Water pump lube?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed a bottle of this Gunk water pump lube at the store today. Think it does any good? Does it do any bad? The water pump in my cherokee has 200,000 miles on it, and they normally only last around 100k...and I don't want to replace it.
grin.gif

DON'T USE THE GUN STUFF.

Preston makes a real good conditionar. Has lube for water pump and takes care of whole water pump system. It is in a bigger yellow box, cost about $5.75 a bottle. But I have used in last two vehicles and have NEVER had a water pump or Radiator issue.

Water Pumps usualy just use a brass bushing. The water pumps for small blocks use leather as a seal material. When you first put them on they leak until the leather swells. The antifreeze acts as a lubricant for the pump. I can neither say anything good or bad about coolant lube products.

Whether or not it works...do you guys think it would do anything bad? It's only $1.50...

quote:

Originally posted by ZmOz:
Whether or not it works...do you guys think it would do anything bad? It's only $1.50...

\

I have an aversion to putting petroleum oil
http://www.gunk.com/msds/C1012.PDF
in my cooling system.

That said, Gunk (Radiator Specialties) is a pretty good company, so their product shouldn't do any harm and will probably help water pump seal life at some small probably unnoticable sacfifice in cooling from the oil coating the metal in the engine and reducing heat transfer.

If you just want to get rid of $1.50, send it to me and I will guarantee I won't harm your cooling system
wink.gif

Use the water based Zerex Water Pump Lubricant.

There seems to be some pro-con here against Redline WaterWetter and RP Water Wetter has possibly corrosive additives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back