Red Wine and White Wine

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the recommended bottle of red and bottle of white for a 24 year old to keep handy in his first place?

I'm looking for something that is well rounded meaning it will do well when having a glass to relax and unwind and also to serve with a nice home cooked meal? It also has to be easily available at local stores.

Of course, as a recent college grad, I'm on a budget.

I'm just starting to get more into wine and want to start off with something right. I'm hoping that the wine veterans can help out a rookie.

What is your suggested bottle of red and bottle of white without breaking the bank

Costco member? They have a 1.5L of their Kirkland Signature brand Cabernet that is really tasty - $7.99

Yellow Tail is pretty good too, and available at most stores. Trader Joe's is a great resource also.

Believe it or not, the Target Wine Cubes are pretty good too.

while we are lucky to have a few wine producers here on BITOG, I think you are better served to find your closest beverage depot local place and ask questions there.
you can also hit the sales at your local walmart/kroger/meijer/target/aldi/ spanish/italian/east european grocery store.

remember, wine is to be enjoyed...

Can't really go wrong with a Riesling, even a cheap one. They tend to be tastier than your typical Chardonnay. Most cheap Chards taste like liquid oak tree. Although, Yellow Tail unoaked Chardonnay is pretty good for a $5 bottle of wine since it has some flavor and not just oak.

My advice: try some semi-sweet or not terribly dry wines first, then move into the truly dry wines as your tastes evolve.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Can't really go wrong with a Riesling, even a cheap one.

Seems a lot of my wife's girlfriends are into riesling. It's definitely on the lighter/sweeter side. I'm not a fan personally.

Viognier is another decent one - it's somewhere between riesling and chardonnay, I'd say, as far as the balance between sweet and dry.

As for reds, I'm a big fan of pinot noir as well as some malbec. My current favorites are Sebastiani (pino), and Gascon (malbec), alas, these aren't the cheapest.

By the way, this thread belongs in the Food/Beverage section where we have had many other wine-related discussions over the years.

Guinness Draught.
laugh.gif

I'm personally a merlot (spelling?) fan. Anything with a little citrus tang is good for any occasion IMO.

Not too experienced on wines though. Lol.

I prefer Pinot Noir. I wish wine was cheap here like it is south of the border..try different types and see what you like. Experiment, its part of the fun! White wine id say Nobilo. Easy drinking. Reds, I like australian reds and pinots.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Can't really go wrong with a Riesling, even a cheap one.

Seems a lot of my wife's girlfriends are into riesling. It's definitely on the lighter/sweeter side. I'm not a fan personally.

Viognier is another decent one - it's somewhere between riesling and chardonnay, I'd say, as far as the balance between sweet and dry.

As for reds, I'm a big fan of pinot noir as well as some malbec. My current favorites are Sebastiani (pino), and Gascon (malbec), alas, these aren't the cheapest.

By the way, this thread belongs in the Food/Beverage section where we have had many other wine-related discussions over the years.

+1 on the Viognier.

Can't really go wrong with a Riesling, even a cheap one. They tend to be tastier than your typical Chardonnay. Most cheap Chards taste like liquid oak tree. Although, Yellow Tail unoaked Chardonnay is pretty good for a $5 bottle of wine since it has some flavor and not just oak.

My advice: try some semi-sweet or not terribly dry wines first, then move into the truly dry wines as your tastes evolve.

I don't know that I'd entirely agree with that.
I like Chardonnay but my wife prefers a Riesling, so we compromise and usually drink Riesling.
My wife would agree with you that even cheap Rieslings are usually pretty good.
Incidentally, a decent and not necessarily expensive Chardonay is very fruity and does not reek of oak.
The one white we really don't like is Pinot Grigio.
A distinctive taste we both find unpalatable.
In reds, a Beaujolais Nouveau is very easy to appreciate. Malbecs are almost always good and can be bought pretty cheaply.
If the OP is near a place that offers a variety of wines at reasonable prices, he should buy a few bottles and see what he likes.
Once he decides on a wine as a favorite, he should lay in a case to take advantage of the almost universal 10% discount.
Of course wine, like oil, can always be found at a deal somewhere, often with MIR.

MD 2020 and Thunderbird are great for a cheap high...JK
The wife and I like Merlot and there are several reasonable ones out there. Corbet Canyon can be had for about $7.50 a 1.5L.
Blackbox is a boxed Merlot that goes about $22 for a 3L box...it's surprisingly good.

Any red from the Rioja district in Spain is a great value - Bordeaux style at a much lower cost ($12-20). Under $10, try Mondavi Pinot Noir or Concannon Petite Sirah.

Reislings are nice light & fruity whites, great for an aperitif or summer picnic wine. For a similar but somewhat zestier alternative, try a California Gewurtztraminer. For a drier white, Turning Leaf makes a nice Chardonnay below $10.

Tom NJ

14 Hands from Washington State has a great red & white selection and is widely distributed here in the Midwest (Costco, Walmart, etc.... ) It's around $9-10/bottle. Congrats on the new place - Enjoy!

My wife drinks wine, and beer too, almost everyday at dinner time but I don't enjoy alcohol. Once in a while I had a sip of wine from my wife glass, all of them tasted the same. I can't tell the difference between $5-10 a bottle and $20-30.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I like Chardonnay but my wife prefers a Riesling, so we compromise and usually drink Riesling.

That's not a compromise, more like a forfeit, although I do the same (I dislike Rieslings).

All in the name of nookie.
thumbsup2.gif

If I had just one bottle, it would likely be the Ventana Grenache from Monterey.

Its a really tasty red. Go for the 2009.

For a zin, Id go with Bella Big River Ranch Zinfandel, also a 2009...

However if you only had one white, Id probably go with a rieseling. Chateau Ste Michelle is good, and ubiquitous, though there are other better German and American ones.

A Louis Jadot Beaujolais villages and a Chateau Ste Michelle Riesling should be able to be found anywhere you go, so are good standbys. You might substitute an Argentinian Malbec for the Beaujolais as you determine what you like. Neither are too heavy and I like them with all kinds of food.

Some other thoughts are:

Palacio de Menade Rueda

Alfio Moriconi Selection Pays D'oc Pinot Noir.

They may be harder to find.

Get that Grenache and maybe a nicer German Riesling, , and then for cheaper the LJ Beaujolais and the Chateau Ste Michele for use at a lower price point.

Originally Posted By: lancerplayer
What's the recommended bottle of red and bottle of white for a 24 year old to keep handy in his first place?

I'm looking for something that is well rounded meaning it will do well when having a glass to relax and unwind and also to serve with a nice home cooked meal? It also has to be easily available at local stores.

Of course, as a recent college grad, I'm on a budget.

I'm just starting to get more into wine and want to start off with something right. I'm hoping that the wine veterans can help out a rookie.

What is your suggested bottle of red and bottle of white without breaking the bank

That's a question that, without more information, is impossible to answer.

You haven't given any information about your preferences. Do you prefer a dry wine? Something sweet? In between?

Wine characteristics can vary widely in the same varietal and from year to year. What I find outstanding you might not care for, and vice versa.

If I were to make a recommendation I'd suggest visiting some local wineries and tasting the various selections to get an idea of what you like and don't like. Then find a good quality wine store that offers samples and try some non-local varietals to see what you like and don't like. Pick up a few bottles and enjoy them, and start to develop your palate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back