Kroil vs. New York Rust Belt Weather

Status
Not open for further replies.
No contest, NY rust belt weather wins. Using Kroil for 2 years and it's OK. Recently soaked some nuts under 10 years SUV for a few days with Kroil hoping to have an easier time removing them, and no luck. It still was a major pain removing them. Found this to be true with Kroil in other past projects underneath the vehicles. Hard to use a heat wrench near rubber , fuel lines, etc.

Made a list a few years ago of about 20-30 rust penetrating oils on found on internet forums that others recommended. Looks looks I'll have to try some new ones. Used CRC Freeze Off on a past job and found it to work , fairly decent, even if I had to use half the can.

Used PB Blaster for years and Liquid Wrench, before Kroil.

Kind of ticked off. Went to an estate sale and saw two spray can of a rust Penetrant with graphite, red can and made in New York, forgot the name and never heard of it before. The deceased man might have been a machinist since he had many machinist tools. Went the second day and the mentioned was gone. It might have been the Magic Elixir, I've been looking for BUT probably not.

Last edited:
Did you give them a sharp tap a few times to get some vibration going after you soaked them? I found by doing that with any of the penetrating oils it made a big difference.

3 in one used to make a penetrant with graphite.It was dark in color and even came in those tiny flat cans with the pull up nozzle.If I remember right the can was yellow/black/white.

Lisle tools makes a tool kit now that has sockets and a center stem that fits in your zip gun.The idea is to vibrate the bolt head while turning the socket with a wrench at the same time.I don't know,seems to me you would be compressing the bolt even tighter by hammering it like that.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Did you give them a sharp tap a few times to get some vibration going after you soaked them? I found by doing that with any of the penetrating oils it made a big difference.

+1 this is recommended by PB Blaster to get the penetrant flowing into the rusted area.

That's why a (small) impact gun can be effective, esp. when reversing directions several times, after soaking with PB or Deep Creep-helps the stuff get into the threads (or in my usual problem, the pulley & motor).

I found CRC Freeze Off worked very well on the rusted differential fill plug on my Buick. I soaked for over a week with both PB and Kroil and it wouldn't budge. I pounded on it. Nothing. Then froze it and it came right out.

I've also been using it alot lately (CRC Freeze-off). It works in many situations where other products won't. The priciple itself really is very sound; metal shrinks slightly when its temperature is significantly lowered. Heating of course is another method, but not always practical.

Last edited:
I've had great success with Kroil, but I just bought some Silikroil (with silicone) and plan to try this on difficult situations. I too live in the rust belt, (Michigan) and both my cars have over 220K on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back