Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises.

Posted by: Popinski

Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises. - 08/06/11 08:41 AM

Ok. In my neighborhood, we have people with modified V8's and Diesels and they sound very nice. They work first shift and they are considerate to not rev their engines in the morning.

Well..........things have changed. Last week, we had a family move in and unfortunately two of them have big [censored] exhausts. One guy has a 1994ish Honda Civic and another has an old school Mazda 323. What's worse is that one of them is neon orange and another is lime green. Both says "Hernandez" in the back in Gothic font. Every morning, noon, night, it doesn't matter, they rev their engines so loud and gun it down the streets.

Questions:

1. Why do people think flatulent sounds cool?
2. Why are people so inconsiderate to others, especially when moving into a peaceful neighborhood?
3. Why do people waste their money on annoying exhaust instead of using the money properly on basic repairs on the car?
4. Why aren't these illegal yet?

My Elantra is beat up and old but I take great care of it and my engine and exhaust is quiet because I used money to fix them if they're broken.
Posted by: Tim4mods

Re: Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises. - 08/06/11 08:50 AM

I know exactly what you mean I myself don't think it sounds cool there are some execptions but yes they can be quite annoying in the morning going by sometimes it doesn't matter what time it is. Carefull though there are some people on here that could get offended.
Posted by: eljefino

Re: Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises. - 08/06/11 08:52 AM

This thread is worthless without pictures.
Posted by: AstroTurf

Re: Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises. - 08/06/11 08:52 AM

Modified V8s or Diesels with loud exhaust are just as bad as a Modified 4 cylnder...

Different Strokes for Different Folks. Go buy some earplugs or Buy their house.

Hope it helps, Jim
Posted by: simple_gifts

Re: Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises. - 08/06/11 08:57 AM

Quote:

3. Why do people waste their money on annoying exhaust instead of using the money properly on basic repairs on the car?

Is it evident they are not maintaining their cars; I believe no one's hobby stands up to any economic scrutiny.
Posted by: 01rangerxl

Re: Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises. - 08/06/11 09:22 AM

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

Is it evident they are not maintaining their cars; I believe no one's hobby stands up to any economic scrutiny.

I've seen a lot of pooting (since the other word is banned) Japanese cars that are also huge oil burners. Mitsubishis are usually the worst offenders. If you hear that exhaust note and see smoke, there's a good chance its an Eclipse, 3000GT, or better yet a Mirage.
Posted by: Cutehumor

Re: Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises. - 08/06/11 09:23 AM

Pop, your neighborhood sounds scary to live in!
Posted by: Rand

Re: Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises. - 08/06/11 09:32 AM

where in ohio is this..

I'm up by akron currently.

my street is ok by me.. but go about a 1/2 mile north and its the gangsta zone.... what that thunder... noo its gunshots.

the 40 thugs spilling off the corner and into the road is kinda scary too.

My favorite is the people driving on the wrong side of the road because of parked cars.. think they have the right of way and will drive right up to you head on instead of ducking off to a side thats clear (ie end of driveway) then start honking and waving arms.

Posted by: SteveSRT8

Re: Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises. - 08/06/11 09:35 AM

Loud exhausts are my pet peeve. Between the Harley's, Sake suckers, and the hot rodders the noise level can be considerable!

Just wait till you get behind the tuned diesels that BELCH black smoke when they drop the hammer. Generally too [censored] loud as well.

There are laws on the books but they are rarely enforced.
Posted by: Spazdog

Re: Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises. - 08/06/11 09:59 AM

Some people equate noise with power.

One of the quickest street cars I ever saw was a very quiet GNX. You could hear the turbo and the street slicks slapping at the pavement more than you could the engine's exhaust note

I have an aftermarket exhaust (Racing Beat) but my exhaust is actually quieter than the factory exhaust on my Chrysler.

My Chrysler actually has a muffler, but is still almost as noisy as a Neon SRT/4 that came from the factory with no mufflers. Turbochargers usually sort of muffle the exhaust sound...I guess that's what the SRT engineers were counting on when they didn't include mufflers.

I never get above 30mph in my neighborhood. Throttle input is minimal and I don't think my car sees anything north of 2500 rpm so even with a (relatively quiet) exhaust, my neighbors get minimal sound.

Wish I could say the same about the MarkIV Jetta, V10 F250, and several of the motorcyclists in my neighborhood. The V10/glasspack combination sounds like [gluteus], the Volkswagen driver apparently needs everybody to know his car is turbocharged because he is constantly revving and letting it blow off, the Harley riders must need more practice taking off from a stopsign because they all rev way too high, and the sportbike riders are all 2 gear queers. Seriously. Why are you driving around at 10,000 rpm? UPSHIFT YOU IDIOT!!!!
Posted by: sciphi

Re: Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises. - 08/06/11 10:02 AM

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Just wait till you get behind the tuned diesels that BELCH black smoke when they drop the hammer. Generally too [censored] loud as well.

There are laws on the books but they are rarely enforced.

I saw a jacked-up diesel pickup with a bumper sticker that read "Get Back or It'll Get Black!". Appreciate the sentiment of not tailgating, but rolling coal is lame. I'd think his truck were out of tune if I didn't know better.

There's a murdered-out Escape with a weedeater exhaust down the street from me. Fortunately it's rarely driven.
Posted by: dja4260

Re: Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises. - 08/06/11 10:07 AM

Silly Mexicans

If your offended, you don't live and experience what I do. Beat up cars with loud exhaust, odd colors, beat to heck, and lots of stickers. NO consideration for others and you better hope to god you don't get into an accident with them. They have (if any) the cheapest, local foreign insurance possible.

At least they work however.....
Posted by: GROUCHO MARX

Re: Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises. - 08/06/11 10:09 AM

Are you sure it's their cars making these noises and they're not eating excessive amounts of beans?
Posted by: Virtuoso

Re: Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises. - 08/06/11 10:11 AM

Out here in the sticks, you run into the tricked-out diesel trucks more often than the flatulence-can Hondas. In some ways, I find them even more annoying. I don't find the loud bloaty exhaust note of a diesel sexy at all (most hicks probably do); and the black smoke that consumes you behind them is nasty.

It's even better if they're raised just a little, and the exhaust is pointed right at your car's open window.
Posted by: beanoil

Re: Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises. - 08/06/11 10:15 AM

Hernandez in script is kinda like African Americans wearing their pants below their behind. It's hard not to stereo-type when the evidence is as loud as a late eighty's big body with the truck deck rattling from a 2000 dollar stereo in a 700 dollar car. Every police car says "To protect and to Serve". Make them serve a citation. And if your neighbors are like minded, form an organized neighborhood with city recognition, and have the ubiquitous "Neighborhood Watch" signs posted.
Posted by: Touring5

Re: Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises. - 08/06/11 10:22 AM

I'm lucky that we only hear the occasional [censored]-can equipped vehicle pass through. However, I do have a "neighbor" whose son has a late model Mustang that has a very loud, throaty exhaust. The little S.O.B. has to rev it up immediately on startup. These people live a good 200 yards away and I hear junior start his car in the morning even when all the windows in my house are closed.

I have to admit that my old Impala sported a Thrush muffler when I was in high school, so I sort of go with the flow. What I don't understand is an adult driving a loud vehicle as a daily driver - how that loud drone wouldn't get old real quick is beyond my understanding....
Posted by: Drew99GT

Re: Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises. - 08/06/11 10:33 AM

People are idiots. That pretty much explains it. They need attention.
Posted by: dparm

Re: Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises. - 08/06/11 10:49 AM

Because they equate loud with fast.

That's why I love the big Mercs with V12s...whisper quiet but real tire-smokers.
Posted by: SrDriver

Re: Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises. - 08/06/11 10:59 AM

I too worked shift work before retirement.

Had same problem. Made trip to police department.

They resolved the problem for me.
Posted by: Pop_Rivit

Re: Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises. - 08/06/11 11:10 AM

I've never understood the allure of an exhaust that sounds like a bad case of flatulence.

I especially don't understand the old, fat guys on loud Harley bikes-they are to mature adults as the tin can muffler ricers are to the decent young people. I guess the loud exhaust is either a cry for attention, or perhaps just some cringe-worthy social stupidity by people who don't know better.
Posted by: bdcardinal

Re: Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises. - 08/06/11 11:12 AM

I have a similar problem in the neighborhood. Except mine is the neighbor across the street that is trying to "restore" his dead mom's 1792 Impala I think it is. He is trying to work on the motor, but every time he starts it up it sounds like the rods want to make a hasty exit from the block. Every time I work on my car in the driveway he comes over and starts asking me questions about his car. Then he gets upset when I tell him that really I can give him no input on body work. Apparently he has a "Dihatsu guru" helping him on his.

Neighbor next door has a lifted 2006ish F150 with a 5.4 3v. It has an exhaust but it sounds tasteful. He is also a really good contractor, best neighbor to have ever trust me, especially when your house was built in the late 60s.

I have another neighbor that walks around in his front yard in a speedo, if we are lucky he has a sarong on over it. He is a really nice guy, a surgical nurse. Also really handy to have around. He has an older Chevy motorhome. I will help him when I can, but unfortunately I was asleep in class when we went over the GM feedback carbs.
Posted by: Chris142

Re: Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises. - 08/06/11 11:13 AM

Fortunatly The [censored] can tips have gone out of style here. Have you considered trimming the hedges around the Hernandez's house with an unmuffled weed eater about 5am ?
Posted by: jeepman3071

Re: Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises. - 08/06/11 11:22 AM

I agree it is rude. I have a Flowmaster 40 series exhaust on my Jeep, and it is throaty when I get on the gas. It is just the muffler with stock size piping. This is so I can still hear the sound I like, and others won't be annoyed by it. If I come home late at night or leave early for work I slowly accelerate out of my neighborhood to be considerate of others.

I also agree that some exhausts should be illegal. My exhaust is loud, but even if I floor it I can faintly be heard at the end of my street. Some nights, I can hear loud exhausts from two towns over.

It is also an attention thing. A lot of people with loud exhausts are just trying to say "hey everybody look at me, I'm an [censored]". I have an exhaust because I like the way it sounds, not to see if I can wake up the surrounding towns. It goes back to the being courteous thing which many people don't seem to get. If those cars had much smaller pipes on their exhaust, they could still hear the sound but not be as loud.
Posted by: eljefino

Re: Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises. - 08/06/11 11:49 AM

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
I agree it is rude. I have a Flowmaster 40 series exhaust on my Jeep, and it is throaty when I get on the gas. It is just the muffler with stock size piping. This is so I can still hear the sound I like, and others won't be annoyed by it. If I come home late at night or leave early for work I slowly accelerate out of my neighborhood to be considerate of others.

What of other peoples' neighborhoods? I'm not being a twit, just bringing up a rhetorical question.

My road parallels a main road a block away, that goes uphill, and has a speed limit increase from 35 to 55. Not suprisingly, on summer nights, it's the venue for motorcycle drags. Some sound good. Some wake up my kids. You'd think from all the trees and shrubs and fences on the main road there were no people around to be bothered. There are, and they planted that stuff to keep the noise away!
Posted by: speedyswede

Re: Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises. - 08/06/11 11:52 AM

IMO, if Borla and/or SuperSprint exhaust systems were sold @ PepBoys for $99/installed...we wouldn't have this problem. whistle
Posted by: jeepman3071

Re: Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises. - 08/06/11 12:41 PM

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

What of other peoples' neighborhoods? I'm not being a twit, just bringing up a rhetorical question.

My road parallels a main road a block away, that goes uphill, and has a speed limit increase from 35 to 55. Not suprisingly, on summer nights, it's the venue for motorcycle drags. Some sound good. Some wake up my kids. You'd think from all the trees and shrubs and fences on the main road there were no people around to be bothered. There are, and they planted that stuff to keep the noise away!

I was using my neighborhood as an example, I don't go ripping through neighborhoods at 6am. Even on main roads I drive like a grandma in order to help my already wonderful MPG. grin2 I'm not defending people with loud exhausts, just saying there is a way to have one and still be courteous to others. thumbsup
Posted by: Lead Shoes

Re: Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises. - 08/06/11 12:43 PM

I guess I was one of those loud [censored] kids for a while... I had a 99 grand am with S&S headers and a 2.5inch exhaust and a flowmaster 80 muffler... it sounded good I got complements all the time, but more like a hot rod taking off sound except from a grand am so I got the WTH?! look a lot... it was a little too loud for my taste.. and I never went over 2krpm if it was early or late..

Its totally different if the exhaust actually sounds GOOD, then its not so bad when they floor it and drive away, id just rather not be awaken to my neighbor flooring his straight piped dodge that sounds like [censored].

And as for your mexican neighbor issue, do like the others said, contact the police have them take care of it, if they dont, take matters into your own hands and take the muffler off your push mower and keep going up and down cutting the same strip next to their house at 7am, I am sure they will catch the message after the first 15mins
Posted by: bigmike

Re: Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises. - 08/06/11 02:17 PM

Buy a train horn and your problems are solved.
Posted by: urchin

Re: Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises. - 08/06/11 03:45 PM

I don't doubt that this is not due to your new "neighbors" ignorance, they probably enjoy assulting everyones ears!

My guess is that the entire effect is some sort of gang "colors" issue and the obnoxious noise from their exhaust is part of the "package" so to say essentially announcing "here I am" to other gansters.

I feel for you, I have to listen to that stupid rap music throbbing with million level decibles of bass.
Posted by: mechtech2

Re: Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises. - 08/06/11 03:56 PM

I have a neighbor with a truck that has a VERY loud modified exhaust. That jerk wakes up the neighborhood at 4:30 every morning.
Then another neighbor does the same with his modified Maxda RX at 6:00.

I'm thinking of shooting expanding insulation foam up their exhausts some night.
Posted by: aquariuscsm

Re: Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises. - 08/06/11 04:24 PM

What you need to do it crank up your car *open header* at sunrise and rattle their foundations!

Re: Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises. - 08/06/11 05:47 PM

I live at a intersection with a 3 way stop. Cars continuously run the stop signs. Not even "California Stops". Just running it at high speeds.

I found an old 12v siren in my parts cabinet at work. Hooked it up to a DeWalt drill battery and it made a perfect police siren sound.

Sat behind my hedges and would sound the siren when people would run the stop sign. You could see the drivers swivel their heads around looking for the cruiser and some pulled over.

Except for one blue Jetta.

This guy was a frequent offender in my neighborhood. He would rip through at high speeds with little regard for children playing or riding skateboards or bicycles.

I saw him coming. Recognized his car. Sounded the siren as soon as he hit the intersection at what I estimate to be 45-50mph.

He floored it. Wrong side of the road around some middle school aged kids on skateboards and stayed on the wrong side into a wide sweeping curve.

Decided that my "vigilante" siren scare technique was not worth it and that I was lucky he didn't plow over those skater kids or into a car coming the other way. Put it away.

Sometimes it does not help to out noise the bad neighbors.

Then I saw this in the paper about a week later:
Quote:
One Arlington teen was killed and four were hospitalized when their car went out of control about 2:30 a.m. Thursday at Fox Hunt Drive and West Sublett Road in southwest Arlington.

The Tarrant County Medical Examiner identified the dead teen as Cory Hill, 19, of Arlington. The medical examiner's office said his death was caused by a "blunt force trauma to his head and chest."

Arlington police arrested driver Michael Derek Reynolds, 19, of Grand Prairie, who faces charges of intoxication manslaughter and intoxicated assault with a motor vehicle. He was being held in the Arlington jail. Bond was set at $100,000. Police said they are awaiting results on a blood alcohol test

Witnesses told police that the blue 2002 Volkswagen Jetta was eastbound at a high rate of speed when it hit the median in the 2300 block of West Sublett Road, struck two light poles and flipped over.

Other passengers in the vehicle were identified by police as: Dizhwar Sindy, 18; Steven Vaituulala, 16; and Nabil Bader, 19; all of Arlington. All were transported to John Peter Smith Hospital in Fort Worth.

It happened about 4 blocks away from my house.
Posted by: dparm

Re: Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises. - 08/06/11 05:59 PM

Posted by: rpn453

Re: Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises. - 08/06/11 07:18 PM

There's a kid with a [censored]-pipe 90 horsepower Corolla in my neighbourhood. Almost as annoying as a typical Harley. At least it's a manual, and he can shift reasonably well. It was pretty painful hearing the kid across the street learn how to drive manual for a few months with a [censored]-pipe Integra. He moved away from his parents' before he was competent, but he has visited a couple times since and it seems he's finally got the hang of it.

I don't like most noisy exhausts, but most people do, so I guess I can't complain too much. Gotta go along with the majority on these personal preference issues.
Posted by: REDDOG

Re: Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises. - 08/06/11 07:28 PM

I hate obnoxious exhausts on anything. I also love a tasteful exhaust on just about anything. I agree it's all about consideration. I did a lot of research before getting an exhaust to be sure it was a) legal b) non offensive. If everyone did the same none of us would have these problems. Unfortunately, not everyone operates with regard for others.
Posted by: rslifkin

Re: Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises. - 08/06/11 08:08 PM

My Jeep is a bit noisy (re-done y-pipe, high flow cat, Flowmaster 70, all 3" pipe from the y-merge back). However, it's not terribly loud, and is reasonably quiet if I'm gentle on the throttle or at idle. I always try to be quiet coming in and out of my neighborhood, especially early mornings or late nights.

Fortunately, it's got a pretty smooth tone, so it's not too disturbing. Even my mom, who complains about pretty much any loud exhaust, doesn't mind the sound.

Re: Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises. - 08/06/11 08:39 PM

Originally Posted By: REDDOG
I hate obnoxious exhausts on anything. I also love a tasteful exhaust on just about anything. I agree it's all about consideration. I did a lot of research before getting an exhaust to be sure it was a) legal b) non offensive. If everyone did the same none of us would have these problems. Unfortunately, not everyone operates with regard for others.

I listened to lots of youtube videos while deciding.
Injen was too expensive.
Steeda was too loud. (and having Steeda parts on a Mazda might make some poor Mustanger's head explode)
Racing Beat had the right combination of tone, low volume, style and price.
Posted by: kasedian

Re: Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises. - 08/07/11 01:01 AM

Re: Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises. - 08/07/11 12:51 PM

Thank you everyone for the replies. I'm glad to read that everyone has had the same problem with inconsiderate drivers. Don't get me wrong, I"m not hating on people who tune their motorcycles, trucks and cars. I'm just disappointing on people's inconsiderate behavior.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
I too worked shift work before retirement.

Had same problem. Made trip to police department.

They resolved the problem for me.

What did they do? Unfortunately, the flatulent exhausts are still legal!!! I guess I should visit my local Sheriff's office. I live in a factory city and people need sleep right after work or else they will get violent.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
This thread is worthless without pictures.

I would like to but I feel uncomfortable spreading images of people and people's belongings on the internet.
Posted by: urchin

Re: Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises. - 08/07/11 03:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Popinski

I would like to but I feel uncomfortable spreading images of people and people's belongings on the internet.

Just use photoshop to blur and fuzz out things that would make them instantly indentifable.
Posted by: 55Test

Re: Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises. - 08/07/11 03:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
One of the quickest street cars I ever saw was a very quiet GNX. You could hear the turbo and the street slicks slapping at the pavement more than you could the engine's exhaust note

Back many years ago, probably about 20 or so when the nearby abandoned airstrip used to hold drag races, there were 2 Grand Nationals that used to race there pretty regularly. They were right up there among the very fastest street driven cars but they were so quiet you could barely hear the engine above the turbos and the tires! I remember my dad was talking to one of the GN's owners who said they put big blocks of ice on the intercooler between races. Fun memories.
Posted by: 55Test

Re: Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises. - 08/07/11 03:58 PM

I've heard [censored] piped imports that almost split my eardrums with their exhaust note, and I've heard others that are much more mellow, deep but still loud (usually on cars combined with CAI's) that sound gorgeous. I assume it's the cheap Pepboys or similar 'performance' exhausts that sound the worst, a real you-get-what-you-pay-for example.
Posted by: hattaresguy

Re: Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises. - 08/07/11 06:20 PM

Originally Posted By: dparm
Because they equate loud with fast.

That's why I love the big Mercs with V12s...whisper quiet but real tire-smokers.

Yep, no need to advertise.

Although I am partial to a Ferrari V12 or 8 at full wail, or a Porsche flat 6.

I just don't really care for the little cheap ricy cars running around, plus the drivers have attitudes and want to race which is lame, since there cars have like 130hp so what's the point?

When your in a nice car sitting at a light its super annoying when they pull up to you and rev and want to race.

Good engines sound good, cheap economy 4 bangers don't keep the mufflers on. Its not a Bugatti.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Lg2S8C4rh4
I still think a Rolls Royce 12 at full sing is just about pure sex.

Re: Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises. - 08/07/11 08:16 PM

Originally Posted By: kasedian

Exactly my point. That baby is shedding no tears. That's the baby face of trying to let out flatulent gas and it's going to be bad!!!!
Posted by: OVERKILL

Re: Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises. - 08/07/11 09:25 PM

Riiiiiiiiiiip FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

That's the sound of RAW POWA!!!!

LOL! grin

The Expedition has a Magnaflow on it. You'd never know it. It is only louder (and it sounds wonderful) when you are on it.

The Lincoln has a set of Flowmaster 40's. Quiet, yet with a distinct tone. The cats keep it quiet.

The M5 is dead-silent. It has 4 mufflers and a huge set of resonators, as well as massive cats. I love it, but am half of the idea that it is too quiet for my taste. Might go Borla or Magnaflow, both who make cat-back's for it. Not far from each other in price. I imagine both would be factory-quiet unless you are on the "go pedal".

A properly done exhaust will enhance how the car sounds without being over the top. It won't be too loud. It won't be too quiet. It will be quiet when necessary and loud when you make it that way. And when it is louder, it won't be obnoxious. It will simply enhance the tone of the car's note in a way that is a pleasure for the ears to behold.

A flatulence cannon from Pep Boys, "The Zone", Canadian Tire....etc. is not a properly done exhaust. And the people that are slapping them on aren't likely interested in a properly done exhaust anyway. Those can cost a lot of money and are always a lot harder to install. Not just a sawsall and exhaust clamp away from "complete".
Posted by: Virtuoso

Re: Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises. - 08/07/11 10:09 PM

I *love* the sound of Borla.
Posted by: Vstrom

Re: Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises. - 08/23/11 04:17 AM

I always figured the louder the pipes the smaller the "pipe", if you get my drift.

I too suffer in my neighborhood from the loud Harley jerks and one guy with a Dodge pickup (gas) I can hear, or really kinda feel, idling every morning at 0430, in the winter he starts it 20-30 mins early to "warm up".
BTW this guy is several hundred yards away, I really don't see how how his immediate neighbors stand it....

Don't even get me started on the big rigs with no mufflers and engine brakes, usually an independent who apparently sold his mufflers to buy a hundred marker lights and a big [censored] windshield visor...
Posted by: Torino

Re: Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises. - 08/23/11 05:04 AM

Stop global whining. John--Las Vegas.
Posted by: grampi

Re: Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises. - 08/23/11 11:33 AM

Originally Posted By: AstroTurf
Go buy some earplugs or Buy their house.

Wrong attitude. People shouldn't have to go to these extremes (having to wear ear plugs or buy up the neighborhood just so you can stand the live there is extreme). I say file a noise abatement complaint with the police on the inconsiderate a-holes. File enough complaints and the cops will have to do something about it...
Posted by: CivicFan

Re: Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises. - 08/23/11 11:35 AM

Kids...
Posted by: brianl703

Re: Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises. - 08/23/11 11:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

I especially don't understand the old, fat guys on loud Harley bikes

My question about those..if I can read this because the [censored] fell off, can you reach the speed limit now?

Re: Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises. - 08/23/11 11:46 AM

Originally Posted By: Vstrom
...Don't even get me started on the big rigs with no mufflers and engine brakes, usually an independent who apparently sold his mufflers to buy a hundred marker lights and a big [censored] windshield visor...
The small town I'm working in today has posted signs at seemingly every entrance into town: NO ENGINE BRAKE by City Ordinace XXXXXXX

Given the amount of local police, county sherriff's deputies, and state troopers I see on my way in, I think they are enforcing it.

Originally Posted By: brianl703
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

I especially don't understand the old, fat guys on loud Harley bikes

My question about those..if I can read this because the [censored] fell off, can you reach the speed limit now?

crackmeup
Of course he can't. That would make his Harley Davidson branded sandals (made in China of course) bend backwards in the wind.

Re: Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises. - 08/23/11 11:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Popinski
Unfortunately, the flatulent exhausts are still legal!!!

Depends on the ordinance of a particular area. In most places I know of, they aren't legal...
Posted by: surfstar

Re: Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises. - 08/23/11 11:48 AM

RE: harleys

http://youtu.be/lGZG2kx5vD8

Full episode, very worthwhile: http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s13e12-the-f-word

Re: Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises. - 08/23/11 11:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
That would make his Harley Davidson branded sandals (made in China of course) bend backwards in the wind.

Harley owners want their bikes loud so they sound like something they're not....fast and powerful....
Posted by: CivicFan

Re: Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises. - 08/23/11 12:01 PM

Originally Posted By: surfstar

LOL
Posted by: hattaresguy

Re: Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises. - 08/23/11 08:31 PM

Here is what a proper small displacement engine sounds like, Honda what? BRM was doing it before Honda motors was a dream.

I have been next to these cars in the pits, the camera doesn't do it justice. See the guys plugging their ears? Its so loud you feel it, hearing anything is impossible. Talking involves shouting.
Posted by: kasedian

Re: Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises. - 08/23/11 08:38 PM

Re: Getting tired of flatulent exhaust noises. - 08/23/11 10:06 PM

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

Here is what a proper small displacement engine sounds like, Honda what?

Honda knew. Soichiro Honda was just geting started when British Racing Motors was at their peak. But he didn't just sit idly by.

Maybe not to the extent of 16 cylinders but howzabout a 250cc DOHC 6 cylinder?

Or a 32 valve V-4?