basic home test of Star Tron....

Status
Not open for further replies.
The test was trying to dissolve formed varnish particles. Most people are looking to prevent fuel and ethanol problems not dissolving particles of varnish. So I am not sure how valid a test it was.

Originally Posted By: Donald
The test was trying to dissolve formed varnish particles. Most people are looking to prevent fuel and ethanol problems not dissolving particles of varnish. So I am not sure how valid a test it was.

It isn't valid at all. Home testing can rarely be done in a "valid" manner.

Originally Posted By: badtlc

I hope you're being sarcastic.

Originally Posted By: dave5358
Originally Posted By: badtlc

I hope you're being sarcastic.

Or obtuse.

The first thing I would question is why would you test an additive at full strength, especially on that claims to be an 'enzyme' additive. It's designed to work diluted with gasoline, why not do the bench test with a mix?

I use StarTron in an older vehicle and my OPE regularly. I don't expect miracles, but so far no problems with it for me. I started a thread a while back asking if any of the chemists here on the board could give some insight on the enzyme additive and never heard much...

a real test has to be a "double blind" test. i think what that means is ALL the people doing the test dont know what if they are using oil "A" or "B". could i be right?

Originally Posted By: morris
a real test has to be a "double blind" test. i think what that means is ALL the people doing the test dont know what if they are using oil "A" or "B". could i be right?

As opposed to an unreal test? Double blind testing is frequently done with test medications: both the patient and the person administering the drug don't know if the pill is the real drug or a placebo. Hence, 'double blind'.

If you were testing an engine or an additive or some mechanical device, you might be better off keeping both eyes open. The only possible need for a double blind test would be a situation in which the test operator could materially influence the results, or if you planned to simply asked the operator for his opinion ("yeah, it ran great!"). If you can measure the results more objectively (more mpg per the ECU, greater cylinder pressure per the pressure gauge, less fuel used based on pump records) there is little need for a double blind test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back