2013 Toyota Camry LE TGMO 0W-20 UOA 2,570Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Below is what I sent for info to Blackstone and below that is the image of the UOA sheet.

REMARKS 2013 CAMRY 2.5L 0W-20 .
This is my first Blackstone test on my “bought it brand new” Toyota Camry 2.5L

--This sample from the 3rd oil change in it’s 9,570mile life. FYI- Original air filter.
--This oil is 3 months 2,570miles of service during this time it has been very cold in Wisconsin and has about 20 minutes of warm-up idling per day followed by 30 minutes of highway driving.
--The car does mostly rural highway miles 30miles 2x per day.
Inquiry: With the warm-up idling daily (20min., which I hate to do) at extreme temps (0F to -27F) for 2 of the 3 months oil service…therefore, is there a fuel dilution problem in this sample? Or did the highway miles burn off the fuel load well.
Inquiry: The dealer OVERFILLED this engine by ¾ quart after which I drove 50 miles on highway, no obvious damage or warning lights but I “caught” the overfill when I checked oil level the next day as matter of habit. Then it was drained to proper level. Does it look like it starved any bearings from the oil overfill?
Inquiry: In general, anything weird happening in this “new car engine”??

photostream
https://www.flickr.com/photos/digitalanalog/12684068335/in/photostream/

Not to distract from anybody's overall comments, which are the most valuable, but as an aside....

I see the Calcium looks kinda high, especially since this is oil with appx. 3k miles on it compared to their about 6k unit average numbers.

Thoughts overall? Thoughts about the calcium?

Last edited:
Again wait until 20,000 miles to test. Both of your Toyotas can go 5000 oci. You will get all kinds of weird readings on a new engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Not to distract from anybody's overall comments, which are the most valuable, but as an aside....

I see the Calcium looks kinda high, especially since this is oil with appx. 3k miles on it compared to their about 6k unit average numbers.

Thoughts overall? Thoughts about the calcium?

Calcium is an oil additive, so it's nothing to be concerned about. Just means the package of additives the manufacturer of the oil in your car contained more of it than the oils drained and submitted to Blackstone. While there are broad similarities, additives like calcium, boron, molybdenum, sodium, titanium, et al can vary considerably among oil brands..

Oil looks fine.
But "20 minutes of warm-up idling" is severe and not recommended. Are you trying to melt ice off every day?
My entire drive to work is < 20 minutes and reach normal temperature in ~2 miles even on coldest days.

Don't fret about break-in numbers with either of your cars.
It's kind of a waste to UOA the factory fill at all, since you already know that everything will look ugly.
I have an UOA of the factory fill from our '12 Accord and it's ugly.
UOA your third OCI on each and I'm sure you'll be pleased.
Also, you should type in the results in a text box (or not) here for easy access to other members.

Looks like a nice break-in UOA to me. If you think the fuel dilution is too high, then change the oil.

I don't think anyone buys a personal vehicle to drive to work so they can freeze to death. Let it warm up and enjoy the ride!

Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
Looks like a nice break-in UOA to me. If you think the fuel dilution is too high, then change the oil.

I don't think anyone buys a personal vehicle to drive to work so they can freeze to death. Let it warm up and enjoy the ride!

Someone I work with bought a '13 Rav4 last November. She lives maybe 2-3 miles from work and warms her vehicle up for at least 15 minutes when cold. I swear she has more idling time on her engine than driving time.

Moly looks a little low. Do you think that's from the idling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back