05 Subaru LGT 4K,5w30 PP , 10ppm Pb + gold flecks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posted my first oil report here back in 2006, back again with the same car with more mods. Got my numbers back from Blackstone and just wanted confirmation as to what may be going on before I drop the car off for a rebuild.

I sent two samples in, lead was high in one of the samples (10ppm) but all other metals and oil properties were normal in both. I don't know which sample is which (had them stored in clean containers), but assume the 10ppm lead one was the 2nd.

It looks like lead is present in the larger bearings in the EJ255, which points to bearing wear. But without any iron, it seems I caught it fairly early? Not getting any audible knock or performance/fuel economy changes, and the current mods have been on the car for 5 years/40K miles.

Only thing I can think of is that perhaps my fuel pump is going/bad gas caused detonation and I hammered the rod bearing(s) and/or had a lubrication issue?

Next Steps
I haven't checked the IAM value in a very long time, so I'll be tracking down a cable and checking to make sure IAM is still 1.0. Anything else that I should check (cut oil filter at last change and it was clean) or any thoughts on what happened/how to avoid it going forward much appreciated.

Thanks!

-B

Code:

Sample Average

ALUMINUM 3 3

CHROMIUM 1 1

IRON 7 8

COPPER 9 13

LEAD 10 5

TIN 0 1

MOLYBDENUM 45 48

NICKEL 0 0

MANGANESE 0 0

SILVER 2 1

TITANIUM 0 0

POTASSIUM 2 1

BORON 30 22

SILICON 4 8

SODIUM 7 5

CALCIUM 2141 2086

MAGNESIUM 28 22

PHOSPHORUS 709 683

ZINC 895 802

BARIUM 0 0

Last edited:
Not sure I agree with your diagnoses with only 10 PPM of lead on one UOA. Possibly have Blackstone redo the analysis or if you still have more sample, send out to another lab before going to rebuilding. My opinion. Ed

If you worry so much about it just run a really short OCI as a rinse, do a UOA and see if the Pb is still high. No need to go to drastic measures over one UOA.

Originally Posted By: Beanboy
Posted my first oil report here back in 2006, back again with the same car with more mods. Got my numbers back from Blackstone and just wanted confirmation as to what may be going on before I drop the car off for a rebuild.

10 ppm of lead would not necessarily lead me to rebuild the engine unless I am experiencing operational issues.

Looking at your posts you report running something like this:

Stage 2 Power Package

over the last eight years.

Wouldn't that explain the additional stress on the bearings?

Along with the elevated Pb, did have visible flecks in the oil on the last two changes, which is why I sent the oil in for analysis. Is there a particle size between visible to the naked eye, what gets caught by the filter, and what can be measured via oil analysis?

My lead jumped to 10 right before a turbo failure. Stop running girly man oil in an '05 Subaru turbo.
smile.gif

Where's the rest of the uoa ? Are you still running the AVCS/turbo banjo bolt screens ?

-Dennis

turbo's blowing in LGT's seem to be the rule, including the one i bought recently which is now in the queue to be repaired sometime this fall. I would suggest proactively replacing yours.

Aftermarket turbo hss been in place for 5 years/40K. Forced Performance 20G. Banjo bolt screens removed at the same time.

Sourcing a log cable (got rid of APV1 when I went for a custom tune) to check IAM.

I think the next step beyond checking for knock will be dropping pan, checking oil pickup and inspecting turbo before going for a full rebuild starts. Hate to take the engine out and find it was a journal bearing in the turbo going.

Did you upgrade the oil line with the turbo? Or are you running stock line with banjo filter pulled?

Oh WTH?

http://store.forcedperformance.net/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=Oil_Supply

Just read that in 2009 FP said to go with larger banjo bolt and oil line? Wish I had known about this change since I bought in the fall of 2007.

Anway, checked IAM today and still at 1.0, so the ECU hasn't made any overall corrections due to knock.

So I think it may come down to a turbo rebuild/replace oil pan and cooler, and maybe new oil pickup and hope that no damage was done to other bearings. Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back