Honda Accord Manual Transmission Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a new 2007 Honda Accord V6 6MT 4 door almost exactly a year ago. The transmission was jumping out of both first or second gears the first day. Supposedly on Honda’s advice the dealer asked me to drive the car for 1500 Km to see if it improved with a bit of wear. I contacted Honda Customer Relations and protested that this was unsafe and they agreed to replace the transmission at about 500 Km (300 miles). The new one seemed fine at first.

Last fall when it got cold it began jumping out of first gear again - on a fairly steep down slope (about 6% as a guess) at about 2000 RPM. Going down that hill in first gear seems the normal way to drive when the traffic is crawling down that hill, which it often is in winter conditions. The second transmission has never jumped out of second gear and it only jumps out of first gear on a slope. It’s done it maybe a dozen times.

Honda ‘Shop Talk’ Issue 05-07 recommends replacing the transmission fluid with Honda MTF P/N 08798-9031C for manual transmissions with stiff shifting or popping out of gear. I was just about to do that but the dealer tells me they had already put it in the new transmission so replacing it seems like a waste of time and money (and Honda won’t cover it under warrantee).

My dealer tells me that I should just go down that hill in second gear and use the brakes. They also say no-one else is having a problem with this transmission, so (presumably) I should just suck it up and stop complaining.

Does anyone else think a manual transmission jumping out of first gear on a down slope in an almost new car is acceptable? It now has just over 20,000 km (12,500 miles) on it.

And has anyone else had problems with the Accord 6MT?

2007 Honda Accord V6 6MT
2000 BMW 528i 5MT Sport

Both the MT fluid (to new Honda spec) and the hydraulic fluid need to be changed.

You have both an actuation and a viscotity problem. Two separate issues at the same time.

No manual should ever jump out of gear.

Originally Posted By: ecotourist
Does anyone else think a manual transmission jumping out of first gear on a down slope in an almost new car is acceptable?

It would not be acceptable to me. Then again, I never actually use the 1st gear for continued driving. I only use it to get going from a dead stop.

You really need to learn how to drive manual. Going downhill in a first gear at 2000rpm is insane! No wonder second tranny dying on you.

Originally Posted By: gaspo
You really need to learn how to drive manual. Going downhill in a first gear at 2000rpm is insane! No wonder second tranny dying on you.

2000 rpm is barely above idling, I do not see anything wrong with it
54.gif

ffracer said "Both the MT fluid (to new Honda spec) and the hydraulic fluid need to be changed."

Remember that the special transmission fluid was put in the new transmission when it was installed - which was a year and 20,000 Km (12,500 miles ago). With that information do you still think it needs replacing?

When you say to change the hydraulic fluid I assume you mean the clutch fluid? The problem occurs when it is fully in gear and the clutch is not in use. The clutch action seems perfectly normal. Not sure how the clutch would be involved in the problem.

Thanks for your comment that "No manual should ever jump out of gear." That's what I think. And that's what another Honda dealer in British Columbia said too.

I've considered whether I'm pushing the transmission too hard but honestly 2000 RPM seems reasonable in any gear and first gear seems to be the best gear to maintain control in creeping traffic on that hill. FWIW I've been driving manual transmissions for over 40 years and I've never had this problem before.

2007 Honda Accord V6 6MT
2000 BMW 528i 5MT Sport

If a transmission is jumping out of gear it's not working correctly.

Driving at 2000RPM in 1st gear is absolutely a normal thing to do. If it makes a Honda tranny die then Honda trannys are [censored].

Originally Posted By: brianl703
If a transmission is jumping out of gear it's not working correctly.

Driving at 2000RPM in 1st gear is absolutely a normal thing to do. If it makes a Honda tranny die then Honda trannys are [censored].

Can't agree more. I have to say, you've been quite tolerant and patient compared to what I would have done by now. Any car I drove that had problems on the first day would be a car I'd be demanding at threat of lawsuit that Honda take back.

There is a known problem with Honda manuals causing them to jump out of gear (particularly 2nd gear)and should be warrantied by Honda. Check service bulletins on this.

Before we jump into conclusions, here's something that I would like to find out from the original poster RE: Honda M/T gearbox jumping out of 1st gear (regardless of engine RPM):

(1) How do you do shifting? Do you depress your clutch pedal all the way to the floor (when the pedal actually hits the floor/firewall end) before you shift it in/out of gear?

(2) Does this problem happen to 2/3/4/5 gears or reverse?

(3) do you have a tendency of laying your hand on the gear shifter while you are in gear?

The reason why I ask these is because, as much as most readers conceive M/T gearbox to be indestructible, in reality, what really kills an M/T gearbox is poor/improper shifting. If you do not depress the clutch pedal all the way in before you begin to shift into gears (incl. 1st gear), you are actually imposing unnecessary stress not only to the synchros (gear clashing/grinding) but also the gear shifter detention system. I've seen gearboxes damaged this way (ended up needing a rebuild) for the gearbox refused to stay in gear (just pops right out of it's position).

In my mech days, I've seen bad drivers popping their M/T gearboxes in very short notice: from Mazda to Suzuki to Honda. I'm currently on my 5th M/T car (fit) and I have yet to have such troubles (previously, all my M/T gearboxes added up to half-million miles of travelling.

Q.

There is a recent TSB on every 6 speed manual in the Honda lineup. It is very involved and calls for roughly 10 hours of labor on the repair. Press your dealer about this and use google to find the number of the TSB, print it, and take it to them. A call to Honda customer service is also in order since they will be aware of it.

Honda 6 Speed Manual Transmission Problems

A TSB has been released to address the 3rd gear grinds, pop outs and difficulty engaging the gear.

HONDA VEHICLES AFFECTED:

* 2003-2007 Accord V6 with M/T = ALL

* 2008 Accord V6 with M/T 2-Door = From VIN 1HGCS218.8A000001 thru 1HGCS218.8A003478

* 2006-2007 Civic Si 2-Door = ALL

* 2008 Civic Si 2-Door = From VIN 2HGFG215.8H700001 thru 2HGFG215.8H701973

* 2007 Civic Si 4-Door = ALL

* 2008 Civic Si 4-Door = From VIN 2HGFA555.8H700001 thru 2HGFA555.8H702465

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quest
LOL! Fit is not on the list.

thumbsup2.gif

Q.

Fit was essentially designed the same as the Yaris: very-basic mechanics, low profit yield, and hope not many use up the warranty.

Can't say the same about the Aveo/Wave...

On topic:

A transmission should not pop out of gear. You are driving in the correct fashion, utilizing the transmission to hold your vehicle's speed on a slope.

Last edited:
In response to:
Poster: Quest

Before we jump into conclusions,

(1) How do you do shifting? Do you depress your clutch pedal all the way to the floor (when the pedal actually hits the floor/firewall end) before you shift it in/out of gear?

Absolutely.

(2) Does this problem happen to 2/3/4/5 gears or reverse?

No, with this transmission it only jumps out of first.
With the first transmission it was first and second.

(3) do you have a tendency of laying your hand on the gear shifter while you are in gear?

Nope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back