How much better is Shell gas than Exxon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
what your real question is...

how much better are shell gas additives than exxon gas additives.

Prediction: this thread will get filled with fanboys of each brand of gas, with no objective data to back up their claims.

That being said, I have used pretty much every brand of premium (91-93) gas under the sun in many different vehicles and not once did I say, "this gas sucks, I'm never buying it again."

Fuel quality is all over the place up here. Recently I found good fuel at Irving in North Salem near MCKinnons, and at the Mobil near my house in Kingston. Surprisingly I got terrible ( high octane) gas at the Mobil next to the BMW dealership in Stratham. The Shell in Kingston pours garbagre more. frequently than not.
Guess it depends on what the fuel guy was hauling b4 he got a gasoline load, how much free water there is in the UGST , how much Ethanol there is in the blend and how nice the blend ended up at the Terminal that batch. Its like buying vegetables at the market or vintage wine. Too many variables to say brand X is better than Brand S.
I will say I have enjoyed Xom latest additive wizardry last summer more than anything else in the low octane stuff araound these parts.

Why do you need high octane?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: salv
Shell is not better than Exxon or vice versa. Both are high quality gasoline. Buy whichever is cheaper.

I was thinking the same thing...

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: salv
Shell is not better than Exxon or vice versa. Both are high quality gasoline. Buy whichever is cheaper.

I was thinking the same thing...

+1 Same difference, buy the cheapest, easier to get in/out of, whatever other criteria you pick.

Originally Posted By: taurus_sable
I usually use Shell 93 only. But I can find Exxon 93 for $0.15/gal cheaper than Shell in my area. Is it worth the switch?

taurus_sable,

Out of the two gasolines you mentioned Shell is the most expensive in my area so That's why I refuse to buy any Shell product. I mean the price per gallon is in the mid four dollar range with for sure the 91 octane is an easy $4.99/gallon.

I know this has been mentioned before and I don't want to open a new can or worms.Personally I don't feel Shell is any better than Exxon.

ARCO gas is priced reasonable and it's price is still in the mid three dollar range. That's why I try to pay cash now and use the card only when necessary. This California gas price is for the birds!

Durango

Last edited:
Best way is to use you butt dino and observe long term mpg trends.

I have observed differences in gas with the butt dino (LOL unintended joke) and I suspect it is to do with ethanol % which can vary.

I have observed better performance with Shell and Valero and sluggish performance with Chevron. 76 and Costco somewhere in between.

BUT, 15c is about a 5% difference which I doubt you'd recoup even if the expensive gas has zero ethanol and the cheap gas has the maximum 10%.

How are people determining a good gas vs a crummy gas? Most cars have anti-knock sensors so you may not notice a tiny difference in octane. Fuel tanks and fuel filters are usually spotless unless you have not driven the vehicle for many years.

Most people are not pulling heads to look for deposits and doing fuel injector testing to see how clean they are.

Originally Posted By: Donald
How are people determining a good gas vs a crummy gas? Most cars have anti-knock sensors so you may not notice a tiny difference in octane. Fuel tanks and fuel filters are usually spotless unless you have not driven the vehicle for many years.

Most people are not pulling heads to look for deposits and doing fuel injector testing to see how clean they are.

My point exactly. I don't understand the arbitrary "gas X is better than Y" posts. There are minimum quality requirements anyway.

Given that both are blessed by the "Top Tier" Gods, I'd say they are about the same.

Meh, they travel in the same pipeline.

Had a buddy who swore he got better mpg with Shell. If your mpg doesn't vary with fuel, buy the less expensive of the two.

I've never liked shell gas for 1 reason, but today 2.
the first being, it always costs more no matter what.
the second stems for my Ranger
the people who owned my truck before me used shell exclusively, they had to put 92 (at the time) octane in. When I bought it from them, they told me if I didn't use 92, the motor would ping constantly.
So after the tank emptied out, I decided to test that theory and I put Unocal 76 regular unleaded in. Not one problem.
after that tank, I put 10 gallons of shell regular unleaded (87) in, and yes, I noticed a ping.
I burned 5 gallons up, and filled up on Unocal 76 regular unleaded.
the pinging stopped. Next 3 tanks were Unocal.
I then went to Arco because I was out of town and didn't want to use Shell. Not one problem.
Well fast forward 15 years, I use cheap fuel, Costco mainly, Valero if I'm deathly low (cuz a valero station is across the street from me). No pinging, no problems.

However, where I live, there's 3 gas suppliers, shell, chevron and this one called golden eagle. Of these 3 refineries, I know that wherever you go, you're getting one of these fuels.
You get the same gas, but their proprietary additives.

So all you can do is hope you're getting what you're getting.

Originally Posted By: dparm

My point exactly. I don't understand the arbitrary "gas X is better than Y" posts. There are minimum quality requirements anyway.
Throttle response, power, power availabilty etc. Things Sentient beings might notice. Oh, thats right we are in the Dark Ages - Part Deux. Flat earthers rejoice!

Quality requirements and Top Tier policing is a Joke.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted By: dparm

Throttle response, power, power availabilty etc. Things Sentient beings might notice. Oh, thats right we are in the Dark Ages - Part Deux. Flat earthers rejoice!

Quality requirements and Top Tier policing is a Joke.

You really notice that big of a difference in power from one brand of gas to the next? Your butt dyno is the most sensitive I've ever read about, in that case.

I've never seen anything conclusive, but I'd bet the average person can't even detect a 5% change in power output. It's why companies who sell air intakes claiming 7hp laugh all the way to the bank.

With those two brands, I would go by price, unless the Exxon station is poorly maintained and a low volume station, increasing the chance of getting contaminated or stale fuel (then I might pay the 15¢ premium). I have Shell, Mobil, Chevron, 76, ARCO, and USA stations within 1.5 miles of my house. I normally go to the Shell or Chevron stations, but will also buy from the Mobil or 76 stations (I drink the Top Tier koolaid) if they are less expensive or more convenient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back