Prepping car for move

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Daughter is graduating from collage in May and will be moving from Fl to Huston Texas for 2 years. It is are 95 Accord Ex 2.2 w/ 134k. We bought it 14 months ago, other than routine Maintenance, air filter, plugs, oil changes and Drain & fills of the ATF and a new Radiator the car has been perfect. Now i don't have any service history previous to me buying it but from what i can see the car was serviced at a Honda Dealer it had a genuine Honda Oil filter on it, a Honda Air filter, the plug wires were replaced w/ genuine Honda wires circa 2008. Now i plan to Change the Timing Belt/Water Pump,Coolant, Cap, Rotor,Plugs, Air Filter, Belts,Hoses,Front & Rear Brake Pads,Brake Hydraulic Hoses & Brake Fluid. Clean Throttle Body, EGR Valve & passages. It has brand new tires just put on 3 months ago. Is there anything I have forgot that should be replaced as to make the car as reliable as possible?

Thank You.
Joe

Replace the Sears DieHard Battery

Last edited:
Looks like a fairly comprehensive list. Only thing I see as another thing to consider is power steering fluid service.

If you get your list accomplished, think it should be good to go.

Give it a full inspection..bearings, suspension parts etc..id be worried about those things if the other majors (engine, and transmission) are okay. Sounds like you have a good list!!

A good car of a good generation.
I think you've got the bases covered.
Judging by your signature, you must have a pretty good handle on Honda maintenance and repair.
I sold a similar car (a '97 Accord LX coupe 5spd) last fall with 207K.
The car was pretty trouble free over the 140K+ we used it and it's still going strong with the buyer.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
A good car of a good generation.
I think you've got the bases covered.
Judging by your signature, you must have a pretty good handle on Honda maintenance and repair.
I sold a similar car (a '97 Accord LX coupe 5spd) last fall with 207K.
The car was pretty trouble free over the 140K+ we used it and it's still going strong with the buyer.

Thanks, i feel very comfortable working on Honda's owned 8 of them. Done a few t-belts/water pumps.This car is a replacement for the 95 Accord that got totaled w/ 272k on it,it was the best car, original engine and trans never gave me a problem in the 4+ years i owned it.

I dont see how you can go wrong with that list. THough FL doesnt get salt, it does get very hot, very wet and Im sure plenty of UV reflects back up. Smart to do the brake hoses, but I might consider swapping the calipers, at least the front ones, too. Or preferably, DIY rebuild.

One thing that's often overlooked is the pcv valve. I'd add that to the list so it doesn't start guzzling oil.

You are ahead of the game compared to most owners out there that abuse their vehicles (out of ignorance).

Don't forget to have your daughter stop by the tire shop for the first tire rotation (front to back - diagonally) and check the air pressure just before the trip. Also have them ensure the valve stem guts are tight.

How about buying your daughter a towing plan with someone like AAA? It sure will come in handy when something does go wrong at the absolute worst time.

Do the list but give her a month of shakedown cruises around town before leaving.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
One thing that's often overlooked is the pcv valve. I'd add that to the list so it doesn't start guzzling oil.

Thanks I will.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
How about buying your daughter a towing plan with someone like AAA? It sure will come in handy when something does go wrong at the absolute worst time.

I was considering that.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Do the list but give her a month of shakedown cruises around town before leaving.

I have a month from the time she graduates till the time she has to be in Huston. I figured it will take 2 days to complete the work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back