NASCAR & NHRA driver salaries

Status
Not open for further replies.
I forgot to ask if it's too late for me to get my old go-cart out and start racing as that's where a lot of NASCAR drivers started.

I bet the NHRA drivers don't make much. I would say a 1/4 of the pit guys are volunteers, there just isn't big $ in drag racing.

My advise to any famous person is "SAVE YOUR MONEY!!!"

I'm tired of hearing all the sob stories about how some famous person that made millions spent it all on dumb stuff and is now broke.

I'd be more than happy with just ONE full time job right now.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
I bet the NHRA drivers don't make much. I would say a 1/4 of the pit guys are volunteers, there just isn't big $ in drag racing.

There is but only if you really play with the big boys in Top Fuel or Funny Car. I remember seeing how much John Force was worth once, and it was a pretty decent figure. But yeah, on average your poor NASCAR driver is probably a lot better off than an NHRA driver. I will say though, in my honest opinion, nothing beats standing on the starting line of a top fuel race at an NHRA track as far as a spectator experience.

Granted this article is a few years old this might give people an indication. Average Salary

In a 2008 “Ebony” magazine article, leading National Hot Rod Association (NHRA) stock drag racer Tom Hammonds estimated the average salary of a successful professional drag racer at about $150,000 per year. Adjusted for 2011 inflation rates, that comes to about $158,000 annually. In 2007, DragList journalist Steve Klemetti collected a sampling over 350 professional drag racers. The majority of pro racers — those with average performance records — reported annual earnings in the $20,000 to $40,000 range.

Earnings Range

Earnings reported on DragStrip's 2007 list exhibited a staggering range, starting as low as $250 and reaching as high as $1.08 million. Of the 359 drag racers that reported salaries, 16 percent earned over $100,000, 5 percent earned between $50,000 and $100,000, 6 percent earned between $30,000 and $50,000 and 12 percent earned between $20,000 and $30,000.

Read more: The Average Salary of a Professional Drag Racer | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/info_12113014_average-salary-professional-drag-racer.html#ixzz2DTgH4gmH

I spoke with Mrs Leonard Wood of Wood brothers fame and she said they paid their driver(Trevor Bayne) 50% of the winnings IF he won, with percentage progressing downward with lower finish position... I didn't ask if he received a base salary...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back