Are you able to buy ammo?

Posted by: grampi

Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/26/14 01:10 PM

For 3 years or more now my searches for .22 ammo have all been failures...my daughter likes to go to the shooting range with the old man (the old man likes it too, when she doesn't outshoot me)....doesn't seem to matter if I look locally, online, Wal-Mart, gun shops, wherever, they're always out...I would've thought this issue would be resolved by now....strange that it isn't....
Posted by: EricG

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/26/14 01:13 PM

I just came from my local Academy, I bought 7.62 x 39 and 40S&W but they had several 500 rd. "Bricks" of 22 cal. and quite a bit of smaller 50 round boxes on the shelf behind the counter.
Posted by: d00df00d

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/26/14 01:23 PM

Originally Posted By: grampi
I would've thought this issue would be resolved by now....strange that it isn't....

Production would have to outpace demand from hoarders. That'd be a tall order, especially given that hoarders won't be happy unless they've bought everything there is to buy...
Posted by: The_Eric

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/26/14 01:29 PM

I can buy ammo in any caliber... As long as it's not .22LR!
Posted by: bdcardinal

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/26/14 01:32 PM

I have not seen .22LR in decent quantities for a reasonable price in a long time. My only gun that shot .22LR before the tragic canoeing accident was a S&W M&P15-22, that thing was super picky with ammo and only played well with Winchester M-22 which is currently unobtainium.

As far as the other firearms lost in the canoeing accident, .40S&W, .223/5.56x45, 5.7x28, .308/7.62x51 is plentiful. I was pleasantly surprised when Bass Pro had 5.7x28 for 29.99 a box of 50 and had a whole shelf of it. I currently am in a group buy of 5.56x45 at $347/1000 for Fiohcci.
Posted by: dlundblad

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/26/14 01:34 PM

9mm, .40, .45 and .223/5.56 is pretty easy to come by here compared to last year at this time.

I haven't been able to find .22 ammo since last May. Bought 3 bricks at WM for my stash and haven't shot any of them. Lol.
Posted by: andrewg

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/26/14 01:34 PM

The goofy hoarders and end of civilization doomsday dorks buy every single round of .22LR that is produced.
Fear is a powerful driving force, much more so than intellect and reason.
Posted by: CHARLIEBRONSON21

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/26/14 01:40 PM

I used to buy 1000 round boxes at rural king for like $15 a couple years ago. Nothing that good since.
Posted by: BHopkins

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/26/14 01:53 PM

A couple methods that worked for me, that you may try.

First, one sporting goods store told me that they don't mind if I call to see if they have inventory of .22. They even told me what time to call, so the delivery truck would have already came for the day. It took about a week and a half of calls, and they got in a bunch of Federal. My wife picked me up at work and we each went and bought a carton.

The second method that worked, is another sporting goods store allowed people to prepay for .22. When shipments came in, those that had prepaid got first choice, in a first paid, first served order. That took a couple months, but still, it worked.

Now, I have enough .22 that my wife and I can go to the range every few weeks, and I'm not in a panic about running out. My stock of about 4 cartons is by no means a hoard.

It used to be my practice that all I kept on hand was a single carton, just enough to go shooting with. I always figured I could always pick up another carton almost anywhere for only $10 or $15, so why stock it. I'll never make that mistake again. But, I'm not going to be one of those @$$'$ that buy up everything they can find, and then sell it online for a profit.

If you are desperate enough, that is an option. I don't know what is available in Ohio, but here in Utah we have a website called utahguns.com, dedicated to sales of guns and related items. Jerks sell ammo there all the time for a big markup. You may see if you can buy a brick there. It may cost you $40 to $50, but at least you can take your daughter shooting.
Posted by: Chris142

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/26/14 02:20 PM

no .22 at walmart but plenty at the gun stores
Posted by: 06AllAmerican

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/26/14 03:22 PM

I get lucky at Dicks sporting goods.

I sometimes have to wait in a line.

I get to the store 20- 30 minutes before they open. Wait till the store opens, go in and usually they have the larger amounts 2 times a week.
I call ahead and ask when the ammo shipment is due. If you get a good sales person they will give you all the information you need.

The bad part is they limit you to 1 purchase over 300 round or 3 smaller boxes.

I have gotten lucky and have a few thousand round for shooting.

.22 ammo has gotten really expensive.

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/26/14 04:29 PM

Originally Posted By: CHARLIEBRONSON21
I used to buy 1000 round boxes at rural king for like $15 a couple years ago. Nothing that good since.

I used to buy the Federal 550 round bricks at Wally World about 4 years ago for $11.99...now the price listed on the always empty shelf for this stuff is $23.99...which I would pay if it were ever available...this has gone beyond ridiculous!

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/26/14 04:31 PM

Originally Posted By: 06AllAmerican

I get to the store 20- 30 minutes before they open. Wait till the store opens, go in and usually they have the larger amounts 2 times a week.
I call ahead and ask when the ammo shipment is due. If you get a good sales person they will give you all the information you need.

Do they sell the Federal 550 round bricks, or any Aquila LRs (no subs)?
Posted by: Toy4x4

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/26/14 04:46 PM

Check these out:
http://www.gunbuddy.com/ammo/22-lr

http://ammoseek.com/ammo/22lr

http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/rimfire/22lr/
Posted by: 06AllAmerican

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/26/14 04:48 PM

Do they sell the Federal 550 round bricks, or any Aquila LRs (no subs)?

I think they have 50 round boxes of federal occasionally. Mostly Winchester, Remington ammo. I have some hollow point too. Some times they have the good CCI LR in the 100 round plastic box.

If I have waited in line I try to make the most of my time and buy 2000k ammo can or 1500 round bucket.
Posted by: Fleetmon

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/26/14 05:12 PM

I've had luck at Dick's (two 1400 round buckets at $0.05 per round) and my LGS has been pretty regular with 50 round boxes at $0.10 and $0.12 per round. Six months ago we scored 2k of Winchester M22 for $0.05 per round and it wasn't the recalled batches although a friend of mine got some from a gun show that was recalled.

I wish I had bought a pick-up truck load of Federal 550 packs when they were $13....three short years ago! I saw the same ammo recently in Vinton Va for $59.95.

Around here most other ammo is readily available
Posted by: SrDriver

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/26/14 05:15 PM

We have Two Super Wal-Marts in town. Talk with the clerk in sporting goods. Find out what days they normally get ammo in.

Here they put out ammo at around 7 AM. You need to be in line in the sporting goods area around 5:30 or 6:00 AM and when they have 22 LR the limit is 3 boxes. With stuff like Winchester M-22 that gives you a total of 3,000 rounds and a good price point.
Posted by: 01rangerxl

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/26/14 07:51 PM

You can get everything but .22 here easily at normal prices. .22 is still hard to get and usually non-existent on shelves.

Not sure why .22 has gone insane. Perhaps "baby's first gun, the sky is falling, a .22 will save me" hoarders.

I can get 9mm at Wal-Mart with ease, so all is well for me.

Just get a bigger caliber gun and your ammo worries will be gone.

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/26/14 09:37 PM

Thanks for the links....any idea what's with the absolute unavailability of Aguila's Supermax hyper velocity rounds? Some places don't even list it anymore...

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/26/14 09:39 PM

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
You can get everything but .22 here easily at normal prices. .22 is still hard to get and usually non-existent on shelves.

Not sure why .22 has gone insane. Perhaps "baby's first gun, the sky is falling, a .22 will save me" hoarders.

I can get 9mm at Wal-Mart with ease, so all is well for me.

Just get a bigger caliber gun and your ammo worries will be gone.

I don't want to spend money on another gun...I bought .22s because the ammo was always so cheap and readily available...the joke's on me I guess...
Posted by: 01rangerxl

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/26/14 09:54 PM

I don't blame you. I remember not too long ago going to gun shows (around 2010) and .22s and the ammo for them was everywhere. You could buy .22 in huge quantities no problem then. At the time I considered getting a .22 as cheap plinker, but my Ruger P89 satisfied my shooting interest, so I never bought one.

I think when people started freaking about "they 'gon take the guns away," a lot of people snatched up .22s and the ammo for them, and it has yet to subside. One day .22 will be available and relatively inexpensive again, but the panic will have to fully subside for that to happen. What sucks is people aren't dumping all this .22 ammo at the range...it's sitting around, doing nothing. Plenty of it is out there, crazy hoarders just have a lock on it.
Posted by: Jarlaxle

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/26/14 10:21 PM

My uncle has plenty (bought a pallet a couple years ago), but I did notice that .22LR is in short supply lately. I wonder if companies are making other calibers instead...?

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/27/14 06:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
My uncle has plenty (bought a pallet a couple years ago), but I did notice that .22LR is in short supply lately. I wonder if companies are making other calibers instead...?

From what I've gathered there's just as much .22 ammo being made as ever, it's just that the hoarders are snatching it all up...what I don't understand is why manufacturers won't bump up production to try and ease the pinch a bit...

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/27/14 07:46 AM

Okay, here's an easy fix for the ammo shortage. Create a national database that lists the person's name and amount of ammo they purchase, and limit the amount a person can buy per month, week, whatever. This database must be used by any place authorized to sell ammo, and the person's ammo purchases are logged into the database no matter when, or where they purchase. This would stop the hoarding...I've been saying all along, if those who are in positions to resolve this issue wanted it resolved, it would've been resolved by now...this isn't rocket science...
Posted by: NateDN10

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/27/14 08:04 AM

From what I've gathered there's just as much .22 ammo being made as ever, it's just that the hoarders are snatching it all up...what I don't understand is why manufacturers won't bump up production to try and ease the pinch a bit...

What I've read is that manufacturers are already running 3 shifts, producing it 24/7, but profit margins on .22LR are so thin, it doesn't make sense for the manufacturers to invest in more equipment to make it.
Posted by: Smoky14

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/27/14 08:04 AM

Come on Grampi; we fought for the right to be a greedy, ugly, American. A little self control and we could all go shooting our .22s.
I remember when we could get a sleeve of .22 for $100. in Tucson at the annual Jenson's sale. Wish I'd have hoarded some of that stuff instead of shooting it all up.

Smoky

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/27/14 08:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Smoky14
Come on Grampi; we fought for the right to be a greedy, ugly, American. A little self control and we could all go shooting our .22s.
I remember when we could get a sleeve of .22 for $100. in Tucson at the annual Jenson's sale. Wish I'd have hoarded some of that stuff instead of shooting it all up.

Smoky

If people had self control there wouldn't be any hoarders...

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/27/14 08:19 AM

A good article on the issue.
Posted by: whip

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/27/14 09:13 AM

Do you really want the government controlling how much ammo we buy? Call me crazy, but that sounds like a policy a lot of anti gun people would support.
Posted by: jcwit

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/27/14 10:14 AM

Okay, here's an easy fix for the ammo shortage. Create a national database that lists the person's name and amount of ammo they purchase, and limit the amount a person can buy per month, week, whatever. This database must be used by any place authorized to sell ammo, and the person's ammo purchases are logged into the database no matter when, or where they purchase. This would stop the hoarding...I've been saying all along, if those who are in positions to resolve this issue wanted it resolved, it would've been resolved by now...this isn't rocket science...

You REALLY wish more government control over your life????????????????

Unreal that you would even post this.

What do you want next, the government to only allow single shot firearms so ammo will last longer till its all shot up?
Posted by: OVERKILL

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/27/14 11:47 AM

This is wild!

The local store probably has a few hundred thousand rounds of .22LR crzy

Canadian Tire, Walmart and even TSC all have it too up here shrug

Oh, and the ammo they were low on earlier they are now starting to get.

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/27/14 12:01 PM

Originally Posted By: jcwit

You REALLY wish more government control over your life????????????????

Unreal that you would even post this.

What do you want next, the government to only allow single shot firearms so ammo will last longer till its all shot up?

You're reading to much into this. This database would only contain your name and the amount of ammo you're buying. That's it. If the gov wants to control our lives they already have more effective means of doing so than this type of database would provide...

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/27/14 12:03 PM

Originally Posted By: whip
Do you really want the government controlling how much ammo we buy? Call me crazy, but that sounds like a policy a lot of anti gun people would support.

Not at all...it would ensure more people would have access to ammo as opposed to the few hoarders who have it all now and are just sitting on it....

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/27/14 12:04 PM

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
This is wild!

Then what are you waiting for? Ship it down here!

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/27/14 12:15 PM

Just what we need, the government telling us how much ammo we can but, with no thought it lets the camels nose into the tent.

Reading to much into it????
You are not looking at the future ramifications of a law such as this.

You seem much to concerned with "I want mine."

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/27/14 12:18 PM

This is wild!

Bet it has something to do with customs.

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/27/14 12:20 PM

This is wild!

Yup. Doubt I could ship anything that resembles ammo to you guys.
Posted by: xxch4osxx

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/27/14 12:45 PM

This is wild!

I don't think there was ever a big shortage of .22 ammo up here.

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/27/14 01:07 PM

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
This is wild!

I don't think there was ever a big shortage of .22 ammo up here.

Agreed, I don't recall there ever being a lack of it anywhere local, including CT.
Posted by: ZeeOSix

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/27/14 04:39 PM

Originally Posted By: andrewg
The goofy hoarders and end of civilization doomsday dorks buy every single round of .22LR that is produced.
Fear is a powerful driving force, much more so than intellect and reason.

If there ever is a doomsday, the guys with bigger guns will find the houses of all the .22LR hoarders and take it all away from them for their own 22 firearms. grin
Posted by: FXjohn

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/27/14 05:05 PM

wow a whole 2 thousand rounds of .22. sleep like a baby NOW I bet

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/27/14 05:10 PM

Just what we need, the government telling us how much ammo we can but, with no thought it lets the camels nose into the tent.

Well duh, that's the point. Put the ammo back on the shelves so sport shooters like myself can get back to doing what they like to do instead of all the ammo going to hoarders and people looking to make a quick buck....

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/27/14 05:22 PM

Well duh, that's the point. Put the ammo back on the shelves so sport shooters like myself can get back to doing what they like to do instead of all the ammo going to hoarders and people looking to make a quick buck....

Sorry Grampi, we're just going to have to wait for it to all work out. But why did you not prepare yourself back when our current "leader?" go elected into office. You could not see the writing on the wall? I thought it was fairly obvious.

Now with that said I have a huge stash of ammo, but it was purchased long, long before this madness started, much of it back in the 1990's. Just bought it when it was on sale, much as I do with motor oil, toilet paper, and other consumables we all use daily or weekly.

I haven't purchased ammo or reloading components for years, wait I'll correct that, just last week I purchased 1,000 Berry plated 9mm bullets.

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/27/14 05:57 PM

Sorry Grampi, we're just going to have to wait for it to all work out. But why did you not prepare yourself back when our current "leader?" go elected into office. You could not see the writing on the wall? I thought it was fairly obvious.

Now with that said I have a huge stash of ammo, but it was purchased long, long before this madness started, much of it back in the 1990's. Just bought it when it was on sale, much as I do with motor oil, toilet paper, and other consumables we all use daily or weekly.

I haven't purchased ammo or reloading components for years, wait I'll correct that, just last week I purchased 1,000 Berry plated 9mm bullets.

I guess I didn't feel the need to start hoarding ammo just because of who was moving into the WH...unfortunately a lot of others did....

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/27/14 06:04 PM

[quote=jcwit]Just what we need, the government telling us how much ammo we can but, with no thought it lets the camels nose into the tent.

I guess I didn't feel the need to start hoarding ammo just because of who was moving into the WH...unfortunately a lot of others did....

Well you can always go to a gun show and pay $50/$75 bucks for a brick of .22's.

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/27/14 06:06 PM

right on. and why did Jcwitt use "leader" in quotes? the guy was elected twice and no one has taken yer gunz. Is this site now the Cliven Bundy ranch??

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/27/14 06:09 PM

Well you can always go to a gun show and pay $50/$75 bucks for a brick of .22's.

well you SHOULD. just in case you need to fight the govt off with a 10/22. the gun companies are laughing all the way to the bank. kind of like the way glenn beck got rich ripping people off with gold line and mercantilists got rich selling shovels and beans during the gold rush

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/27/14 07:18 PM

Originally Posted By: FXjohn

right on. and why did Jcwitt use "leader" in quotes? the guy was elected twice and no one has taken yer gunz. Is this site now the Cliven Bundy ranch??

Take it however you wish, makes no never mind to me. You can't figure it out, there's little I can do to help you.

BTW it's jcwit, NOT Jcwit.

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/27/14 07:22 PM

Take it however you wish, makes no never mind to me. You can't figure it out, there's little I can do to help you.

who me? i don't panic and worry about buying ammo at the last second. I had what I needed before President Obama took office and i never feared he was going to take my guns or put me in a FEMA camp.

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/27/14 08:08 PM

who me? i don't panic and worry about buying ammo at the last second. I had what I needed before President Obama took office and i never feared he was going to take my guns or put me in a FEMA camp.

Oh, I'm sure the guy would love to confiscate everybody's guns and ammo, fortunately for us, he doesn't have the laws to back up those desires...

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/27/14 08:12 PM

[quote=jcwit]Just what we need, the government telling us how much ammo we can but, with no thought it lets the camels nose into the tent.

I actually found a place online selling the Federal 525 round bricks for $74.95 each...I was buying those at Walmart 3 or 4 years ago for just $11.99...if that isn't price gouging I don't know what is...

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/28/14 05:39 AM

Oh, I'm sure the guy would love to confiscate everybody's guns and ammo, fortunately for us, he doesn't have the laws to back up those desires...

oh you're sure. that's why the panic I guess

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/28/14 06:24 AM

More than likely, after all that's when it all started.

YUP, Those of us in the know, know. Those of us who aren't haven't a clue!
Posted by: hatt

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/28/14 08:43 AM

If people would stop doing that stupid stuff .22 would magically reappear.
Posted by: Durango

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/28/14 10:01 AM

For 3 years or more now my searches for .22 ammo have all been failures...my daughter likes to go to the shooting range with the old man (the old man likes it too, when she doesn't outshoot me)....doesn't seem to matter if I look locally, online, Wal-Mart, gun shops, wherever, they're always out...I would've thought this issue would be resolved by now....strange that it isn't....

grampi,

I haven't been able to buy 22 ammo like I use to for years! Ammo is just too high here in California and because I'm more worried about putting food on the table I'm lucky to get to the range twice per year.

In addition during my work time some people head to the stores and buy the entire lot. One store was charging around $35 bucks per brick.

Durango

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/28/14 12:35 PM

Just a little education.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?240038-Found-on-Facebook
Posted by: Astro14

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/28/14 12:40 PM

Just a little education.

Link requires membership.

American Rifleman had an extensive article on ammo supply. Simply put: consumer demand has gone way up. Factories are working 3 shifts to try and keep up and production has focused on the common calibers, but demand remains high.

I don't think it's the survivalist/prepper types that are driving up .22LR, frankly, it's the sport shooter that wants rounds for plinking.

The prepper types drove up demand for AR-15 magazines and .223/5.56mm last year and that demand has finally been met. While demand was high, folks were getting $100 (and higher) for a box of 90 rounds of .223.

That ammo is back in stock (and back to normal prices) and magazines are back down to $13 for a Magpul at my LGS (so, yeah, I bought a few more Magpul magazines and 1,000 rounds of XM193 last week for $420).

The Gov't doesn't use .22LR. Preppers don't. It's your fellow sport shooters that are causing the demand spike. It'll come back down in price and .22 LR availability will return to normal again.

But with gun sales doubling since 2008, the volume of .22LR (and other popular calibers like 9mm, .45ACP and .223/5.56mm) will never return to 2008 levels...there are too many new owners that want to shoot.

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/28/14 12:56 PM

Originally Posted By: hatt

If people would stop doing that stupid stuff .22 would magically reappear.

If everyone stopped buying .22LR, then yes, it would magically reappear...that's the nature of the supply/demand curve intersection and price point.

But hoping that everyone will stop buying something that they want is like hoping to see a unicorn...both magical and unlikely.

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/28/14 01:37 PM

I actually found a place online selling the Federal 525 round bricks for $74.95 each...I was buying those at Walmart 3 or 4 years ago for just $11.99...if that isn't price gouging I don't know what is...

It's not price gouging. It's the way a free market works. Buyers set the market. Raising prices on ammo is no different than Harley dealers charging 4-5,000 over MSRP or a Dodge dealer charging $10,000 over MSRP for a Viper. The new Silverado isn't selling as well as Chevy had hoped, so they are offering huge rebates on it. They lowered the price because buyers said the truck was over vauled.

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/28/14 04:50 PM

so if you know so much, what guns have been taken?

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/28/14 05:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Astro14

I don't think it's the survivalist/prepper types that are driving up .22LR, frankly, it's the sport shooter that wants rounds for plinking.

it's the huge plinker explosion since 2008...yupp that's it I;ll bet.

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/28/14 05:16 PM

And you think that .22LR is good for prepping? Fighting off government troops?

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/28/14 05:18 PM

In Connecticut? Or New York?

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/28/14 05:21 PM

In Connecticut? Or New York?

wow, President Obama is scary and sneaky!

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/28/14 05:22 PM

Wouldn't you love for me to just turn this discussion into a political feud. Like I said, you haven't a clue. Mayhap you should have attended the NRA convention this last weekend.

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/28/14 05:22 PM

of course. don't you know all these diabetic survivalists in rascal scooters are going to live offa the land?

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/28/14 05:24 PM

Mayhap you should have attended the NRA convention this last weekend.

yeah I coulda listened to sarah palin and mark levin. was ted nugent there?

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/28/14 05:25 PM

of course. don't you know all these diabetic survivalists in rascal scooters are going to live offa the land?

Now that's just wrong. May you hope & Pray you never get sick.

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/28/14 05:29 PM

good health to you as well, neighbor.
Posted by: sw99

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/28/14 05:30 PM

Check your Army Navy Surplus stores. I bought 9 cases of Federal .22 for $199 a case.

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/28/14 05:35 PM

Mayhap you should have attended the NRA convention this last weekend.

yeah I coulda listened to sarah palin and mark levin. was ted nugent there?

Might have even been enlightened a little.

However I doubt that for some reason.

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/28/14 05:36 PM

Well so far so good, thanks for paying for it, I'm a disabled vet going to Fort Wayne VA hospital.

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/28/14 05:42 PM

Well so far so good, thanks for paying for it, I'm a disabled vet going to Fort Wayne VA hospital.

no problem paying for it, proud to.

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/28/14 05:59 PM

Now for an attempt to get back on topic.

Even tho he tried his best to derail a thread into politics.

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/28/14 06:10 PM

jcwit - you know that you're getting trolled...right?

Read all of FXJohn's posts in this section. No practical advice on firearms, lubes or cleaners...just inflammatory (often political) comments...

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/28/14 06:15 PM

jcwit - you know that you're getting trolled...right?

Read all of FXJohn's posts in this section. No practical advice on firearms, lubes or cleaners...just inflammatory comments that are intended to elicit responses...

I have as many guns as anyone on here. i just don't get stoked up by glenn beck and the tea party ninnies

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/28/14 06:17 PM

Now for an attempt to get back on topic.

Even tho he tried his best to derail a thread into politics.

you're right. i thought there was an ammo shortage because of hoarders and people scared by newsmax, breitbart and FOX news. it's all actually because of a huge "plinker" craze that started in 2008.

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/28/14 06:28 PM

What ever you say, of course you're right, why on earth would anyone think otherwise? We all know without a doubt you are the grand master of knowledge and what's going on in this world.

I deeply sorry for ever questioning your superb intelligence.

I have no idea what got into me!

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/28/14 06:38 PM

I have as many guns as anyone on here. i just don't get stoked up by glenn beck and the tea party ninnies

OH REALLY! You been snoopin around in my gun room? YUP, not a safe, even this safe only holds 32 guns.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Stack-On-32-Gu...-Green/16637349

I'd need 6 of them to come close to my collection.

So you have as many as everyone else here.

But then again, of course you probably have 1 more than I do, after all why would I question you?

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/28/14 07:04 PM

So why do you feel the need to try and inject politics into every gun thread? For all your stated experience with firearms, you should have something substantive to offer that's actually on topic.
Posted by: Toy4x4

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/28/14 07:24 PM

I bought a brick of 400 Federal 22lr CPHP about 10 years ago to go plinking and my gun (Jager AP74) wouldn't load it properly. So the ammo just went on the shelf (about 300 rounds left)

I just looked at the price tag on it and it is $14.99! crzy

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/28/14 07:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Toy4x4
I bought a brick of 400 Federal 22lr CPHP about 10 years ago to go plinking and my gun (Jager AP74) wouldn't load it properly. So the ammo just went on the shelf (about 300 rounds left)

I just looked at the price tag on it and it is $14.99! crzy

mine isn't that old and it says 14.99, 4 years old maybe. the .22 magnum stuff i use sparingly, but it's still on shelves
Posted by: c502cid

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/28/14 07:40 PM

Those of us in the know, know. Those of us who aren't haven't a clue!

Let those who don't know stay blissfully unaware. It is not our job to enlighten them.

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/28/14 07:46 PM

Originally Posted By: c502cid

Those of us in the know, know. Those of us who aren't haven't a clue!

Let those who don't know stay blissfully unaware. It is not our job to enlighten them.

tell us all about it. is clearing the shelves at walmart part of some secret society with three corner hats who mutter "founding fathers" 5 times an hour? do tell my good man

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/28/14 07:50 PM

and the troll takes the bait and runs with it.....

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/28/14 07:55 PM

and the troll takes the bait and runs with it.....

Now, now, don't question the IQ.

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/28/14 08:22 PM

can't explain your hoarding. you're just "in the know". LOL
certainly easier than trying to explain your mindset isn't it?

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/28/14 08:42 PM

So, where does one draw the line on hoarding vs. preparedness?

I watched folks sit in line in 1973-1974 to buy gasoline that had nearly quadrupled in price. My mom was among them. Hoarding? Price gouging? Panic?

Or market responding to the Arab oil embargo and the dramatic shift in supply vs. demand?

Demand is way up for ammo. Gov't buying has been relatively steady, the increase has come from consumers. That means all of us here as well as the crazy preppers. Folks have the freedom to purchase what they want at the price they want. Like tulip bulbs in 1637, this can create excess demand due to public perception of scarcity...that's exactly what's going on with ammo. If you've not read the AR article to which I referred, I strongly encourage you to do so.

Similarly, I keep spare batteries in the house for hurricanes, but there's a run on them every time a hurricane nears my area. I simply prefer to buy them before the panic sets in and the prices go up based on the public perception of scarcity.

Can't do that with perishables, but I can do that with goods like ammo, batteries, bottled water, and yep, motor oil...

Folks that don't plan, or believe in future scarcity, are going to be paying more than folks that either plan better or that don't share that perception and are willing to wait.

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/28/14 09:04 PM

can't explain your hoarding. you're just "in the know". LOL
certainly easier than trying to explain your mindset isn't it?

How much ammo and how much cash have you donated to the Jr. league shooters whether it be 4-H, Scout Camp, or any other group/organization teaching the shooting sports to the upcoming generation?

Or are you only concerned with yourself and your political viewpoint.

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/28/14 09:09 PM

Interesting that 22lr hoarding is even associated with preppers in any conversation. Since it is a free country, it is within everyone's rights to buy as much as a store will allow them at whatever price. That goes for ammo, water, kids clothes, or anything else bought or sold. Complaining about it just says you don't want it bad enough to go after it, or pay the current price for it. It's called choices, and you are free to make them. But advocating government intervention is just a whiners way of saying "make them give me whatever I want, make them... its not fair"
Someone call a waaaaaambulance.

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/28/14 10:20 PM

Interesting that 22lr hoarding is even associated with preppers in any conversation.

yeah comparing hoarders to preppers is a real stretch <chuckle>

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/28/14 10:26 PM

Originally Posted By: sw99
Check your Army Navy Surplus stores. I bought 9 cases of Federal .22 for $199 a case.

How many are in a case?
Posted by: sm00thpapa

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/28/14 11:48 PM

Cabela's 2100 rounds of .22 in a ammo can for $79.95. I got lucky and caught it online but it is not available anymore.

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/29/14 07:32 AM

Just a little education.

Link requires membership.

American Rifleman had an extensive article on ammo supply. Simply put: consumer demand has gone way up. Factories are working 3 shifts to try and keep up and production has focused on the common calibers, but demand remains high.

The prepper types drove up demand for AR-15 magazines and .223/5.56mm last year and that demand has finally been met. While demand was high, folks were getting $100 (and higher) for a box of 90 rounds of .223.

That ammo is back in stock (and back to normal prices) and magazines are back down to $13 for a Magpul at my LGS (so, yeah, I bought a few more Magpul magazines and 1,000 rounds of XM193 last week for $420).

The Gov't doesn't use .22LR. Preppers don't. It's your fellow sport shooters that are causing the demand spike. It'll come back down in price and .22 LR availability will return to normal again.

But with gun sales doubling since 2008, the volume of .22LR (and other popular calibers like 9mm, .45ACP and .223/5.56mm) will never return to 2008 levels...there are too many new owners that want to shoot.

I think the problem with .22 ammo is the hoarders...it isn't sport shooters shooting it all up because it isn't available enough right now for sport shooters to be able to shoot it...the hoarders are buying it all up, then selling it a little at a time for 5 or 6 times the normal price....

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/29/14 08:03 AM

Grampi - the point is: the only real demand for .22 is sport shooters.

No one else buys it. There are those who buy and resell it, just like in every caliber and in every commodity from oil to ammo and tulip bulbs (though that market has been stable for a few hundred years). But those resellers are selling to the only buyers of .22 out there: the sport shooter.

The supply of .22 is constrained, factories are working 3 shifts to produce it. So it's the demand that's driving up price and driving down availability. That demand comes from people that shoot and own .22 ( I am one of those by the way).

Are you seriously suggesting that mysterious groups of people who don't own .22 caliber guns are buying it just to keep it for no purpose? If so, that's one small weird group (maybe they keep it with their beanie babies...another bubble from a few years ago) and I don't see them creating significant demand.

I shoot with my daughter, who learned when she was 13. At 13, she was easily able to handle an AR-15. Perhaps it would be simpler to switch guns for now and wait until this bubble bursts. The AR-15 magazine and ammo bubble has burst. .22 will come back down.

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/29/14 08:04 AM

If everyone stopped buying .22LR, then yes, it would magically reappear...that's the nature of the supply/demand curve intersection and price point.

But hoping that everyone will stop buying something that they want is like hoping to see a unicorn...both magical and unlikely.
Not stop buying. Stop paying the neckbeards 2x/3x who bought the ammo an hour ago at Walmart. What's confusing about this?

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/29/14 08:12 AM

Originally Posted By: hatt

Not stop buying. Stop paying the neckbeards 2x/3x who bought the ammo an hour ago at Walmart. What's confusing about this?

Same argument was made when the price of gasoline went up. Stop paying $3.00/gallon. Show the oil companies, bring demand down and they'll lower the price.

But no one was willing to stop driving, so the price stayed high. Still is.

The gasoline market has a few more factors but the point is the same: supply and demand.

You're asking for people to stop demanding ammo. Sure, in that case of falling demand, then the neck beards wouldn't be able to resell it, and they would stop buying it, and the price would fall. It's Econ 101.

So, how do you propose we stop people from buying so that the price will come down and you can buy? You don't see the circular nature of your complaint? "All you people stop buying so that I can buy"...do you think that's realistic?

.22 is being made. It's being sold. It's a market under pressure, but it will return to normal, just like Beanie Babies and Tulip bulbs...

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/29/14 08:26 AM

It's not the same argument at all. Were you buying gas off craigslist for $6/gal the guy bought an hour earlier for $3?

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/29/14 08:35 AM

If there was no demand, then people wouldn't pay that mark up.

But there is demand, so they will pay 3 times the price. And folks will get up early to meet the WM delivery truck to buy the ammo to make a few $$ on that mark up. At 3 boxes per customer, they're not making much, but because the demand is there, they're making it.

Without the demand, without the willingness of someone else to pay that mark up, it all collapses.

How do you propose reducing demand?

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/29/14 09:12 AM

Grampi - the point is: the only real demand for .22 is sport shooters.

No one else buys it. There are those who buy and resell it, just like in every caliber and in every commodity from oil to ammo and tulip bulbs (though that market has been stable for a few hundred years). But those resellers are selling to the only buyers of .22 out there: the sport shooter.

The supply of .22 is constrained, factories are working 3 shifts to produce it. So it's the demand that's driving up price and driving down availability. That demand comes from people that shoot and own .22 ( I am one of those by the way).

Are you seriously suggesting that mysterious groups of people who don't own .22 caliber guns are buying it just to keep it for no purpose? If so, that's one small weird group (maybe they keep it with their beanie babies...another bubble from a few years ago) and I don't see them creating significant demand.

I shoot with my daughter, who learned when she was 13. At 13, she was easily able to handle an AR-15. Perhaps it would be simpler to switch guns for now and wait until this bubble bursts. The AR-15 magazine and ammo bubble has burst. .22 will come back down.

I'm not saying people who don't own .22s are buying up the ammo, I'm saying there are people who are buying 10s of thousands of rounds they have no intention of shooting themselves...they intend to sell most of it at absurdly high prices, which is completely unnecessary...I say leave it on the shelves so those of us who want to shoot can do so without having to pay ridiculously high ammo prices...the demand is no higher than it's ever been, it's only perceived to be higher because ammo hoarders have made buying ammo much more difficult...

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/29/14 09:25 AM

If there was no demand, then people wouldn't pay that mark up.

But there is demand, so they will pay 3 times the price. And folks will get up early to meet the WM delivery truck to buy the ammo to make a few $$ on that mark up. At 3 boxes per customer, they're not making much, but because the demand is there, they're making it.

Without the demand, without the willingness of someone else to pay that mark up, it all collapses.

How do you propose reducing demand?

I already answered that question...limit the amount a person can buy...

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/29/14 09:45 AM

How many are in a case?

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/29/14 09:59 AM

How many are in a case?

Good deal! I've been buying the buckets of 1400 for $69.00

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/29/14 10:18 AM

How many are in a case?

So you bought 45000 rounds of .22 ammo? Nuts!

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/29/14 10:19 AM

How many are in a case?

Good deal! I've been buying the buckets of 1400 for $69.00

Would the be the Remington Goldens? That's not a bad price...I may see if I can pick up one...

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/29/14 10:33 AM

Would the be the Remington Goldens? That's not a bad price...I may see if I can pick up one...

Yes, those are them. They shoot reasonably well in my Savage MKII FSS.

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/29/14 11:43 AM

Yes sir. We have several .22's here at the house and kids love to shoot. I was afraid that prices would not be that low again so I bought all they had.

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/29/14 12:33 PM

I just called our local Dick's and they said they haven't had any of the bucket of bullets in for over 5 months...

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/29/14 12:44 PM

I just called our local Dick's and they said they haven't had any of the bucket of bullets in for over 5 months...

WOW!!! As I noted, we are flush with them up here shrug

They also got in skids of 1,000 round boxes of Federal .308.

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/29/14 12:46 PM

Yes sir. We have several .22's here at the house and kids love to shoot. I was afraid that prices would not be that low again so I bought all they had.

Illustrating my point exactly.

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/29/14 08:23 PM

One nice thing is i don't have to listen to my neighbors shoot any more smile

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/29/14 08:47 PM

For some reason I do believe that makes you happy.

Nor can you make any noise with your large collection.

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/30/14 07:41 AM

I will become a .22 ammo hoarder when the bubble bursts on this ammo buying and all of these people who bought tens of thousands of rounds with the intent of selling it at inflated prices are forced to sell it at rock bottom prices...except I will be buying it with the intent of shooting it all!

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/30/14 08:06 AM

On the gun forums there are many who are lamenting the shortage of gun powder, which is a fairly recent development.

I guess it took a rocket science professor to realize this might be coming especially with the long lasting shortage of .22's.

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/30/14 09:43 AM

I will become a .22 ammo hoarder when the bubble bursts on this ammo buying and all of these people who bought tens of thousands of rounds with the intent of selling it at inflated prices are forced to sell it at rock bottom prices...except I will be buying it with the intent of shooting it all!

I hope you see the hypocrisy in that and understand if you had it your way, the government wouldn't allow it.........

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 04/30/14 01:51 PM

Originally Posted By: whip

I hope you see the hypocrisy in that and understand if you had it your way, the government wouldn't allow it.........

I see it, but since my suggestion will likely never happen...
Posted by: LC

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 05/01/14 07:15 AM

I have not seen any 22 ammo in any store in this area in several months. When I ask it is the same story. Either it is gone within a few hours of them putting it out. Or they have not been able to get any.

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 05/01/14 07:27 AM

Originally Posted By: LC
I have not seen any 22 ammo in any store in this area in several months. When I ask it is the same story. Either it is gone within a few hours of them putting it out. Or they have not been able to get any.

For some reason the Midwest seems to be the hardest hit with the .22 shortage...I haven't been able to find in MI, IN, OH, or IL either...
Posted by: crinkles

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 05/02/14 04:06 AM

I've switched from Winchester to locally made Bronzewing cartridges for my shotgunning. About 1 - 2 case per month .

http://bronzewing.net
Posted by: OtisBlkR1

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 05/17/14 10:24 PM

i purchased 1,200 rounds of .22LR from our local vendor last week. Its starting to show back up in our area.

And im shooting some through the Colt AR .22LR i just got done modding... let me tell you, thats alot of fun with a 30 rnd mag
Posted by: Mystic

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 05/17/14 10:35 PM

The first time they had a terrible shortage of target ammo, I went out and over a period of time stocked up until I had enough to last for quite a while. And it turned out that was a good idea for another reason-the ammo was cheaper back then.

When the next shortage came I didn't worry at all. I have enough 9mm ammo to last for a while and for right now I don't care if they don't have any at the local Wal-Mart or not. Plus I found a store where I can get the ammo even if it is at a higher price. That store is Bass Pro Shop. They seem to have a good amount at least the last time I was there.

So I still have several boxes of 9mm target ammo. But I have only one box of target ammo for my .40 cal Glock.

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 05/18/14 04:48 PM

I have two friends who've been able to find .22LR on the shelf randomly. Trouble was, they paid $50 for 500 rounds. Better price than you'll find on the internet at least.
Posted by: ZeeOSix

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 05/18/14 07:09 PM

Talked to the guy in the sporting goods area of my local Walmart a couple of days ago, and he says they still sell out of 22LR in an hour when shipments show up. It's been 2 years and people are still hoarding 22LR. Certain people know when the shipments come in and they are there to buy all they can. It's pretty ridiculous - this is still going on after 2 years! Are these same people going to be doing this for the next 5 years? crazy

I did buy a 100 round box of Federal .223 for $40 however.
Posted by: bubbatime

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 05/21/14 02:10 PM

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
It's been 2 years and people are still hoarding 22LR. Certain people know when the shipments come in and they are there to buy all they can. It's pretty ridiculous - this is still going on after 2 years! Are these same people going to be doing this for the next 5 years?

These idiots sell the ammo at gun shows and via gun forums. They drive the cost up for the rest of us. Really ticks me off. The shortage is artificial. There is no reason why the .22LR is in such high demand as it is. It is slowly subsiding though and might be about over in 6-12 months, hopefully.
Posted by: TurboLuver

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 05/21/14 09:39 PM

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
It's been 2 years and people are still hoarding 22LR. Certain people know when the shipments come in and they are there to buy all they can. It's pretty ridiculous - this is still going on after 2 years! Are these same people going to be doing this for the next 5 years?

These idiots sell the ammo at gun shows and via gun forums. They drive the cost up for the rest of us. Really ticks me off. The shortage is artificial. There is no reason why the .22LR is in such high demand as it is. It is slowly subsiding though and might be about over in 6-12 months, hopefully.

If the idiots that BUY the ridiculously overpriced ammo from the people selling it at gun shows and forums would stop purchasing it, the shortage issues would cease very quickly.
Posted by: Hokiefyd

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 05/22/14 07:47 AM

Talked to the guy in the sporting goods area of my local Walmart a couple of days ago, and he says they still sell out of 22LR in an hour when shipments show up.

It's the same way here. You can buy 9mm, .40SW, .45, all day long. Heck, there are cases upon cases of .223 and 5.56. But no .22LR.

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 05/24/14 11:32 PM

I found another store where I can get ammo. Big R had .40 cal ammo for my Glock. And it was decent in price. Most of the time Wal-Mart never seems to have ammo which is okay-I have found two other stores to get it. When I need ammo I will go to the places that have it.

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 05/25/14 09:44 AM

Mystic, not sure where you live, but every Walmart has loads and loads of 40s&w around here. Denver metro.
Posted by: SOHCman

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 05/25/14 02:23 PM

Originally Posted By: TurboLuver
Originally Posted By: bubbatime

If the idiots that BUY the ridiculously overpriced ammo from the people selling it at gun shows and forums would stop purchasing it, the shortage issues would cease very quickly.

Truth. Supply and demand.

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 05/25/14 04:41 PM

They always seem out at the Wal-Mart I go to. Although I managed to buy one box of .40 cal at that Wal-Mart a while back. It was I think the only box there (of .40 cal). And there did not seem to be much in the way of other ammo either.

I don't care. Big R has ammo and Bass Pro Shop has ammo. And Big R was reasonable with price also.

I only have two boxes of ammo for target practice for the .40 but that means I can go twice this summer. And I still have 9 mm ammo. I met a guy at the Big R who claimed he had been Airborne. He had a cap that said that. He said ammo just for common target use should be called 'field grade' ammo. That 'target' ammo was for professional competition shooters.

I don't know about that but I have two boxes of 'field grade' ammo for my .40.
Posted by: used_0il

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 05/30/14 12:54 AM

Primarily the problem in the USA is .22 LR shortages, yet the manufactures are reporting record production numbers. Small dealers around western Canada have European brands as well as the North American labels. Nobody is allowed to walk into those stores and clean the shelves, because the store owner won't have it. The reason being it is hard to sell a firearm and all the accessories especially to a new gun owner, without ammunition. Letting hoarders take over is bad for business and the sport in general. I would imagine a few conspiracy theories could be born out of this, but that is one topic that could be driving the fear factor creating the hoarders and the shortage of ammunition.
Posted by: Trajan

Re: Are you able to buy ammo? - 05/30/14 10:10 AM

Mystic, not sure where you live, but every Walmart has loads and loads of 40s&w around here. Denver metro.

The ones I go to has lots of 7.62x39 .40, and even carry 7.62x54r (Never had that before.)