oil for mitsubishi pajero 2011 3.2 diesel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi to all members, thank you for contributing your time and knowledge to this forum.

for the past week, i have learned that choosing the right engine oil, is difficult, and complex.

so i'm asking for your help.

i have 2011 mitsubishi pajero\montero\shogun 3.2 diesel.(200hp)

my warranty is over, so i want to change the oil+minor things on my own.
and to know that the oil i pay for, is the best for my engine, and not some 5w30 label oil in the dealership.

here's the manufacture spec's:

5w30
ACEA: A5\B5 A4\B4 A3\B3
API-CF4

ok, from what i have learned is:
A5\B5 is top line, combining of A1B1-A3B3-A4B4
CF4 is obsolete, CF is better.

here's where i find it difficult to choose, i have 2 systems(catalytic converter + DPF) on my car that need ACEA: C1, C2, C3.
+
a1b1 a3b3 a4b4

i looked at this brands: Royal purple(good for the engine, very bad for DPF & catalytic converter).
AMSOIL, Mobil1, Valvoline, Motul, Castrol, Liqui molly,.

so, i ask for your advice, what oil would be best, for my engine?

thank in advance.

can you please link me to valvoline or castrol 5w30 with those standards?(you can point to other quality brand)

Originally Posted By: n0mad
can you please link me to valvoline or castrol 5w30 with those standards?(you can point to other quality brand)

Yes.. here you go

http://www.valvolineeurope.com/english/products/engine_oils/synpower_xtreme/cid(7726)/synpower_xtreme_env_c2_5w-30

Ofcourse I don,t know if you can buy it in Israel.

CF-4 is better than CF, but API declare them both obsolete, so oils can be recommended for/tested against, but not certified for CF anymore.

For the HTHS, some of the oil companies are making oils spot on the 3.5 so that they claim that they just fall into the above 3.5 and below equal 3.5.

When the Japanese spec oils for their diesels, they often make the specs exclusive so that an oil can't quite meet what they are asking for.

Things that will suit your needs, give or take a spec or two

Castrol Magnatec Diesel C3
http://www.tds.castrol.com.au/pdf%5C8913_Magnatec_ProfessionalC3_5W-40_2009_06.pdf

Mobil Delvac 1 LE 5W-30
http://www.mobil.com/Lithuania-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENCVLMOMobil_Delvac_1_LE_5W-30.aspx
Mobil Delvac 1 ESP
http://www.mobil.com/Australia-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENCVLMOMobil_Delvac_1_ESP_5W-40.aspx

Mobil 1 0W-40
http://www.mobil.com/Australia-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_0W-40.aspx

I've run this in my Nissan (CF, B4, DPF)
http://www.tds.castrol.com.au/pdf/5009_Magnatec_Professional_5W-40_119398_2009_06.pdf

Originally Posted By: shDK
http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/produ...&redirect=1

that seems to be more fitting.
it's either that or the valvoline env c2.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
CF-4 is better than CF, but API declare them both obsolete, so oils can be recommended for/tested against, but not certified for CF anymore.
I've run this in my Nissan (CF, B4, DPF)
http://www.tds.castrol.com.au/pdf/5009_Magnatec_Professional_5W-40_119398_2009_06.pdf

here's the place that told me cf is better than cf4:
http://wiki.seloc.org/a/Oil_Labelling_Explained

shannow, thank you, but no.

i need 5w30 u gave me w40, and i wouldn't dare go astray from oem spec.

this all race, after the perfect oil, is very Exhausting, and worrying, cause i afraid i might damage the engine after 3 4 thousand k.

Nope, HTHS is way below the 3.5 required for your A3/B4.

I mentioned the ealier oils, as Castrol (Australia) recommend
Edge 0W-40,
Magnatec Diesel 15W-40
Magnatec 10W-40

and Mobil (Australia)
M1 0W-40
X2 5W-40
S2 10W-40.

the 40s are recommended across the board generally.

Caltex C3 synthetic was a 5W-30 that advertised A3/B4, and C3, hanging on the 3.5 HTHS, but have been forced to drop the A3/B4.

The Liqui Moly stuff is Low SAPS, are you using ULSD in this engine? Can you get Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30?

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Nope, HTHS is way below the 3.5 required for your A3/B4.

I mentioned the ealier oils, as Castrol (Australia) recommend
Edge 0W-40,
Magnatec Diesel 15W-40
Magnatec 10W-40

and Mobil (Australia)
M1 0W-40
X2 5W-40
S2 10W-40.

the 40s are recommended across the board generally.

Caltex C3 synthetic was a 5W-30 that advertised A3/B4, and C3, hanging on the 3.5 HTHS, but have been forced to drop the A3/B4.

shannow, with all due respect, you are linking me to 5w40, and i need 5w30, thats what manufacture required, 5w40 could destroy my engine.(from what i have learned)
maybe in Australia the climate is different, otherwise, i have no idea why use 5w40 on 5w30 engine.

btw i need low HTHS, because anything with higher than 3.5 HTHS, is more of "heavy" oil, and could not lubricate my engine properly.(again, from what i have been told)

so i guess ENV c2 is the best for me.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
The Liqui Moly stuff is Low SAPS, are you using ULSD in this engine? Can you get Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30?

no, no ULSD in israel.

i need low saps oil, because of dpf\catalytic converter.

and the funny\frustrating thing is: OEM doesn't require C1 C2 C3, not in the car manual, but i must have it, or DPF\CC would be damaged.

have a great day guys, and thank you for your time and knowledge.
smile.gif

No probs, but the things that you are asking for are in combination mutually exclusive.

First, to the DPF...it's not specified as needing a C series ACEA oil, so where have you learned that you need a C2/C3 ?

If someone has told you, and it's not in the manual, then they are insinuating something that isn't stated by Mitsubishi.

You can't have a label that meets ACEA "C" series and A/B series anymore, so you cannot have an oil that meets both specifications on the label, but can have something that nearly meets them both.

Here's the ACEA specs, so that you can see what each offers.
http://www.infineum.com/Documents/ACEA/ACEA 2012 oil sequences.pdf

Your Mitsubishi specifies A3/B3, A3/B4 (there's no A4), which have an HTHS of greater than 3.5...this is met by a small number of 5W-30s, and a large number of 40s.

The links I posted were from the major oil suppliers in Oz...except the Delvac1 LE, which IS a 5W-30, but I reckon would do you fine.

A5/B5 requires an HTHS between 2.9 and 3.5...it's a completely different specification to A3/B3, A3/B4, not "top of the line, combining the other specs".

If your manual genuinely allows you to use both A3/B4, and A5/B5, then it will live on an HTHS of 3.5 and above, and also be happy with 2.9-3.5.

I think that whoever has told you that you need a C2/C3 oil, if not stated in your manual, is giving you dud information.

These things run on just about anything. Yes they have a DPF but do not need a low/mid SAPS oil. As you have stated, Any ACEA B spec will do or API CF (or better) will work too. From memory in a viscosity range of 5w30 to 20w40 is acceptable.

ACEA made C and B specs mutually exclusive in 2010, maybe for good reason. Nowhere does it say you can use ACEA C so I wouldn't.

My pick would be an ACEA B4 in a 5w40 or 0w40. If you want to use 5w30 thats fine. Castrol Edge 5w30 A3/B4 meets that.

I would pick delvac1 LE 5W30. It is lower SAPS but having HTHS over 3.5 it offers greater high temp protection for your long hot summers. P is only 800ppm for catalyst protection. Ash is slightly over prescribed C3levels (1.0 vs. 0.8) but it has very low volatility. My BMW X5 burns zero in 18000 km OCI.
It has a higher detergency level than the poor level supplied by C oils.
Charlie

Last edited:
I would consider Mobil Super 3000 X1 FE 5w30.

It is an A5/B5 oil but the saps are below 1.0

But not low enough to be consider a C1 oil which from my research is the reduced HTHS low saps spec.

I have had it in the Pathfinder for a while now, nearly 5k, no dpf lights or anything, and a very small improvement in fuel economy.

The owners manual for my Pathfinder only ever listed A3/B3/B4 for non dpf and C3 for dpf equipped vehicles.

But when i got hold of a workshop manual i found out that A5/B5 was allowed.

After finding out the new formulation of FE 5w30 had saps below 1.0, i think it is actually 0.8 i thought why not go for it.

Engine still uses no oil.

As Mobil Super is not top line like Mobil 1 products it is also a lot cheaper.

Next oci i am considering Shell Ultra AFL 5w30 C1. As i can then use same oil as my Jaguar.

Originally Posted By: n0mad
shannow, with all due respect, you are linking me to 5w40, and i need 5w30, thats what manufacture required, 5w40 could destroy my engine.(from what i have learned)
maybe in Australia the climate is different, otherwise, i have no idea why use 5w40 on 5w30 engine.

That's not very likely to happen. In any event, the requirements you posted are for an A3/B3 A3/B4 type oil, which will have an HTHS of 3.5 or greater. And, if you want to stick with 5w-30, your options are further limited. Do not be going for fuel economy gasoline only engine oils. The Delvac 1 LE 5w-30 already mentioned is about the closest option I can imagine of something reasonably familiar to me.

OP listed A5/B5 aswell.

Not common but my Pathfinder is also specced for normal and low HTHS oils.

I still think Mobil Super 3000 X1 FE 5w30 is a good fit.

Quality full synth, cheaper than Mobil 1 with low saps and has been a good fit for me in several different vehicles for me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: supercity
These things run on just about anything. Yes they have a DPF but do not need a low/mid SAPS oil.

This engine came out in 2000, based on a much earlier engine....it may now have common rail, but the engine block has been around for a long long time, around 1995. From my experience working at a Mitsi dealership - it'll run forever on anything. I remember the owners manual used to say use any oil better than CD for the 4M41.

first, i want to thank you all, deeply, from my heart, for helping me to do the smart choice, thanks again!

second, i feel like a fool, trying to do the right thing for my car, and even after all the effort, nothing conclusive, only so so.

yesterday i wanted to use valvoline 5w30 ENV C1, but local valvoline branch dosn't sell it.(said no demand for this specific oil, suggest 5w30 XL III.)
we have no mobil1 or amsoil importer.(from reading and reading, i would love to get amsoil)

so my option kinda limited.

we have castrol, valvoline, champion, liquid moly, Reinhol, and other oil's, but not wide selection to choose.

my request is this:
you guys tell me, 2 3 options, from those brands, and that will be it.

i'm feeling a bit ridiculous, after all the time and effort i spent, on oil.
i wish it would have been easy, but, well, its complex.

hope you guys do me this little favor, so i wont bother you or anyone else on the matter.

thanks, a million!

Have never had any issues with Castrol products.

Widely used in both petrol and diesel Ford and Volvo engines as most main dealers use Castrol.

I don't think you will notice much difference between Magnatec and Edge.

So i would say go for Castrol Magnatec 5w30

Liqui Moly is well.spoken on the forum but i have never used it personally

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back