Motul 8100 5w40, 9,000 miles, 2002 WRX (18G turbo)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't posted on here for a long time, but recently got a UOA back. This is a 9,000 mile drain interval on Motul 8100 5w40 full-synth -- it's the second change with this oil, which I switched to at the recommendation of my new tuner (I moved to Arizona). I didn't get a sample last time because I had to change my entire oil pan (nasty rock dinged up my undercarriage a bit and directly impacted my temp sensor/drain plug, creating a leaky seal. the new temp sensor is mounted separately in the pan).

I was using Redline for a while (easy to spot with the high molybdenum readings) and GC. Looks like it's holding up just fine despite the long interval and scalding temps we get down here (we can go a month without the temp falling BELOW 90 degrees). I have not done any trackdays on the car for a while though.

Iron obviously is a bit of a concern... not sure if there may be something there with my new oil pan/temp sensor/etc or what. Silicon also high, which may just be a factor of having TONS of dust in the air down here... the mountains outside my house are obscured by blowing dust as I type this. I actually switched from a K&N to a paper filter with my most recent change, so we'll see what happens....

The last UOA thread I posted is here: GC UOA

The car was further modified since then (mostly just porting and ceramic-coating the headers/turbo/exhaust) and retuned, now making about 315 AWHP on 91 octane.

Ted

575422_10201300667378129_1807757484_n.jpg

Wow, pretty good report for the mileage IMO! Iron isn't bad at all for a 9k mile interval! Probably a good idea ditching the K&N. You didn't need to add any make-up oil? I think that's amazing. I'm happy if I have to add less than 2 quarts in a 6k mile interval. I probably would have gone for a TBN.

Is this Motul X-cess or X-clean?

-Dennis

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TedMeyer

Iron obviously is a bit of a concern... not sure if there may be something there with my new oil pan/temp sensor/etc or what. Silicon also high, which may just be a factor of having TONS of dust in the air down here... the mountains outside my house are obscured by blowing dust as I type this. I actually switched from a K&N to a paper filter with my most recent change, so we'll see what happens....

Ted

That will make a quantifiable difference to your silicon and Fe IME.

A friend is a filtration engineer/researcher, has worked with Donaldson, Cummins/Fleetgaurd and Mann-Hummel and co-written peer reviewed papers.
Several years ago we've run tests (well he ran the tests, I just supplied the filters) between several cellulose fibre (paper) and oiled cotton gauze (K&N) 4WD filters in his lab. (IIRC it compared the weight/quntity of very fine latex media fed in upstream vs downstream of the filter)

He isn't impressed with K&N air filters, let alone in a high dust situation and it all backed up what an oil analysis guru had mentioned to me years before when comparing UOA's.

Last edited:
I think this is Motul X-cess. X-clean has a bit less phosphorus and much less calcium. Hello? Where are you?
grin.gif

-Dennis

And why in the world were you running Red Line? Lucky your engine didn't explode. buster thinks it sucks.
lol.gif
28.gif
Trolling.gif

-Dennis

Last edited:
It's 8100 X-Cess. And no, I've never needed to add oil between changes. Ever. Even on a Stage 4, and even when I was running track days regularly. Tight engine, I guess.

With the Redline, you know, I did a lot of research and talked to race mechanics who swear by the stuff. I wouldn't hesitate to use it again. But I'm looking at the Motul thinking it's just as good without the "hair"... And then I look at the GC, and wonder if I shouldn't just use that, since it's generally cheaper and more readily available. I have seen no difference in my oil temps between brands at all, and I don't think the difference in viscosity is much to be concerned about.

We'll see what happens with the paper filter... come to think of it, I don't think the car has had a paper filter in it since a few months after I bought it. What's the theory behind better air filtration reducing iron? Will be interesting to see if that proves true. (Reminds me to change my cabin filter, too!)

Ted

Sure, but I guess I was wondering why Fe specifically... I guess iron cylinder liners would be the obvious thing....

Sure, but I guess I was wondering why Fe specifically... I guess iron cylinder liners would be the obvious thing....

Also piston rings. Sometimes Cr goes up with piston ring wear because certain piston rings use an alloy with chromium in it.

So I pulled some extra oil from the pan (which was clean, but not surgically clean, so take this with a grain of salt) and had a TBN done...

Result was 2.9. So even if there was some contamination, I'm still impressed with the Motul.

Ted

Originally Posted By: tdi-rick

Ted

That will make a quantifiable difference to your silicon and Fe IME.

A friend is a filtration engineer/researcher, has worked with Donaldson, Cummins/Fleetgaurd and Mann-Hummel and co-written peer reviewed papers.
Several years ago we've run tests (well he ran the tests, I just supplied the filters) between several cellulose fibre (paper) and oiled cotton gauze (K&N) 4WD filters in his lab. (IIRC it compared the weight/quntity of very fine latex media fed in upstream vs downstream of the filter)

He isn't impressed with K&N air filters, let alone in a high dust situation and it all backed up what an oil analysis guru had mentioned to me years before when comparing UOA's.
I am not an engineer [not smart enough] But in the early 1970s we tried them [K@N] on our dirt bikes and found they let in more dirt than the oem filters, judged by the dirt in the carbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back