sound maintenance plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guy I ride to work with, he has a 1992 single cab C1500 chevy with the 305, 229,326 miles as of today. I noticed it needs some attention, and offered to do the work for him. Truck is driven 50 miles a day, 25 one way, 14 days a month( we work a 7&7 schedule). he bought it about 2 years ago with 200k on it. It leaks oil, never any on the ground but alot on the pan, it also burns a tad bit, constant light haze of smoke when cold and on hard aceleration only, think the cat might be bad also but it runs great and gets decent mpg, have to add oil every few days.(leaks more than it burns). I was thinking an oil change with Maxlife 10W40, and a Fram TG filter, a new air filter, a new thermostat ( i drive the truck for him to work,he doesnt care to drive, temp gauge always climbs but then falls back to normal, every single day without fail lol, thinking thermostat is sticking). A new PCV valve to see if it helps with oil consumption (thinking it could be valve stem seals) Were also going to install a new fuel filter and put new fluid in the rearend. coolant was just flushed and tranny fluid was changed when he bought it. Sounds like a good plan?

Last edited:
Seen both of you depend on his truck to get to work. Go for it!

Just print a 410 page disclaimer he has to sign that you are not responsible if the truck goes kaput and it has detailed engineering drawings showing him that something like changing the oil in his truck can not cause a head casket failure that occurred before he bought his truck.

If you are adding oil every few days that seems like it could be a bad seal? Almost every chevy ive had has had some oil on bottom of the pan. Not leaking but just there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back