted by: OVERKILL

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 05/22/13 08:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,

Doug,

Do you have any pictures of your bikes? Would love to see some vintage high end gear!

Same here thumbsup

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 05/22/13 08:26 PM

-Gary Fisher Wahoo
-Old Bianchi (in pieces) with a few Campy Record bits on it
Posted by: dmark

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 05/22/13 08:38 PM

82 Pinarello Treviso Full SL tubes & Campy Record 12sp friction shift
73 Peugot PX10 cheap French components (nice Reynolds 531) large rake in fork smooths bumps
Posted by: PeterGreen

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 05/22/13 08:47 PM

I have a fully engraved OLMO criterium bike with all Campy equipment, a Wilier from the mid-80s and a Bianchi from the late 80s, and a repainted Cilo from the early eighties, all road bikes. The Cilo was modified in the early 90s with triathlete style bars and Look pedals.
Posted by: javacontour

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 05/22/13 08:59 PM

Giant Defy 2. Two kids in college and one starting high school means the carbon fiber road bike is many years down the road, pardon the pun.

Posted by: LazyPrizm

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 05/22/13 11:31 PM

Roadie - Late '80s Nishiki International
MTB - Fetish Discipline hardtail
Beater - '80s Specialized Ladies Stumpjumper / rigid fork (in appalling melon/fuscia tones)
Unknown make/model '70s beach cruiser... with an analog speedometer!

The beater was my commuter bike for a good while, the others are purely for fun. I've been too big to ride the cruiser for years now blush
Posted by: nthach

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 05/23/13 01:54 PM

2005 LeMond Reno
2012 Specialized Tricross Sport disc compact
1980s era Bridgestone 200 converted to a singlespeed

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 05/23/13 04:19 PM

Originally Posted By: PeterGreen
I have a fully engraved OLMO criterium bike with all Campy equipment, a Wilier from the mid-80s and a Bianchi from the late 80s, and a repainted Cilo from the early eighties, all road bikes. The Cilo was modified in the early 90s with triathlete style bars and Look pedals.

I had a pearl white with chrome chainstays Olmo SLX road bike with all Super Record and Mavic SSC rims back in the early to mid '80s.

I did not even think anyone was importing Wiliers into this land until the last 5-10 years! Yours must be crazy rare here!! thumbsup
Posted by: rjundi

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 05/23/13 06:46 PM

M800 Beast of the East:

M700 Jeckyl LTD:

not my pics but same colors. Both Made in USA! Sad the enameled over sticker is crooked on my M800 of the US flag.

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 05/23/13 09:14 PM

New custom hand made by Peter Mooney of Belmont Wheelworks in Belmont, MA.

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 05/23/13 09:16 PM

Headtube detail.

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 05/23/13 09:17 PM

[img]http://www.flickr.com/photos/petermooney[/img]

In case you wanted to see more of Peter's works.

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 05/23/13 09:46 PM

Originally Posted By: whizbyu

New custom hand made by Peter Mooney of Belmont Wheelworks in Belmont, MA.

WOW!!! shocked
Posted by: mrsilv04

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 05/24/13 09:24 AM

Note that all of the 'clueless posters' (your words, not mine) are harley owners...

Just sayin' laugh

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 05/24/13 02:01 PM

Originally Posted By: whizbyu

Headtube detail.

NICE!! thumbsup

What brand/type of steel tubing is yours built out of??

I have the same headset in black, love it!!
Posted by: UG_Passat

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 05/24/13 07:51 PM

2010 Specialized Secteur Elite (with Mavic Kysrium Elite wheels)

2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er

2013 Cannondale CAADX Tiagra

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 05/24/13 08:17 PM

Columbus CroMoly
Posted by: tom slick

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 05/25/13 05:46 PM

1976 Schwin Racer
Posted by: jen0910

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 05/25/13 07:38 PM

2008 Giant Trance X with custom powdercoated suspension linkages

2011 Felt ZW75
Posted by: AITG

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 08/13/13 08:29 AM

My last serious road bike was a Holdsworth frame I assembled myself. Weinmann concaves, Huret Derailleurs, and a whole lot of alloy parts collected over the years. It was one fast road bike but it was like a 70s Corvette: it rode like a rock and took constant attention to ride well.

Today, its a Giant Rincon CS with a re-geared crankset. I lost 5 mph but it is sooooo much easier to ride: more comfortable, softer ride, more forgiving handling.

I learned that I ride to an exertion level. I get the same exercise from the Giant but it's at a slower pace.

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 08/13/13 05:12 PM

I remember some of those Holdsworths had some VERY elaborate/ornate lugs, no??

Didn't they also have a 'touring frame' model with heavily curved, sweeping seat stays, supposedly for a more 'cushy' ride?

My very first real road bike was a powder blue 531 Falcon with Weinmann rims built on Campy record HIGH flanges!
Posted by: AITG

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 08/16/13 01:02 PM

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
I remember some of those Holdsworths had some VERY elaborate/ornate lugs, no??

Didn't they also have a 'touring frame' model with heavily curved, sweeping seat stays, supposedly for a more 'cushy' ride?

My very first real road bike was a powder blue 531 Falcon with Weinmann rims built on Campy record HIGH flanges!

Mine was a straight up touring frame, made from Reynolds 531 tubing. The lugs were really well designed so there weren't stress risers in the tubing after brazing.

There was absolutely no danger of a cushy ride. Of course, 105 psi in the tires didn't help much. We used to joke that you could run over a dime and tell heads or tails right through the handlebars :-)
Posted by: SLO_Town

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 08/21/13 01:15 PM

My current fleet - all regularly ridden:

1) Seven Axiom Ti, full custom frame, 65CM c-t-c, full Campy Record Ergo 10-speed carbon fiber, Wound-Up fork, Campy Eurus wheelset, Moots Ti stem, Thomson Elite post, Zipp carbon fiber cages/Al bars, Speedplay pedals, Ti fasteners throughout
2) Saso, full custom frame, 64CM c-t-c, Tange Prestige/Ultimate tubeset, fillet brazed (a work of art - pure perfection), full Campy Record Ergo 9-speed, Wound-Up fork, DT Swiss RR1850 wheelset, Moots Ti stem, Thomson Elite post, Zipp Al bars, Chris King Ti cages, Speedplay pedals
3) Litespeed Owl Hollow 6/4 Ti, Rockshox XC fork, full Shimano XTR 9-speed, Mavic ceramic rims, Thomson Elite post/stem, Ritchey WCS Al bar, Chris King Ti cages, Time pedals, Ti fasteners throughout
4) Cannondale 6061-T6 Al tandem, full Campy Veloce Ergo 9-speed, Sugino crankset, Phil Wood hubs/BBs, Mavic 36/40 hole rims, Thomson Elite stem/posts, Rockshox stoker post, Ritchey WCS AL bars, Speedplay/Look pedals
5) Spares = complete Campy Eurus wheelset (road), complete Shimano XTR/Mavic wheelset (mtn), three BNIB Wound-Up forks, one barely used Serotta F1 fork (an absolutely legendary piece!!), half dozen BNIB Campy Record Ti cassettes, half dozen BNIB Campy Record chains (road), several BNIB Wippermann stainless steel chains (mtn), one BNIB Campy Record Al crankset, three BNIB road posts (Zipp, Thomson, Shimano Dura-Ace), three sets of BNIB Speedplay pedal sets, 5 or 6 BNIB Continental 700x25c Grand Prix tires, one dozen spare tubes, 5 or 6 barely used saddles, organized baggies full of miscellaneous fasteners/hardware, several barely used road and mountain bars....

Yeah, yeah....I know I'm not well.... :-)

Scott
Posted by: Clevy

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 08/21/13 01:16 PM

Specialized rock hopper. 9 speed rear. Hydraulic disk brakes.

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 08/21/13 05:23 PM

Originally Posted By: SLO_Town

1) Seven Axiom Ti, full custom frame, 65CM c-t-c, full Campy Record Ergo 10-speed carbon fiber, Wound-Up fork, Campy Eurus wheelset, Moots Ti stem, Thomson Elite post, Zipp carbon fiber cages/Al bars, Speedplay pedals, Ti fasteners throughout
2) Saso, full custom frame, 64CM c-t-c, Tange Prestige/Ultimate tubeset, fillet brazed (a work of art - pure perfection), full Campy Record Ergo 9-speed, Wound-Up fork, DT Swiss RR1850 wheelset, Moots Ti stem, Thomson Elite post, Zipp Al bars, Chris King Ti cages, Speedplay pedals
3) Litespeed Owl Hollow 6/4 Ti, Rockshox XC fork, full Shimano XTR 9-speed, Mavic ceramic rims, Thomson Elite post/stem, Ritchey WCS Al bar, Chris King Ti cages, Time pedals, Ti fasteners throughout
4) Cannondale 6061-T6 Al tandem, full Campy Veloce Ergo 9-speed, Sugino crankset, Phil Wood hubs/BBs, Mavic 36/40 hole rims, Thomson Elite stem/posts, Rockshox stoker post, Ritchey WCS AL bars, Speedplay/Look pedals
5) Spares = complete Campy Eurus wheelset (road), complete Shimano XTR/Mavic wheelset (mtn), three BNIB Wound-Up forks, one barely used Serotta F1 fork (an absolutely legendary piece!!), half dozen BNIB Campy Record Ti cassettes, half dozen BNIB Campy Record chains (road), several BNIB Wippermann stainless steel chains (mtn), one BNIB Campy Record Al crankset, three BNIB road posts (Zipp, Thomson, Shimano Dura-Ace), three sets of BNIB Speedplay pedal sets, 5 or 6 BNIB Continental 700x25c Grand Prix tires, one dozen spare tubes, 5 or 6 barely used saddles, organized baggies full of miscellaneous fasteners/hardware, several barely used road and mountain bars....

Scott

Impressive!

Which shoes do you use for the Speedplay pedals??

Sadly, (and amazing, considering how many top Pro tour, and Elite U.S. Pro teams ride Speedplay currently) not too many shoe manufacturers make a Speedplay specific bolt pattern shoe/sole. frown mad

I am thinking of getting the DMTs, if I can find my size, or just giving in and using the adapters with Bonts, since the stack height would not be very much given how paper thin their soles are. wink (Sidis NEVER fit my feet/toes correctly.)

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 08/21/13 07:06 PM

Scott

Impressive!

Which shoes do you use for the Speedplay pedals??

Sadly, (and amazing, considering how many top Pro tour, and Elite U.S. Pro teams ride Speedplay currently) not too many shoe manufacturers make a Speedplay specific bolt pattern shoe/sole. frown mad

I am thinking of getting the DMTs, if I can find my size, or just giving in and using the adapters with Bonts, since the stack height would not be very much given how paper thin their soles are. wink (Sidis NEVER fit my feet/toes correctly.)

Daily, thank you. All my bikes are pampered to the extreme. All but the tandem are parked inside the house. I lick the Seven and Saso off after each ride. Chains on all lubed before each ride using T9 Boeshield. Given my size and power, and all the climbing I do, I kill chains after just 1,500 miles or so. I usually ride about 4,000 to 7,000 miles a year, depending on what household projects have going on (I'm retired).

I ride Sidi "Megas" for both road and mountain. Size 49! My wife married me 'cause I'm big! ;-)

Why don't the Sidi's fit your feet? Perhaps the Megas will help....? They have a much wider toe box.

Scott

PS Thinking about adding another road bike to the fleet. A Moots Vamoots, or possibly a Calfee Dragonfly. It'll probably be the Vamoots. The Calfee looks really sexy, but I'm a Ti guy.

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 08/21/13 07:29 PM

I'm down to just a 2001 vintage, Sommerville, Mass. (one of the LAST from there, before they were sold to LiteSpeed) built Merlin Road, with all Campy Record (also 2001 vintage, except that I upgraded to ~2010 Record Carbon compact cranks), Kestrel carbon bars, Easton carbon seatpost, S.I. Flite TT saddle, and a Reynolds carbon fork with Mavic Cosmic Elite wheels.

Like Doug, I've had many road (and track) racing bikes in the past (from a racing career I started back when I was 13 in 1970).

But, unlike Doug (sadly enough), I did NOT hold onto my old, vintage rides. frown

DD, just noticed your earlier post. Nice! You know the Seven brand was started by some Merlin exiles when Merlin was sold? Rob Vandermark was the guy who left Merlin and started Seven. Seriously, a nicely kept Merlin turns my head every time. Sexy.

Scott

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 08/22/13 04:18 PM

DD, just noticed your earlier post. Nice! You know the Seven brand was started by some Merlin exiles when Merlin was sold? Rob Vandermark was the guy who left Merlin and started Seven. Seriously, a nicely kept Merlin turns my head every time. Sexy.

Scott

Yes, I do know that about Seven Cycles, as well as that they are one of the VERY few domestic builders doing their OWN carbon fiber lay-ups vs. going to Taiwan, or mainland China (so you KNOW where I'm going when I have the coin to go to a cf/kevlar composite frameset! wink )

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 08/22/13 04:47 PM

I ride Sidi "Megas" for both road and mountain. Size 49! My wife married me 'cause I'm big! ;-)

Why don't the Sidi's fit your feet? Perhaps the Megas will help....? They have a much wider toe box.

Scott

PS Thinking about adding another road bike to the fleet. A Moots Vamoots, or possibly a Calfee Dragonfly. It'll probably be the Vamoots. The Calfee looks really sexy, but I'm a Ti guy.

It is less the width of the shoe/toe box than the height of said toe box.
My feet are average to narrow width (they are 'swimming' in Megas), but for some reason very thick in height, so Sidis (and others) tend to crush my toes/cause blisters and abrasions.

I ride a 45.5 to 47/48, depending on manufacturers' sizing, so I also have a hard time finding my size in ANYTHING.

I am currently using an older pair of Carnacs, which I bought specifically because of their high, comfy, toe box, without being too wide.

But these are wearing out (Sinclair stopped bringing this brand into the country a LONG time ago), the stack height with the requisite Speedplay adapter makes me feel as though I'm a foot off of the pedals, and ONE of these shoes weighs TWICE what a PAIR of modern, carbon fiber compsite soled shoes does! frown crzy

I may just go back and try on the Sidi Wires (the ONLY current Sidis with a Speedplay specific sole) once more to see if I can 'live' with the discomfort.

BTW; is Calfee one of the scarce other U.S. frame builders doing their very own carbon fiber lay-ups???

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 08/23/13 08:13 PM

Scott

It is less the width of the shoe/toe box than the height of said toe box.
My feet are average to narrow width (they are 'swimming' in Megas), but for some reason very thick in height, so Sidis (and others) tend to crush my toes/cause blisters and abrasions.

I ride a 45.5 to 47/48, depending on manufacturers' sizing, so I also have a hard time finding my size in ANYTHING.

I am currently using an older pair of Carnacs, which I bought specifically because of their high, comfy, toe box, without being too wide.

But these are wearing out (Sinclair stopped bringing this brand into the country a LONG time ago), the stack height with the requisite Speedplay adapter makes me feel as though I'm a foot off of the pedals, and ONE of these shoes weighs TWICE what a PAIR of modern, carbon fiber compsite soled shoes does! frown crzy

I may just go back and try on the Sidi Wires (the ONLY current Sidis with a Speedplay specific sole) once more to see if I can 'live' with the discomfort.

BTW; is Calfee one of the scarce other U.S. frame builders doing their very own carbon fiber lay-ups???

DD, I used to ride Carnacs. They did have a tall toe box, it just wasn't wide enough for me.

The Calfee uses tubes manufactured by Enve. Calfee then joins them with their own carbon fiber wrapped "lugs".

If you are ever in California's Central Coast Wine Country, look me up. We'll figure out a way to get that sexy Merlin of yours out here.

The Pro Peleton would be impressed with the riding we have in this region. The worst part about the region's riding is that it can be isolated. There is virtually no automotive traffic. The road and scenery are outstanding but sometimes you have to plan ahead with respect to water, etc. In fact, some of areas I ride don't even have cell phone coverage. But, the best word to describe the road riding is "idyllic". It's spectacularly gorgeous and peaceful. It truly is.

Scott
Posted by: teddyboy

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 08/26/13 09:07 PM

Guru New Steel
Trek OCLV 5500
Eddy Merckx Titanium AX
Schwinn Paramount (1994 model last year built in Waterford)
Serotta Columbus SP 1983 year model
Posted by: lpcmidst128

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 08/30/13 12:09 AM

My current fleet. I ride mountain bikes for both trail and street use.

Huffy Enduro. The oldest bike I have in my garage, my neighbor gave it to me when they moved out. Not sure what year it was made but probably early 90s, likely made in USA. Very heavy steel frame, feels close to 40 pounds. Its a bit rusty and stuff is old tech. It has 15 speed, the front shifter is not indexed. Bike is a bit small for me since it has 24" tires, I don't really ride it so its more of a spare bike.

Trek 820. My newest addition, it has steel frame but doesn't weigh significantly heavier than a comparable entry level 6061 aluminum frame bike. Pretty good bike for the price.

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 08/31/13 06:54 PM

Originally Posted By: teddyboy
Guru New Steel
Trek OCLV 5500
Eddy Merckx Titanium AX

^^^NICE!! thumbsup

When I started racing as a 14 year old 'intermediate' (the age classes were VERY different back then) in 1970, in Joyzee, there was a club/team out of the Sommerville area called the Somerset Wheelmen, (I believe they are still around, based out of Flemington now) and almost all of them rode Campy equipped Paramounts of that era (531 tubing back then, correct?).
Posted by: john_pifer

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 09/14/13 11:41 AM

Road - 2012 Scott CR-1 Team, all-Shimano 105 components

MTB - 2011 Specialized Hardrock SportDisc 29 (mixture of entry-level components). Added a Hussefelt handlebar.

Incidentally, the right chain stay on the Hardrock broke at the bottom bracket weld after about a year of riding in Memphis (no rocks, nor any kind of really rough terrain). Specialized replaced frame under warranty, but did not cover labor, which was irritating. Shop charged $50 to swap components over, which they said was giving me a deal.

Interestingly, the original frame was made in China, while the replacement was made in Taiwan (preferable to me). Makes me wonder if they swapped production of these frames to Taiwan due to inconsistent quality.

I love to ride, off-road and on. Especially hills.
Posted by: Taildragger

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 12/23/13 07:13 AM

Intense 5.5 EVP, Fox suspenders, XT, King, Thompson, Hope,Schwalbe stuff.
Posted by: dlundblad

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 01/07/14 01:01 PM

I have a Trek 4500. One of the last "US" made ones. I need new front shocks though.
Posted by: gulian

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 01/10/14 07:03 PM

trek fuel 98 and a cannondale r100
Posted by: Cadenza

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 01/29/14 03:54 PM

1999 Kona NuNu (really) mountain bike
2012 Specialized Elite Comp hybrid
Posted by: mitsuman47

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 02/01/14 09:51 PM

2005 Specialized Stumpjumper fsr. She's been a few places.... UT, AR, TX, CO. She moved from east texas to Crested Butte, CO with me. And, came out unscathed in my worst wreck; waited patiently for me to wake up, and got me back home.
Posted by: mjoekingz28

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 02/05/14 06:47 AM

92-93 Trek 1200
Posted by: macdole99

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 02/16/14 09:13 PM

2012 specialized hardrock sport
2013 trek 820
Posted by: Gillsy

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 04/04/14 04:37 PM

2012 Cannondale CAAD10 105 group w/Michelin Krylions
Posted by: Toy4x4

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 04/06/14 11:05 PM

Gary Fisher Mt. Tam (Not mine in pic) http://brokenarrowbicycles.weebly.com/uploads/1/6/4/4/16444592/9727798_orig.jpg

Used to have a Schwinn 10 speed and a Redline Proline when I raced in 1984-85.
Posted by: 02SE

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 04/13/14 03:51 PM

1995 Trek 950 MTB.

I haven't ridden it in years, but I want to get back into riding. I'm looking for good tubes and tires that I can run on pavement, and the occasional dirt trail. 26" wheels.

Any recommendations?
Posted by: cjcride

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 04/18/14 11:54 AM

Originally Posted By: 02SE
1995 Trek 950 MTB.

I haven't ridden it in years, but I want to get back into riding. I'm looking for good tubes and tires that I can run on pavement, and the occasional dirt trail. 26" wheels.

Any recommendations?
Schwalbe.
Posted by: Hokiefyd

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 04/18/14 12:09 PM

1995 Trek 950 MTB.

Any recommendations?

I have an early '90s mountain bike that I've got set up for road/touring use. I replaced the triple front chain ring with a 42/53 Shimano 105 double and have a Dura Ace front derailleur from a friend's parts bin. Works like a champ! I run Michelin City tires on it, in 35-559 size (26x1.4"). These are the exact ones:

http://www.amazon.com/Michelin-Protek-Reflective-Sidewalls-26x1-4/dp/B001CSRX18

I've actually got the exact same setup as the first reviewer; I'm using these on an old mountain bike with 26x1.5 Araya rims. These will be ideal if you are looking at mostly pavement. If you are looking at more of a mix, I've used the Bontrager LT3s before and enjoyed those. They don't offer a solid center rib, and understandably feel a little more squirrely in corners.

Both of these tires are reasonably priced and offer good performance.
Posted by: Hokiefyd

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 04/18/14 12:24 PM

Just checked out Michelin's site to see if they still sell the City Protek. It doesn't appear that they do. They have something called the Protek Cross that looks right up your alley:

http://bike.michelinman.com/tires/michelin-protek-cross

The Protek (without 'Cross') looks to be the direct replacement to the City:

http://bike.michelinman.com/tires/MICHELIN-Protek
Posted by: 02SE

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 04/19/14 12:38 AM

Having been out of the Bike scene for so long, I really had no idea what's available. Without knowing any better, I probably would've ended up with some dirt-specific tire.

I appreciate the advice, and I'll check out the suggestions.
Posted by: Eric Smith

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 05/11/14 12:16 PM

Looking at bikes again since I miss riding a bike for my commute.. what a great way to de-stress. Right now this all I have but really need to get a better built bike.. but hey the bikes I have were either cheap or free with a single income no choice in the matter.

Huffy Tiempo .. ugly, old and heavy but with skinny tires not a bad mover.
DBX MTB .. Perhaps the best built bike.. heavy with 24" tires
Murray MTB .. yeah it's junk.. use it to haul the kids around campgrounds.
Posted by: miro

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 05/12/14 02:18 PM

Having been out of the Bike scene for so long, I really had no idea what's available. Without knowing any better, I probably would've ended up with some dirt-specific tire.

I appreciate the advice, and I'll check out the suggestions.

I have been using Schwalbe Marathon since 2001 and I forget about leaks. They rolls good too and have grip in dry and wet weather. Last years Schwalbe moves strongly in US too. I don´t know how much do they cost. In europe you can find them between 17..22 euro
Posted by: miro

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 05/13/14 03:33 AM

While I like Michelin tires for my car, the bicycle tires from Michelin is lagging behind competition nowadays. Schwalbe Vittoria and Continental are leaders., Kenda is OK too. Some small manufactures offer very good specific tires.
The modern bicycle tires are expensive and high-tech, e.g. Kevlar,Vectran, dual triple synthetic compounds .They are almost puncture free, rolls easy comfortable and some of them lasts 20 000.

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 05/13/14 06:55 PM

Vittorias (the 290+ TPI models) have always been the most responsive/best rolling road tires for me, only beaten by the old, now defunct, Clement Seta and Seta Extra, latex tubed sew-ups. wink
Posted by: daves66nova

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 06/08/14 04:29 PM

I have a Mondia Super,made around 1973. It's ALL Campy Nuovo Record.Brakes,hubs,pedals,rims,BB,crank,gears,seat post,dropouts,headset.Cinelli handlebars and neck.Ahhh,the old classic bikes!!!!

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 06/09/14 09:01 PM

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
I have a Mondia Super,made around 1973. It's ALL Campy Nuovo Record.Brakes,hubs,pedals,rims,BB,crank,gears,seat post,dropouts,headset.Cinelli handlebars and neck.Ahhh,the old classic bikes!!!!

Columbus SL, or ?
Posted by: Silverado12

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 06/11/14 10:41 AM

2006 Giant Yukon 25" frame
1976 Schwinn Continental 26"
1978 Motobecane Super Mirage 25"
2007 Worksman industrial 20"
Posted by: daves66nova

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 06/28/14 11:22 AM

Originally Posted By: daves66nova

Columbus SL, or ?
Columbus tubing
Posted by: Oilport

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 06/28/14 09:31 PM

1) 08 YETI 575 C.F. Tri.
2) 13 ON ONE FATTY ,C.F. Fork 2x20 ,Surly Knards
Posted by: spasm3

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 06/28/14 09:41 PM

I have a cannondale r900 campy chorus, Carbon seat post and forks. Barely has any miles on it as my hands get numb, i need to sell it. Its the last of the american made caad 8 frames. What should i ask for it?
Posted by: zzyzzx

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 06/30/14 12:41 PM

Vintage 1990 Miyata 721a road bike.

Looked a lot like this when it was new:

I have a rear rack and bag on the rack.
Posted by: Wheel

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 07/03/14 02:20 PM

Somehow I've missed this thread.

I'm down to 3 bikes...

1988 Cannondale SC500 w/Shimano 105 retro Criterium bike in blueberry
1989 Cannondale MB500 w/SunTour boat anchor/mountain bike
2001 DeRosa Merak w/Campy Record

not a fan of Vittoria's sew-ups. Conti Sprinters have held up much better for me on my Sunday best wheels.

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 07/03/14 09:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Wheel
not a fan of Vittoria's sew-ups. Conti Sprinters have held up much better for me on my Sunday best wheels.

Yes, as I have said before on here, I had a set of the old, late '70s -early '80s Conti road tubulars (forgot what they called them back then, but they were ~250 grams in weight), and they were aged about 2 years, and wore like the proverbial case hardened iron!

I even used them in a couple of DRY cyclocross events back then and I could NOT kill them!! crzy
Posted by: gregoron

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 07/07/14 03:58 AM

I have a Montague folding bike with mountain bike wheels. It fits in my Jetta's trunk wheels and all.
Posted by: Number_35

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 07/10/14 09:50 PM

At present:

2002 Rocky Mountain Fusion (MTB)

2010 Kona Dew Deluxe (hybrid)

In the family:

2004 Giant Iguana

2008 Giant Iguana

1985 Bianci Grizzly

1984 Norco Sasquatch (converted to single-speed fixi winter bike)

2005 Iron Horse

Peterbuilt recumbent

2 custom cross bikes

1 custom single-speed (winter bike)

1 custom road bike (carbon)

1 unicycle

(What have I forgotten?)
Posted by: MCompact

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 07/14/14 07:15 PM

1973 Raleigh Grand Prix with a few upgrades; I've owned it since new.
Posted by: chrisri

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 07/16/14 12:20 PM

2010 Gary Fisher Tassajara.
Posted by: Olas

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 07/19/14 05:54 AM

2011 Specialized Sirrus
All standard components and a few 'custom' chips & scratches many 000's of miles and the sentimental attatchment that comes from 'that' crash - a learner driver went through a red light and i woke up 4 days later with 72 stitches in my face..
the good news is my spesh and i are still here, and i found out later that her car was declared a total loss by her insurance company...so....that makes me so tough i can total a car with my face!
Posted by: chrisri

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 07/19/14 11:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Olas
2011 Specialized Sirrus
All standard components and a few 'custom' chips & scratches many 000's of miles and the sentimental attatchment that comes from 'that' crash - a learner driver went through a red light and i woke up 4 days later with 72 stitches in my face..
the good news is my spesh and i are still here, and i found out later that her car was declared a total loss by her insurance company...so....that makes me so tough i can total a car with my face!

LOL Olas sorry for your accident but what mileage you get from Specialized ? I get around 5 beers/20 km on my Gary if i'm lucky.

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 07/19/14 04:29 PM

Olas;

I will bet the director sportif of sky is now VERY MUCH regretting leaving Sir Bradley Wiggins off of their TdF squad, correct?? frown

I can sort of understand their rationale, there being only ONE single 'contre la montre', and MUCH elevation gain in this year's route, but still there is a greater than excellent chance that the ex world class and champion pursuiter would be in (and finish) within the top three. wink
Posted by: Michael_P

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 07/22/14 03:25 PM

My bicycles: N + 1 (some mountain, road & two hybrids)
Motorized: 2013 HD Night Train
Posted by: teddyboy

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 07/23/14 11:30 PM

Guru New Steel
Trek OCLV 5500
Eddy Merckx Titanium AX

^^^NICE!! thumbsup

When I started racing as a 14 year old 'intermediate' (the age classes were VERY different back then) in 1970, in Joyzee, there was a club/team out of the Sommerville area called the Somerset Wheelmen, (I believe they are still around, based out of Flemington now) and almost all of them rode Campy equipped Paramounts of that era (531 tubing back then, correct?).

Sorry I missed your post. Paramounts of that era were built either with Reynolds 531 or Columbus SL (SP) in the larger sizes. My casual empiricism suggests that 531 frames were probably more prevalent. My Paramount is built from Reynolds 753. Although the frame is in really good shape, I'm sending it to Waterford to be completely redone with new paint and decals, putting it back exactly as original. Since my original post, The Eddy Merckx Titanium wore out. It didn't fail, it just developed too much slop in the bottom bracket. It was very recently replaced by a custom built Lynskey.

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 07/25/14 04:56 PM

Guru New Steel
Trek OCLV 5500
Eddy Merckx Titanium AX

^^^NICE!! thumbsup

Sorry I missed your post. Paramounts of that era were built either with Reynolds 531 or Columbus SL (SP) in the larger sizes. My casual empiricism suggests that 531 frames were probably more prevalent. My Paramount is built from Reynolds 753. Although the frame is in really good shape, I'm sending it to Waterford to be completely redone with new paint and decals, putting it back exactly as original. Since my original post, The Eddy Merckx Titanium wore out. It didn't fail, it just developed too much slop in the bottom bracket. It was very recently replaced by a custom built Lynskey.

Lynskeys are COOL! thumbsup

My Merlin Road is also getting a little bit 'whippy' in the chainstay area as well, but still not too bad yet.

I would go carbon next, but am still a little wary over the way they just shear/crack, sometimes with NO warning or without even hitting a pothole/bump (see Alberto Contador's bike in this year's Tour eek ).

The era (and riders) of Paramounts I was speaking of were BEFORE 753 was even around!! grin2

I remember when 753 was introduced, and the whole Dutch Raleigh pro squad were riding frames built of the lighter tubing in the Tour that year. wink
Posted by: [RT] ProjUltraZ

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 07/26/14 03:59 AM

1986 Miyata Ridgerunner black w/ the 80s pink letters Bio-pace 170
1990 Trek 2500 carbon black ultegra but got dura ace 172.5 cranks
2013 Specialized Crosstrail disc white w/ red letters
Posted by: Texan4Life

Re: What bike (s) do you have? - 07/26/14 04:59 PM

Huffy