"Back to Black" trim protectant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone use "Back to Black" trim protectant? The old version used to be very good. I see it is back on the market from several on-line vendors. TIA

Back to black is only for ecterior trim, not vinyl or any interior trim. BTW, aerospace 303 is good stuff. I have used it on my interior, especially top of the dash for years.

A couple comments if I may:

(1) Not all versions of silicone are bad for rubber, plastic, vinyl, etc. There are over 30,000 formulations for silicone, some are great and some not so much. There are certain types of silicone oil which can cause problems with some surfaces. Unless someone knows exactly what silicone is in Back To Black or has an MSDS, I would not assume it's bad for your car.

(2) I find it kinda funny that Larry Reynolds and the Car Care Online crew suggest you don't use products with silicone oil in them yet recommend Vinylex. Ya know what's in Vinylex? Silicone oil!!! The VP of Summit Industries, makers of Vinylex and Lexol, told me that. So silicone protectants are not all bad. I do recommend staying away from the solvent-based oily dressings, especially for use on interior plastics.

(3) Mothers Back To Black is white and creamy, and goes on clear. It's plenty safe for exterior trim like cladding, bumpers, luggage racks, running boards, etc. For best performance apply a coat, let it dry for a few minutes, buff it with a clean towel, then apply a second coat. B2B has no dyes or coloring agents in it so it will not stain or alter the color of your trim. Think of B2B as a plastic restorer with a light cleaning ability. You can use a water-based dressing on top of B2B to maintain the looks and extend the life of B2B.

Hope all this helps!

It is almost clear, thick and oily feeling. Seems to soak in hard smooth/textured plastic, cleans black metal trim (like around BMW windows), soaks into rubber. Let soak a few minutes and wipe off/buff the excess. Surrface appears smooth and non-greasy and black with a soft shine. Sorry for the error.

Quote:

A couple comments if I may:

(1) Not all versions of silicone are bad for rubber, plastic, vinyl, etc. There are over 30,000 formulations for silicone, some are great and some not so much. There are certain types of silicone oil which can cause problems with some surfaces. Unless someone knows exactly what silicone is in Back To Black or has an MSDS, I would not assume it's bad for your car.

(2) I find it kinda funny that Larry Reynolds and the Car Care Online crew suggest you don't use products with silicone oil in them yet recommend Vinylex. Ya know what's in Vinylex? Silicone oil!!! The VP of Summit Industries, makers of Vinylex and Lexol, told me that. So silicone protectants are not all bad. I do recommend staying away from the solvent-based oily dressings, especially for use on interior plastics.

(3) Mothers Back To Black is white and creamy, and goes on clear. It's plenty safe for exterior trim like cladding, bumpers, luggage racks, running boards, etc. For best performance apply a coat, let it dry for a few minutes, buff it with a clean towel, then apply a second coat. B2B has no dyes or coloring agents in it so it will not stain or alter the color of your trim. Think of B2B as a plastic restorer with a light cleaning ability. You can use a water-based dressing on top of B2B to maintain the looks and extend the life of B2B.

Hope all this helps!

Your are correct about the silicone.
I was wondering if someone understood the error in the above posts.

So far, Black Again, seems to make exterior plastic/rubber trim, including black metal, very dark with a soft shine. Holding up very well on my wife's explorer mirrors and plastic trim around the windshield. Mother's "Back to black" fades in a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back