2005 Subaru Legacy GT, Pennzoil Ultra 10w-30 4040m

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have my first ever UOA results. I have stayed near the Subaru recommended 3750mi OCI for severe duty. I'm stage 3 with upgraded turbo, injectors, etc. Probably about 300whp. I have run PU for the last four changes at least, and before that it was PP. I run the 10w30 for a bit more shear protection, which seems to be working. I know I could go longerl, but I want my oil to be in grade, so I'd rather dump early and have piece of mind. Too much invested time and money to try to push oci. Looks like my aftermarket intake could use a cleaning and re-oil.

Code:

DATE SAMPLED DATE RECEIVED DATE REPORTED

01-Apr-13 10-Apr-13 11-Apr-13

OIL ANALYSIS REPORT

UIN 032BExx

2005 Legacy GT 91,669mi

Pennzultra 10w30, 4040miles with wix filter

Metals (ppm)

Iron (Fe) 8

Chromium (Cr)
Lead (Pb) 5

Copper (Cu) 2

Tin (Sn)
Aluminium (Al) 3

Nickel (Ni)
Silver (Ag)
Titanium (Ti)
Vanadium (V)
Contaminants (ppm)

Silicon (Si) 10

Sodium (Na) 9

Potassium (K)
Water (%)
Coolant No

Additives (ppm)

Magnesium (Mg) 3

Calcium (Ca) 2565

Barium (Ba)
Phosphorus (P) 738

Zinc (Zn) 853

Molybdenum (Mo) 57

Boron (B) 232

Physical Tests

Viscosity (cSt 100C) 10.0

Physical / Chemical

Base Number (mgKOH/g) 4.5

Last edited:
I ran this interval for 4-5 months. I hope to pull another UOA with similar miles on the the Castrol Edge 0w-40 I put in this time as well. After that I might even do a round of 0w40 M1 for giggles.

I will run my car up into high rpm's on occasion. Most of my driving is a 15min commute into work and around town. the commute is mostly highway. Seems like the 10w30 PU is a good choice for Turbo Subaru's. Being a moderate climate around here I had been running it year round. No noticeable cold start problems due to not staying with a 5w30 as primary recommendation by subaru.

Excellent Report.

I too like the PU 10W-30 that has plenty of boron and moly in it. Your modified engine needs the extra protection and margin of error from more frequent servicing... since you have "too much invested time and money to try to push oci".

Good luck.

I forgot to mention that I did add 2/3 a quart toward the end of the OCI, that likely bumped the TBN some. I'm undecided if I'm in the "1/3" or "
Since this was my first uoa, didn't really know what would come back for sure. Although I had a feeling that TBN wise I was leaving some on the table following the severe service 3750 oci with synthetic.

I've always been more worried about shearing viscosity down and having issues from that. I once added up my total modification costs, and I then decided oil was cheap. :)

Thanks for all the comments!

I would probably want lead a little lower on such a short interval. IMO, your silicon probably won't drop that much with that intake. In addition to helping the TBN, I'm guessing the make-up oil may have increased the viscosity as well.

What EM and are you protuned? Looking forward to the BC uoa if you do one.

19.gif

-Dennis

Last edited:
Open Source and tactrix cable, tuned via email by Infamous1. 16gBNR, Cobb intake, avo tmic, grimspeed up/xpipe, Cobb dp, catback, 650cc injectors, cp, tgv deletes...

I run 10w30 synthetic for the exact reason, and this UOA makes me feel happier about my decision.

However, I am using Castrol Gold Edge.

Originally Posted By: 05LGTLtd
I have my first ever UOA results. I have stayed near the Subaru recommended 3750mi OCI for severe duty. I'm stage 3 with upgraded turbo, injectors, etc. Probably about 300whp. I have run PU for the last four changes at least, and before that it was PP. I run the 10w30 for a bit more shear protection, which seems to be working. I know I could go longerl, but I want my oil to be in grade, so I'd rather dump early and have piece of mind. Too much invested time and money to try to push oci. Looks like my aftermarket intake could use a cleaning and re-oil.

Code:

DATE SAMPLED DATE RECEIVED DATE REPORTED

01-Apr-13 10-Apr-13 11-Apr-13

OIL ANALYSIS REPORT

UIN 032BExx

2005 Legacy GT 91,669mi

Pennzultra 10w30, 4040miles with wix filter

Metals (ppm)

Iron (Fe) 8

Chromium (Cr)
Lead (Pb) 5

Copper (Cu) 2

Tin (Sn)
Aluminium (Al) 3

Nickel (Ni)
Silver (Ag)
Titanium (Ti)
Vanadium (V)
Contaminants (ppm)

Silicon (Si) 10

Sodium (Na) 9

Potassium (K)
Water (%)
Coolant No

Additives (ppm)

Magnesium (Mg) 3

Calcium (Ca) 2565

Barium (Ba)
Phosphorus (P) 738

Zinc (Zn) 853

Molybdenum (Mo) 57

Boron (B) 232

Physical Tests

Viscosity (cSt 100C) 10.0

Physical / Chemical

Base Number (mgKOH/g) 4.5

If dropping out of grade doesn't contribute to more wear what exactly does it harm,which then begs the question why not extend the interval more since you are getting uoa done anyways it would be smart money spent to see how far you can go,thereby getting value from the oil.
If your going to spend the money acquiring data why not use that data to extend lube run times and get a return on investment
confused.gif

Originally Posted By: Clevy
If dropping out of grade doesn't contribute to more wear what exactly does it harm,which then begs the question why not extend the interval more since you are getting uoa done anyways it would be smart money spent to see how far you can go,thereby getting value from the oil.
If your going to spend the money acquiring data why not use that data to extend lube run times and get a return on investment
confused.gif

+1

That oil came from the refinery with viscosity of 10 cst @100C. The oil didn't shear a single point at your current OCI.

I have a similar engine on my 2011 WRX and I run the 5w30 flavor of PU. Due to higher viscosity index it technically should be more prone to shearing than 10w30 that you ran. Mine didn't shear a single point at 7,500 OCI either.

PU is such a stout oil that I wouldn't doubt it would last longer in your engine with as much protection as the day you poured it in.

Even at 7,500 miles I think I can go even longer with PU and I would if it wasn't for my factory warranty.

Check out my UOA here.

Last edited:
Quote:

confused.gif

My car is spec'd for a 30 or 40 weight oil. It is not spec'd for a Xw-20, so I'd rather not risk any shear.

Although lots of folks use uoa's to determine how much they can push the oci, that was not my goal here. I just wanted to know if my engine looked good (first uoa @91k) and if the oil was doing what I thought it was. If TBN was bumped up some by the make up oil I added, and you subscribe to the 1/3 of original TBN, then there may not have been much more life left in this sample. Opinions on that will vary, I get it. Without a TAN it's harder to tell.

Also since I had run this oil exclusively for the last few oci's I thought it was a good time to test. With PU drying up in some areas I was not sure how much longer I would continue with it. I have now switched to Castrol 0w40 and will get an uoa at about the same usage so I can compare.

I personally think PU is a great oil, but if I can get GC/BC for less I will switch. Just trying to verify that I'm not compromising anything doing so. I have always run the short "severe duty" interval, and have not problems with my avcs or the banjo filter, fwiw. (I don't have the banjo filter anymore, since upgraded turbo supply line when installing the 16g ~30k ago.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back