9,000-mile results are in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
...and Amsoil holds steady everywhere but TBN. Tsk tsk.

Paradise Garage Synthetic Oil Life Study

Cheers, 3MP

code:

Aluminum 4

Chromium 1

Iron 17

Copper 69

Lead 12

Tin 0

Molybdenum 5

Nickel 1

Manganese 1

Silver 0

Titanium 0

Potassium 1

Boron 26

Silicon 11

Sodium 3

Calcium 2047

Magnesium 733

Phosphorus 828

Zinc 1118

Barium 0

Viscosity 71.5

Flashpoint 410

Fuel
Antifreeze 0

Water 0

Insolubles 0.4%

TBN 1.9

[ June 08, 2004, 11:28 PM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

haha,, i had just posted in the 8000 mile post that your results were up.

What's the opinion of the oil? The wear metals still look great. What role is the TBN going to play if the oil still performs well?

Interesting.....

Now, duck!!

Incoming!!!
twak.gif

Have you tried measuring the TBN with a Dexsil kit yet?

Those kits I sent you expire 7/04. Now's a perfect time to compare Blackstone's TBN and Dexsil.

Wear metals are ok. I have no idea about TBN and I don't think anyone else does either.
dunno.gif

I agree with satterfi, try the Dexil kit?
smile.gif

what? now TBN does not matter because it's **Amsoil?? 5-30 turns into +40 and because of it being **Amsoil it's of no concern?? TIME TO DUMP IT AND MOVE ON! FOR IT FAILED IN TRYING TO COMPETE WITH M1!! THE REMARKS I HAVE JUST MADE ARE NOT IN ANYWAY MENT TO BE A SLAM ON **AMSOIL, THE FACTS ARE THE FACTS, READ THEM AND FIGURE IT OUT FOR YOURSELF. 18000mi-M1/9000mi-**Amsoil=M1 2to1 so far (ps just got the 10,000mile sample results back on the 3.75qts/5-30 M1 with 1/2qt of make-up when the filter was replaced at 5000mi and it's TBN was 4.1 in my 70000mi 98Suzuki Swift.)

where are they? I click on the oil study link and it still only shows the 8K results???? What is the TBN now?

Its there just click the link above and scroll down.

Hmmmmmm.....It may make it to 11,000.

Daily Drives:
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab, 2.7 Liter , Mobil1 Synthetic SS 5W-30.
ODO 8800 Miles.
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner 3.0 V6, Mobil1 Synthetic SS 10W-30.
ODO 90500 Miles.
http://community.webshots.com/user/amkeer

I have to agree. The facts are in black and white here. If you weren't constantly topping it off and were driving shorter trips this oil would be done in my book. But in this particular case though the wear numbers don't scare me at all yet so let's see what 10k will bring.

[ June 08, 2004, 09:14 PM: Message edited by: JWRENCH ]

ummm still dont see it, scroll down and i still see the samples up to and including 8K but no 9K??? whats the TBN guys?

What would the reason be that Mobil went so many miles and Amsoil went X miles. Amsoil wear is obvious lower but TBN no so good. It might be an engine think where one oil will perform better in different situation. Hmmmm I don't know.

I'm not sure what to make of this TBN myself. I'm not allowed to say anything, but I have NEVER seen the TBN dive so fast in any car I've run Amsoil in...but I've never used Blackstone more than once either. I've Amsoil in a turbo for over 10K miles...TBN was 11.4. I don't understand what's going on here.

The oil is protecting. It's NOT acidic. It's not tar. Let's not get all excited here.

But pulling the plug on the oil now is just not correct. M1 got a new filter and top up at 12K. So at least go that far.

I edited his original post to include the numbers.This is why we don't allow links to data.It's so much easier to discuss a topic if the numbers are on the page.

Mark

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
I'm not sure what to make of this TBN myself. I'm not allowed to say anything ...

But pulling the plug on the oil now is just not correct. M1 got a new filter and top up at 12K. So at least go that far.

What do you mean you're not allowed to say anything?

I'm sure IF this oil makes it to 12K, it will get a new filter and top up. But is it going to make it to 12K? I seriously doubt it the way it's performing.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by 3 Mad Ponchos:
...and Amsoil holds steady everywhere but TBN. Tsk tsk.
[/CODE]

Actually, Amsoil is down by 1/2 quart of makeup oil at this point in time. With this change adding 1 qt, both oils should be at 3 qts makeup used by 10k miles.

In doing the comparison of Blackstones old TBN process versus the new one I can conclude that the old one was much more sensitive and accurate. When makeup oil was added it would show an increase. The newer method you can't really tell because it appears to have the accuracy of a shotgun.

I noticed a blurb on the website implying Amsoil may have some influence over CTC's (now Staveley Services) oil analysis services with respect to the results. CTC has the largest laboratory network in North America and has been in business for over 40 years. To imply that they would risk their reputation just to make Amsoil look good is really beyond reality.

[ June 09, 2004, 03:09 AM: Message edited by: wulimaster ]

I'm less impressed than I could be so far on the test.

But to answer some questions, and given that these engiens oft run over full for road racing etc with the OEMs blessing......

If the oil reaches a condemn limit, I'd like to see an amount of oil added to bring it to par with the M1, and run for a few hundred miles and re-analysed, to confirm the +/- oil added argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back