Additive to keep pcv and egr system clean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am using MMO and tcw3 in my gas now. Will this keep my intake and these other systems clean? What do I need to do to minimize these intake and egr deposits?

my pcv is not replaceable unless i buy a new valve cover so i spray a bunch of Kroil down the vacuum tube every now and then to clean it out. its best to just let it sit over night if you can and let the kroil do its work. oh and if you use kreen or MMO in your oil the vapors will help clean it out too

short of pulling the egr and cleaning out i dont know what else you can do. and it seems like 2 stroke oil in your gas would only make soot build up worse

LOL! How does TC-W3 in gas gets into PCV (thus cleaning it)?

Think gas and crankcase oil inside engine doesn't meet under normal condition..

Q.

I just can not understand why anyone puts stuff like this in their car. Especially the junk that people put in the gas tank, and even more so a product that was "designed in the 20's" (or whatever their advertising says) considering the potential for damage to oxygen sensors and catalysts. I don't use any of this junk in any of my four cars or 11 OPE engines (those do get Sta-Bil) and have never ever had a problem with carbon on valves, messed up plugs, clogged EGR, or any of the other alleged "problems" that these things are supposed to "prevent".

In particular, just think about why "SN" API grade exists. Because the additive package in earlier grades was believed to affect engine and emission controls adversely. If you believe this (I do) then how can you justify dumping 1920's-vintage oily goo into your gas tank? And especially if there's no identifiable problem in the first place. I just don't get it.

Originally Posted By: GeneralEclectic
I just can not understand why anyone puts stuff like this in their car. Especially the junk that people put in the gas tank, and even more so a product that was "designed in the 20's" (or whatever their advertising says) considering the potential for damage to oxygen sensors and catalysts. I don't use any of this junk in any of my four cars or 11 OPE engines (those do get Sta-Bil) and have never ever had a problem with carbon on valves, messed up plugs, clogged EGR, or any of the other alleged "problems" that these things are supposed to "prevent".

In particular, just think about why "SN" API grade exists. Because the additive package in earlier grades was believed to affect engine and emission controls adversely. If you believe this (I do) then how can you justify dumping 1920's-vintage oily goo into your gas tank? And especially if there's no identifiable problem in the first place. I just don't get it.

OMG... We get, We get it...
You DON'T get it.
So why are you posting?
Go start your own topic about not using this stuff, and stop poluting these threads.
Have a Nice Day, Jim

Originally Posted By: electrolover
my pcv is not replaceable unless i buy a new valve cover so i spray a bunch of Kroil down the vacuum tube every now and then to clean it out. its best to just let it sit over night if you can and let the kroil do its work. oh and if you use kreen or MMO in your oil the vapors will help clean it out too

short of pulling the egr and cleaning out i dont know what else you can do. and it seems like 2 stroke oil in your gas would only make soot build up worse

The kroil is a good idea. I've used Seafoam in the past. I'm hoping for a more consistantly manageable preventative measure. Of course, this may not exist. The tcw3/gas mixture appears to burn cleaner as seen in FriendlyJacek's YouTube video. So cleaner burn would lead to fewer deposits I would think.

Originally Posted By: Quest
LOL! How does TC-W3 in gas gets into PCV (thus cleaning it)?

Think gas and crankcase oil inside engine doesn't meet under normal condition..

Q.

Blowby. Excessive idling increases fuel dilution as seen in uoa's. Although this is still a small amount in a well tuned engine. There may be an oil additive or "catch can" idea in my future but I didn't want to double post virtually the same question in two sub forums.

You are correct, in part. I read something called the "spicer report" yesterday which researches the different fuel additives for diesel engines. It goes into the need for lubricity due to the now mandated use of Ultra Low Sulfer Fuel that diesels must use that removes the lubricating qualities of the old fuel. MMO performed poorly in this test. It actually increased wear in this test. A voa of MMO shows a lot of phosphorus, so over time catalyst efficency will be reduced slightly. But only slightly. Lubrizol's own test of catalyst efficiency proves that the difference is small between gf-4 and gf-5 oils. So I am discontinuing use of MMO due to the "spicer report" not for the phosphorus.

People put different additives in their tank to clean and improve performance. Some work, some don't. Even high quality gas like Chevron will lead to deposits over time and will need to be cleaned. Are we being a little anal, sure, but this is bitog.

Ultimately, what I'm looking for is a solution, whether through fuel or oil I don't care, to curb the upper cylinder/intake deposits that occur over time. Even with good gas.

Thanks again.
smile.gif

For PCV cleanliness, you can install catchcan if you desire (I personally have no desire to alter my engine that way). I personally would rather form a habit of undoing PCV valve and spray-clean it with solvent cleaner on a regular basis, and replace the PCV valve as a whole every several years.

For EGR: the only way you can keep the passage and the valve sealing surface clean is to run it on the highway over an extended period of time. Also: your engine mustn't burn motor oil to begin with (otherwise: the excess oil-burning related carbon in the exhaust gas will plug up your EGR far sooner than you thought).

Also: based on the encounterings I had with late modeal OBD-2 Hondas, Toyotas, etc. they have definitely gotten better with the PCV valve orientation and materials used, citing that they are mostly (if not all) made with metal body, and oriented in a larger fume cooling area (chamber) where the oily fume plugging up/gumming up seems to not be an issue anymore (I only need to spray down my wifey's camry 4cyl PCV once every 3 yrs, and never gummy/sticky... ditto with my dad's 7th gen civic (high mileage) + my 07 fit.

IMHO both PCV and EGR are sort of "necessary evil" that we cannot do away these days..

Q.

Sorry, your "blow-by" theory is a hardsell to me...*smiles*

when i got my explorer with 90k it never had any adds in the fuel. check engine light came on and had the EGR replaced by ford. i think carbon just builds up on them. if it was mine and not my wife's truck i would have just pulled it off and cleaned it but i make her take it to ford for repairs because i dont want hear "you broke it" speeches from her if something else not related goes.

On PCV, EGR, TBN being clean, I use Amsoil Power Foam at each oil change (works mint; seafoam sucks) and change the $4 PVC (toyo/lexus every 12K) miles.....

And use a good oil. No walfart here people.

Vince -
That report did show MMO caused a slight increase wear in wear of certain parts in a very limited test on a diesel.

It is not the whole picture. LOTS of unanswered questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back