Low coolant/antifreeze in F150?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my coolant in my F150 is quite low, well below the cold fill range. Is there a reason that it would go down so much? Also, is Prestone 50/50 Antifreeze/Coolant a good one to add? Thanks

No idea if you have a problem without also knowing HOW LONG it took to lose that amount of coolant. If its been months or years, then its perfectly normal. If it's been since last week... that's a problem.

I wouldn't put Prestone 50/50 "all makes/all models" in my worst enemy's car, let alone mine. Use the original type coolant Ford recommends (probably G-05).

It has been at least 6 months, so it is probably OK. It has never been changed out, either. Are you supposed to change your coolant/antifreeze?

Originally Posted By: renegade_987
It has been at least 6 months, so it is probably OK. It has never been changed out, either. Are you supposed to change your coolant/antifreeze?

You are supposed to change it, the service interval will be in the owners manual.

That Prestone 50/50 is a DexClone based coolant, and factory fill was G-05. I wouldn't mix them personally.

Agreed with the above. Go to NAPA or Arnold's and pick up a gallon of Zerex GO5. That is the exact same formula that FomMoCo uses.

FWIW, your coolant should likely be changed on a 5year 100k (or 150k) mile schedule. Also just because you might not have reached the mileage, you should changed it due to age. Drain the radiator, and pull the block plugs (if equipped) and refill with GO5 at 50% mix.

I would also recommend the G-05.
Around here, CarQuest sells the Zerex G-05.
It is usually up to the individual store as to what products they carry, so 1 may have it.....and another not have it.
I think that initial change interval is 5 years......but read your owner's manual, or look it up online.

G-05 is a bit more expensive than some other coolants out there, but it is worth it.....good stuff.
Pay attention to the indication on the jug......if it is concentrate (which you would mix 50/50 with distilled water) or premix (which you would NOT add anything to).

I have had auto part store clerks try to sell me something else....telling me that is IS G-05......if it does NOT say that it IS G-05 on the label.....it is NOT.
If you have an issue locating it.....sometimes the Motorcraft brand at your local FORD dealership will be around the same price...maybe even cheaper...depending upon what the dealership is charging.

If wondering if you have a leak into the oil, you can send in a sample of your used oil to have it tested, and they will let you know.
I have used blackstone labs....visit their website for instructions and a free sample / mailing kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back