2003 Pontiac Vibe , 5w30 nextgen, PL14477 ~7kmi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I new this one wasn't going to be pretty, This is my buddy's car, I change the oil just so I know that it gets done. Car has a well worn 175k mi, last 6-8,000 were over this last winter, polar vortex and all. Told him to take it somewhere and have the oil changed a couple months back (early Feb),he "never got around to it. "

vibe%2520uoa%2520april%25202014.jpg

Inspected the air Filter when i changed the oil,(K&N Drop in I bought when he got the car in summer '10 w/around 120k mi.) just about due for a Cleaning, but i Did Notice that one of the Clips that holds the airbox shut is missing. there's our phantom silicon.
next oil change, (october or sooner) I'll replace the K&N with a paper filter, and Ducttape the box shut....

Blackstone UOA PDF - for clearer reading

Filter Autopsy

Wait, is this related: "Did the oil Change a week ago, couple days back drove a self tapping screw into the dome end, and drained the oil within(Nextgen Conv. 5w30), which was sent for a UOA. should be interesting."

i.e. - this ISN'T a "clean catch" sample?

Do not draw any conclusions from this UOA.

My $.02

yes, i made sure to tell them as much on the slip, and it's a cleaner sample than I'd have gotten from the drain pan. that got contaminated with degreaser before i had a sample kit available to me.

From Blackstone's FAQ page:http://www.blackstone-labs.com/faq.php

"What about the oil left in the filter? Can I use that instead?

Sure, just make a note on the slip that the oil came from the filter. If something really bizarre shows up, we'll take that into account. It shouldn't change much in the analysis, though."

Never knew they would recommend that as a backup! Thanks for pointing that out. I would think that condensation could form possibly and that contaminants might get concentrated in oil adjacent to the filter media.

IMO, the engine is fine and not dying.

Given the miles run and the conditions under which the car was used, this isn't too horrible.
A mid-drain sample would probably have looked better, since you probably got some excess debris from the oil filter.
That wouldn't have changed TBN or moisture levels, though.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Wait, is this related: "Did the oil Change a week ago, couple days back drove a self tapping screw into the dome end, and drained the oil within(Nextgen Conv. 5w30), which was sent for a UOA. should be interesting."

i.e. - this ISN'T a "clean catch" sample?

Do not draw any conclusions from this UOA.

My $.02

+1 - it's an 11 year old beater with 175k miles and a suspect oil sample taken from the filter. (with a self tapping screw!) It's not going to die anytime soon - at least not from oil related engine failure. SuperTech oil was made with this car in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back