GM Supercharger Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I recently purchased a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (Quite the step up for me from the Focus).

This is the first car I have ever owned that has forced induction (supercharged). I know the snout on the Eaton M90 supercharger has oil in it and beside it being the most haneously foul smelling stuff ever, I know nothing about it.

I know there is debate as to whether it ever needs changed or not, the manual doesnt specifically call for it but help me out with my curiousity. Know one seems to have any info as to what weight oil this is or its make up. I searched for a UOA and VOA but came up empty other than one post with not a whole lot of new info.

So does anyone know. I changed the coupler in the snout this weekend and ended up re-using the oil because none of the GM dealerships here in town had any of the Supercharger oil but I'd like to change it out just for my own peace of mind and becuase Im just finiky that way.

I would surely appreciate any info. I suspected it would be a gear oil, but someone on one of the GP boards said a gear oil was too thick and after sucking that stuff out I would say it probably would be. I havent a clue though to what could stand up to that kind of RPM (I think it turns around 11k RPM if I have my fact straight) and the heat.

I would like to use an Amsoil product, but I contacted them and they dont have any replacement for it, so for now Im just out to satisfy my curiousity as to what the make up of this stuff is. Once I get some replacement oil I think I'll get some extra and send it off for analysis just for grins and giggles.

I used to have a GTP - great cars and the L67 is among GM's finest engine.

First of all go to www.clupgp.com for anything you want to know about GPs.

I can tell you that GM supercharger oil is a unique type of oil. Don't substitute it for gear oil or anything else. I've read that the closest substitute is Redline synthetic power steering fluid but have never tried it.

If a Pontiac dealer doesn't stock it then try a Chevy dealer. You can also order it at partszoneonline.com.

Thansk for the reply dave. I have indeed signed up at clupgp and the okcgp forums as well. I searched there and didnt come up with anyting, but I didnt post the question either.

I dont plan on doing any substitutes at this point, but with the lack of info on this product my curiosity was eating at me and Im on a mission now, LOL.

By no means substitute the Redline PS fluis for the real stuff!

The Chevy dealer near me didn't stock the oil, but the Buick/Dodge dealer (who doesn't sell Chevy's OR Pontiacs) stocked it. Go figure.

You may also look into any kind of performance shops or import tuner shops in your area.

I thought maybe the Chevy dealer would have since some of the Monte Carlo's have the same motor. I hadnt thought of Buick, but the some of the Buick Regal's also have the same motor too, might be worth checking into.

Spend the money on the GM-spec'ed oil. I suppose you could probably substitute a synthetic aviation turbine oil, but I haven't heard of anyone trying, and that stuff's expensive too (gotta meet those FAA and MILSPEC requirements somehow).

Buy the GM oil, I've listed the igredients and it's nothing like any off-the-shelf oil. Don't let anyone from ClubGP or RegalGS.org tell you differently they are very ignorant of such things.

-T

LOL. Well if I remember correctly you have or had a GTP, correct? Ive read a few of the posts, some of them make me kinda cringe not knowing the make up of the oil. However, I would definately play it safe in this instance and just use the GM oil.

I have a tendency to want to experiment and try different things, but my lack of experience with a supercharger defaults me to use what I know to work, in this case, the GM oil.

quote:

SyntheticShield:

.... so for now Im just out to satisfy my curiousity as to what the make up of this stuff is. Once I get some replacement oil I think I'll get some extra and send it off for analysis just for grins and giggles.

There is a readily available GM oil for it:

http://www.zzperformance.com/products.php?id=106

Magnuson Products, which is the Eaton-approved rebuilder, says the oil is good for the life of the unit:

http://www.mn12performance.com/magnuson/magnuson.htm

(MN12 Performance deals with FOMOCO products, and FOMOC also uses the Eaton supercharger, which means you could also get the oil from a Ford dealer)

Magnuson Products also sells the oil, which is a synthetic and which they apparently source from Eaton.

You could also contact Eaton:

http://www.automotive.eaton.com/product/engine_controls/superchargers/M90.asp

A good portion of it is polyol ester. Says so on the bottle. The strong smell is probably extreme pressure additives. So no I definitely would not use ATF. Gear oil if you must substitute (but that is probably on thick side) but why not get the real stuff, it's not expensive.

Well, as stated, I was curious as to the make up of the oil. I looked for UOA/VOA's and found none, so I was curious as to what the oil was made of and what it looked like on the reports. I wasnt necessarily looking for a replacement oil.

Well, I had a 2000 3.8L V6 Buick which I changed out the SC oil and used Amsoil 0W30. Ran it for 30,000 miles until I had to give the car up and the SC ran absolutely fine with it. I now have another 3.9L sc V6 but so far I have used the GM product, at 7.95 for 4 ounces of the stuff. So far mine has been clean looking but on my orignal is was somewhat dirty and smelled. Anyway, the 0W30 Amsoil does work, at least it did for the 30,000 miles I had it in the other Buick. I had read many years ago that the GM oil was synthetic 5W30 regular motor oil but who knows.

quote:

Originally posted by Jason Troxell:
A good portion of it is polyol ester. Says so on the bottle. The strong smell is probably extreme pressure additives. So no I definitely would not use ATF. Gear oil if you must substitute (but that is probably on thick side) but why not get the real stuff, it's not expensive.

I too once owned a 3.8L SC car (a Buick Regal GS). I don't know what's in the SC oil, but I have to disagree that it's "not expensive". Last time I changed it out, it was over $5 for a little 6 oz bottle. All I can tell you for sure is that it is clear as water, stinks terribly, and seems thin. But given the stakes, irrespective of the cost, I would not mess with using other products.

Yes the cost per volume is high but total cost is not. You only need one bottle IIRC. It's really not too bad when you consider it is pretty much a FULL Polyol oil with some other organic esters and TONS of EP adds.

quote:

Originally posted by Jason Troxell:
Yes the cost per volume is high but total cost is not. You only need one bottle IIRC. It's really not too bad when you consider it is pretty much a FULL Polyol oil with some other organic esters and TONS of EP adds.

No real argument with this, but IIRC, it was two bottles and maybe part of a third. Still and all, not a back-breaking expense, it just felt like I was being taken.

On the S/C 3800, does the boost only kick in when you give it full throttle? In other words, does it bleed off the extra psi when you don't need to go fast in order to conserve gas?

Yes to some extent. But it's not WOT only. If you are accelerating at moderate throttle you will get some boost. It's more efficient than a downshift.
Works fairly well. I think the Supercharged engine is <10% difference in MPG than the non. Of course you need to use premium gas though.

quote:

Originally posted by BatmanLS1:
On the S/C 3800, does the boost only kick in when you give it full throttle? In other words, does it bleed off the extra psi when you don't need to go fast in order to conserve gas?

In the Regal GS, there's a digital boost guage on the panel. It's pretty much a just-for-fun thing, but it is interesting to watch and try to figure out the computer's logic in using boost. Obviously, when you call for full power, you get as much boost as the brain decides is safe, within its programmed parameters. Below full power, my impression was that the computer attempts to apply the blower to emphasize using raw torque instead of downshifting when you want to accelerate. For example, where in a similar NA V-6, a half throttle accel would get you an immediate downshift and increase in rpm, with the GS, you'd get a satisfying, rumbling grunt as the trans stays in a higher gear, boost comes on in the mid-range of psi, and the rpms increase only slightly as the car's speed increases. The setup creates almost a "faux V-8" feel (if not the smooth V-8 purr...).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back