Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT.

Posted by: wtd

Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/04/14 01:52 PM

I bought my Mustang in August of this year. Shortly afterward, I notice what looks like a line on the display. It has since turned into this:

I took it to Ford and they denied me warranty because they say the screen has been damaged. I took it to a different dealer and was denied again for the same reasons. Ford CS was also involved in this whole thing. I have never damaged this screen and it [censored] me off that I will have to pay for something that is a defect. There are others on some of the Mustang forums that have the same problem.

Have any of you had this kind of problem on your Ford product? If so, did you get it resolved? Thanks.

Wayne
Posted by: antiqueshell

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/04/14 02:08 PM

Make sure you post this thread over on VWVortex The Car Lounge, there are some Ford people over there that might be able to help you out with this.

Link

http://forums.vwvortex.com/forumdisplay.php?1-The-Car-Lounge
Posted by: laserred96gt

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/04/14 02:08 PM

The screen seems recessed, its not like could have accidentally bumped it, that's a bunch of boloney from the dealership.
Posted by: demarpaint

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/04/14 02:22 PM

Originally Posted By: laserred96gt
The screen seems recessed, its not like could have accidentally bumped it, that's a bunch of boloney from the dealership.

+1 I also believe that the first dealer you took it to made some kind of notation of a refused warranty claim that might possibly be a red flag for any other dealerships you bring it to. Lousy CS! I'd make sure if it isn't resolved in a timely manor you make it a point to spread it all over the WWW. and anywhere else you can.
Posted by: DuckRyder

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/04/14 02:28 PM

Originally Posted By: laserred96gt

Agreed...
Posted by: Donald

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/04/14 02:33 PM

Ask when the regional Ford guy will be at the dealership and that you want to speak to him personally.
Posted by: Merkava_4

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/04/14 02:33 PM

If the dealer did replace it for you, then there's no telling what damage they'd do while replacing it. Dashboard work can be real messy in the wrong hands.
Posted by: theKman

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/04/14 02:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Donald
Ask when the regional Ford guy will be at the dealership and that you want to speak to him personally.

+1 This is what you need to do.

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/04/14 02:37 PM

The screen is recessed and I brought up that point with the first dealership. I told them that if the screen had been hit, it would have probably damaged the surrounding plastic. The initial line started in the lower left bottom corner. The cold weather has really caused this to spread quickly. The screen is actually worse than when this photo was taken.

Another Ford CS rep has told me to take it to a third dealership and don't tell them that I brought it in two times previously. She says that they don't keep record of previous warranty attempts. Here are a few other photos of this problem.

Wayne
Posted by: FL_Rob

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/04/14 02:41 PM

This is all over the Mustang forums.

SSM 44226 - Effective Oct 10 2013 Multi Vehicle Line - Front Display Interface Module (FDIM) Display Distortion

Not a TSB, but Ford definitely knows about this.Trying to avoid a recall by denial and obfuscation.Some 'Stang owners are cutting their own 1/16 thick glass replacements, DIY.

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/04/14 02:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Donald

I was going to try that also but the ford CS guy I have been dealing with on the phone is assigned to this region so I don't know if someone else comes down to the actual dealerships or it's the guy I have been talking to. The service advisor at the second dealership knew the Ford CS guy I had been dealing with.

Wayne

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/04/14 02:52 PM

Originally Posted By: FL_Rob

SSM 44226 - Effective Oct 10 2013 Multi Vehicle Line - Front Display Interface Module (FDIM) Display Distortion

Not a TSB, but Ford definitely knows about this.Trying to avoid a recall by denial and obfuscation.Some 'Stang owners are cutting their own 1/16 thick glass replacements, DIY.

And apparently Deysha AKA FordService is who you need to get ahold of...

Quote:
as soon as I MENTIONED Deysha the service manager began to make my life a lot easier. Thanks Deysha

shocked

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/04/14 02:53 PM

I'm glad that you posted that SSM # because I was trying to find it out on one of the Mustang forums but no one seemed to know. At some point I'm going to pull it out and see what they say. Some people are getting this fixed under warranty.

I may end up doing the DIY fix but I want to see if I can hold Ford accountable first since I know for a fact I have not caused this damage. Supposedly the entire front plastic faceplate which includes that screen is only about $110 retail so at Ford's cost it is not that much for them to pay.

Wayne

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/04/14 02:55 PM

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder

And apparently Deysha AKA FordService is who you need to get ahold of...

Quote:
as soon as I MENTIONED Deysha the service manager began to make my life a lot easier. Thanks Deysha

shocked

She is the one who first hooked me up with the Ford CS guy for my region and who has suggested I take it to a third dealer. Other than that, she has not been able to help.

Wayne

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/04/14 03:00 PM

Interesting...

Let us know how it works out, i guess I'd probably try the 3rd dealer and mention the SSM...

If they still refuse to fix it I think I would have to make a very large stink ...
Posted by: NHGUY

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/04/14 03:21 PM

Remind them of the Edsel debacle,that should be payback for them not helping out....
Posted by: Rolla07

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/04/14 03:35 PM

Id contact corporate and tell them dealers are refusing it. Advise its on the internet and others have this issue.. i wouldnt take no for an answer..good luck
Posted by: ram_man

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/04/14 04:17 PM

Agreed^ I if I had to i would park next to the dealer with a sign and let everyone know.In my families experience ford is not warranty friendly.

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/04/14 04:27 PM

@wtd:

Did you take my advice and register on vwvortex forums and post your problem in The Car Lounge forum?

There is a guy there his screen name is barry2952 and it appears he has some close connections in corporate and should be able to pull a few strings. Try contacting him over on that forum.

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/04/14 04:41 PM

I actually took the car to the first dealer twice after it got worse from the first time I took it there. The service manager again refused to warranty it saying it was his opinion that something damaged it and that he was not going to change his mind. That is when I took it to the second dealer. I sent the second service advisor links to some of the threads on the Mustang forums about this issue. He seemed to be on my side but said there was nothing he could do when Ford denied it again.

If I do take it in for a third time and if I get denied again, I'm really not sure what I can do to get this fixed. I'm not going to hire an attorney for a $110 part and I'm not buying a new front panel as I refuse to pay that much for that part and I don't feel as if I should.

On one of the Mustang forums, a person did get it fixed under warranty the first time but her replacement screen is doing the same thing and she is getting denied this time around. Until Ford gets serious about fixing this, I'm sure we are going to get the same [censored] part that we currently have.

I have heard from others and on the net that Ford does seem to do all it can to get out of doing warranty repairs so I'm not holding my breath that I'm going to get this fixed.

I'm going to have to wait until the weather gets better since the Mustang is at another location in the garage so I don't even have it at the moment. I will let everyone know what I decide to do and if Ford ends up stepping up to the plate.

Wayne

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/04/14 04:44 PM

I actually took the car to the first dealer twice after it got worse from the first time I took it there. The service manager again refused to warranty it saying it was his opinion that something damaged it and that he was not going to change his mind. That is when I took it to the second dealer. I sent the second service advisor links to some of the threads on the Mustang forums about this issue. He seemed to be on my side but said there was nothing he could do when Ford denied it again.

If I do take it in for a third time and if I get denied again, I'm really not sure what I can do to get this fixed. I'm not going to hire an attorney for a $110 part and I'm not buying a new front panel as I refuse to pay that much for that part and I don't feel as if I should.

On one of the Mustang forums, a person did get it fixed under warranty the first time but her replacement screen is doing the same thing and she is getting denied this time around. Until Ford gets serious about fixing this, I'm sure we are going to get the same [censored] part that we currently have.

I have heard from others and on the net that Ford does seem to do all it can to get out of doing warranty repairs so I'm not holding my breath that I'm going to get this fixed.

Both dealers took pictures of the screen and sent it to ford. I also provided the pictures I posted here and they also supposedly were sent in since they were better than what the dealer took.

I'm going to have to wait until the weather gets better since the Mustang is at another location in the garage so I don't even have it at the moment. I will let everyone know what I decide to do and if Ford ends up stepping up to the plate.

Wayne

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/04/14 04:45 PM

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
@wtd:

Did you take my advice and register on vwvortex forums and post your problem in The Car Lounge forum?

There is a guy there his screen name is barry2952 and it appears he has some close connections in corporate and should be able to pull a few strings. Try contacting him over on that forum.

Not yet but I will. Thanks for the info.

Wayne
Posted by: mikefxu

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/04/14 04:55 PM

Should have stayed with GM. Just tell them that this is the first and last Ford you are buying.

My uncle was a die hard Ford diesel guy but after all the issues (dealer) he switch to GM.

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/04/14 05:05 PM

Is the lens scratched, or is there an actual problem with the display?

I never could figure that out from the opening post.
Posted by: hattaresguy

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/04/14 05:06 PM

Great customer service their, I'd trade the car in and send Ford HQ a nice letter stating why you chose to dump their cars.

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/04/14 05:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

This is not the actual screen that is on the radio but one that is in front of the radio. It is built into the plastic face that houses the controls for the radio as well as the heating/air.

I'm not sure what is going on with the screen. If you run a thumbnail over the damaged areas, you can feel it. It is hard to tell from the pictures but it almost looks like the screen is shattering. The cold weather has really made the damage spread.

Like a said earlier, this thing started out with a little line in the lower left corner of the screen and has spread to what you see now. It has actually gotten worse since these pictures were taken but I have not taken any new ones since the car is not stored where I'm living and I forget to bring the camera.

I'm not to sure Ford would care if I traded the car in since they already have my money and I doubt they care if I buy anything else from them in the future. I've always been a GM guy and this is my first new Ford. So far I'm not impressed with their CS or how they handle warranty claims. Probably will be my last Ford.

Wayne
Posted by: Trav

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/04/14 05:32 PM

Originally Posted By: wtd

I know nothing about this issue but I do know when my dads Ranger frame broke in 4 places just out of the Warranty period Ford blamed NE winters and road salt and blew him off like a bad habit.

They knew that if it broke just outside warranty it the frame was so badly rotted and on the verge well within warranty but they could care less, they were in the clear.
I owned a few Fords but will never buy another, this was the final staple holding the wallet closed.
Posted by: SHOZ

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/04/14 05:44 PM

I use to be a Ford man all my life. Bought a '97 Taurus SHO with a V8 Yamaha/Ford motor. They were all defective (96-99)as the cams would break loose from the swedged gear. Spun and trashed the valves.

Some failed before they got to the dealers. Ford quit making parts, refused responsibility unless it was still under warranty. Charged outrageous prices for the dwindling parts that were out there. There was a aftermarket solution of welding the cams to the gear while still in the car.

There was a futile class action suit but Ford only made 20k or so of the cars and just ignored the issue.

I doubt if I would ever buy another Ford.
Posted by: Kruse

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/04/14 05:56 PM

I'm going to predict that Dorman will come out with a successful replacement before Ford will.
Posted by: crazyoildude

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/04/14 06:16 PM

wayne i dont know the laws in your state but i would contact the largest lemon law attorney in your area.. We had a situation with a neighbor here in NJ that had something like that happen he contacted the lawyer went to court (did not cost him 1 penny) and the verdict was they had to replace his car! instead of a 2009 nissan he got a brand new 2011 and it cost him nothing not a dime.. 30 minutes in court and he just had to say his name the Lawyers did all the talking.
Dont play their game let them play yours and laugh at them. I had a lemon law case a couple of years ago because the stealers lied and lied and i won also. Please dont let them push you around! The larger lemon law firms have their own mechanics that have certifications that speak very loudly and the judges listen because they are that good!
Posted by: CHARLIEBRONSON21

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/04/14 06:25 PM

All I see is blonde, brunette, redhead...
Posted by: OVERKILL

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/04/14 06:33 PM

Major pee-off. Reminds me of the dead pixel cluster issue that BMW had with the E39. However BMW did extended warranty on those parts and were replacing them long after the warranty on the cars expired. A much better approach IMHO.
Posted by: JHZR2

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/04/14 06:41 PM

Sorry to see this. Honestly on first glance it does look like damage, because it looks like something hit the screen and busted the LCD, causing the fluid to run.

Youre saying that is not the case, and it appears to be common, so Im not trying to blame... But playing devil's advocate for the dealer. It looks that way.

Since its not, you need to be smart and tenacious. Id definitely go to the next dealership, and at that point, if all have failed, go back and really take it up with the dealer that you bought the car from.

Keep escalating, keep pushing. At some point it may not be worth your time, but its all you can do.

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/04/14 07:00 PM

This is not the actual screen that is on the radio but one that is in front of the radio. It is built into the plastic face that houses the controls for the radio as well as the heating/air.

I'm not sure what is going on with the screen. If you run a thumbnail over the damaged areas, you can feel it. It is hard to tell from the pictures but it almost looks like the screen is shattering. The cold weather has really made the damage spread.

Like a said earlier, this thing started out with a little line in the lower left corner of the screen and has spread to what you see now. It has actually gotten worse since these pictures were taken but I have not taken any new ones since the car is not stored where I'm living and I forget to bring the camera.

I'm not to sure Ford would care if I traded the car in since they already have my money and I doubt they care if I buy anything else from them in the future. I've always been a GM guy and this is my first new Ford. So far I'm not impressed with their CS or how they handle warranty claims. Probably will be my last Ford.

Wayne

So basically it's acting like a small crack that spreads out across the whole windshield over time, correct?

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/04/14 07:48 PM

This is not an LCD screen. It is a smoked plastic of some type. It has been said that some type of delamination is taking place. The cold weather seems to really affect this. Mine didn't start getting real bad until the weather started turning cold.

I won't be taking it back to the dealer I bought it from since me and the Sales manager got into it and he threw me off the lot. I don't trust them to work on it so that is out. That whole ordeal was over them repairing the paint on my rear bumper that they damaged the day I bought the car but that is a whole other story.

Wayne

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/04/14 07:49 PM

Wayne

So basically it's acting like a small crack that spreads out across the whole windshield over time, correct?

Yes.

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/04/14 08:00 PM

I do want to say that the two dealerships that I have taken it to are not the selling dealer for the reason I stated above. Both times I was denied Warranty for this problem, the suggestion was to take it back to the selling dealer and maybe they could pay for it under a CS satisfaction thing. My selling dealer is also 60 miles one way from where I live so it's not very convenient to take it there. Warranty issues can be addressed at any dealer so I shouldn't have to take it to them anyway. With the issues I had with this dealer from the beginning, I highly doubt they will do anything for me and because of some of the things they did, I don't trust them at all.

The dealer should not have to pay for something that is a product defect. I'm not the only person to have this problem so it is not an isolated incident. Ford needs to step up and acknowledge that maybe they got some bad parts and that they need to fix this. I bought this car with 38 miles on it and should not have to be fighting to get this fixed.

Wayne

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/04/14 08:18 PM

Yes.

It's made out of plastic, correct? That's the first time I've ever heard of plastic acting that way.
Posted by: Vikas

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/04/14 10:19 PM

If Ford corporate is doing this, they deserve to be taken to cleaners. Just when you think domestic manufacturers are gaining some traction, they start showing their true colors.
Posted by: bdcardinal

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/04/14 11:03 PM

I do want to say that the two dealerships that I have taken it to are not the selling dealer for the reason I stated above. Both times I was denied Warranty for this problem, the suggestion was to take it back to the selling dealer and maybe they could pay for it under a CS satisfaction thing. My selling dealer is also 60 miles one way from where I live so it's not very convenient to take it there. Warranty issues can be addressed at any dealer so I shouldn't have to take it to them anyway. With the issues I had with this dealer from the beginning, I highly doubt they will do anything for me and because of some of the things they did, I don't trust them at all.

The dealer should not have to pay for something that is a product defect. I'm not the only person to have this problem so it is not an isolated incident. Ford needs to step up and acknowledge that maybe they got some bad parts and that they need to fix this. I bought this car with 38 miles on it and should not have to be fighting to get this fixed.

Wayne

Have they flat out denied you, or did they take pictures and submit them to Ford? If they take the pictures and Ford denies it, the dealer's hands are tied.

FWIW I have the huge NAV screen on mine and no issues whatsoever. Totally random question, does your instrument cluster rattle like maracas over undulations in the road? Annoyed at that on my car and will have it fixed once my ESP goes into effect and I get my $75 a day free rental car.

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/05/14 05:28 AM

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

Wayne

Have they flat out denied you, or did they take pictures and submit them to Ford? If they take the pictures and Ford denies it, the dealer's hands are tied.

FWIW I have the huge NAV screen on mine and no issues whatsoever. Totally random question, does your instrument cluster rattle like maracas over undulations in the road? Annoyed at that on my car and will have it fixed once my ESP goes into effect and I get my $75 a day free rental car.

Both dealers supposedly sent pictures but when I talked to my regional Ford CS guy the first time, he couldn't find where any pictures were sent. At the second dealer, they told me that their system was down and that they couldn't send pictures. That went on for over a month until I called the regional Ford CS rep again and asked if they had heard anything or if there was a problem with their system in regards to sending pictures. I was denied warranty for the second time the next day.

So I cannot say for sure if pictures were actually sent each time. They were taken at both dealerships and I sent the second dealer some of the ones I took at night which are some of the ones I have posted here. They turned out better because of no outside glare.

I do know that the first dealer said that he believed that the screen had been damaged and it probably wouldn't be covered. The regional Ford CS rep did say that they had to go with what the dealer said since he was the one who actually looks at the car.

To my knowledge, none of the Nav screen cars have this problem.

I have no rattles in my instrument cluster as of now but I only have about 4,200 miles on the car so far.

As far as what the screen is actually made of, I can't be sure since I'm not an expert in this. It appears to be plastic and from reading about the DIY repair that some guys on the Mustang forums are doing, those guys seem to think it's some kind of thin plastic that is tinted. It is only about 1/16" thick. They seem to think some type of delamination of the tint and plastic is taking place.

Wayne
Posted by: SteveSRT8

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/05/14 06:12 AM

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Major pee-off. Reminds me of the dead pixel cluster issue that BMW had with the E39. However BMW did extended warranty on those parts and were replacing them long after the warranty on the cars expired. A much better approach IMHO.

And another great example of customer service. A little bit goes a LONG way in situations like this.

IMO this is typical stealership stuff. The mfgrs are very tight about warranted claims and have intimidated the dealers into being squeamish over LITTLE [censored] like this!
Posted by: itguy08

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/05/14 07:22 AM

Definitely raise a stink cause it should be covered. Pictures should have been taken of the damage, the dash, interior, etc.

When the taillights started peeling on my SHO (common issue with the 10-12's) each time (I'm on my 3rd, which are holding up well), the dealer sent pics to Ford and they replaced them. Even at just under 36k. Now at 69k the last set is fine.

I even had a strange whistling noise at highway speeds and the dealer's body guy saw a piece of molding around the mirror was just slightly bent out (I never noticed it) and they took Pics and Ford paid for that too. I was there when they took pics and they took them of the trim, the mirror, the door, and the car. The service manager (who took the pics) explained to me that they want to paint the picture that the car is in great shape except for this piece and that no other damage caused it.

So I think the key is having a good dealer. The one I use is quite good and it probably helps I have my cars serviced there because the prices are in line and I get a ride to/from work.

Another avenue would be to escalate and force them into arbitration or sue them in small claims court. Depending on how you bought your car (I did X-plan and have to arbitrate) you may be forced to arbitration. But a "3-rd party" could clearly see there is no damage to the screen from outside forces.

I'd try to get ahold of the zone/local rep and tell them you want to meet with them and have them look at the car. If they won't, go up the food chain.

I'm a Ford guy and stuff like this is really poor customer service. I get that people have tried to game the system with broken trim and junk like that trying to claim warranty. But it seems that anyone can see you didn't damage it and that it is simply a defective piece of plastic.
Posted by: Trav

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/05/14 09:06 AM

Could it be some sort of anti reflective film that is delaminating ?
Posted by: JHZR2

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/05/14 09:41 AM

So the screen works 100%, its just that the outer glass refracts light now to make those colors and lines?

It looked to me like when an LCD breaks/leaks/fails.

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/05/14 10:06 AM

The second dealer took pictures of the damage as well as the entire car, inside and out, as well as the tag on the inner door.

You can still see the radio display behind this screen at this point but it's not a clear picture behind the damaged areas. I've seen some pictures of other people's Mustangs on the internet where it got so bad that you could not hardly see the radio display behind the screen. Like I said before, mine has gotten a lot worse since the cold weather has hit and I'm sure it will continue to get worse as time goes on until you won't be able to see anything behind it.

The problem with this situation is that the people at the dealer level who are giving their opinion on what caused this problem are not plastic experts so they are not giving an expert opinion when they send their opinion on up to Ford.

The problem at Ford is that they are looking at photo's that don't tell them anything other than that the screen looks damaged. You cannot make an informed decision from looking at the damage from a picture that is not a very good picture to begin with on what caused that damage. So, they are going to go with the opinion of the person that actually looked at the screen. Ford should contact the company that makes the screen for them and have them look at a damaged one to see what caused it.

No one seems to be using any common sense here. The screen is not that tall and for something to hit the screen and damage it and not damage the surrounding faceplate plastic would be highly unlikly especially since this problem started in the lower left corner of the screen. When I brought this up to the original dealer I took it to, he didn't have an answer other than to tell me it was his opinion that something damaged it and that if he did a warranty claim on it, that Ford would make him pay for it.

Like I mentioned before, I'm not totally sure what the screen is made of or how they tint it to get the smoked look so I can't say how or why it's doing what it's doing.

Wayne

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/05/14 12:29 PM

The point is a manufacturer who considers customer service his priority would have replaced it immediately with no questions asked. For crying out loud, the car is brand new. Even a Walmart type of B&M store would take a broken thing back without making a scene if it is new.

There is really no excuse whatsoever for either the dealer or the manufacturer not to immediately step up to the plate. The cost to swap that part out can't be more than a hundred or so. It is not like a blown drive-train which needs to be replaced.

Do you think a Lexus dealer would have given him this grief?

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/05/14 01:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Vikas
The point is a manufacturer who considers customer service his priority would have replaced it immediately with no questions asked. For crying out loud, the car is brand new. Even a Walmart type of B&M store would take a broken thing back without making a scene if it is new.

There is really no excuse whatsoever for either the dealer or the manufacturer not to immediately step up to the plate. The cost to swap that part out can't be more than a hundred or so. It is not like a blown drive-train which needs to be replaced.

Do you think a Lexus dealer would have given him this grief?

I agree. Obviously Ford is not thinking of Customer service in this case and like I posted earlier, the dealer told me the new front panel that includes the screen is only $110 so I'm sure Ford's cost is a lot less than that.

What sucks is that some people are getting this fixed under warranty while others are not. Obviously what the dealer says has a lot to do with it.

The second dealer told me he wasn't going to give an opinion and just let Ford make their own determination so that they wouldn't be influenced by his opinion. Obviously that didn't work either.

I think I'm going to contact Ford again and see what happens.

Wayne
Posted by: Tosh

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/05/14 01:53 PM

I think I'm going to contact Ford again and see what happens.

Make sure to direct them to this thread!

How many thousands of us BITOGers are reading about your 2014 Ford experience and swearing off a new Ford forever?
Posted by: Tosh

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/05/14 03:09 PM

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-mustang-talk/301004-replace-your-radio-display-glass.html

According to the above, it appears this plastic lens problem has been going on since at least the 2011 Mustang, so not a new problem by far. If this is the 4th model year with the same problem, then you are witnessing first-hand Ford's commitment to product improvement and customer loyalty

You should just take it on the chin as part of the 'Ford Ownership Experience' and fix it yourself with a piece of glass.
Posted by: crazyoildude

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/05/14 03:20 PM

like i said...

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/05/14 04:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Tosh
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-mustang-talk/301004-replace-your-radio-display-glass.html

According to the above, it appears this plastic lens problem has been going on since at least the 2011 Mustang, so not a new problem by far. If this is the 4th model year with the same problem, then you are witnessing first-hand Ford's commitment to product improvement and customer loyalty

You should just take it on the chin as part of the 'Ford Ownership Experience' and fix it yourself with a piece of glass.

That is SHODDY practice.

I would write to Bill Ford about the treatment you have received, send the letter return receipt requested, to be opened only by Mr. Ford.

Seriously.
Posted by: HM12460

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/05/14 06:01 PM

Stuff like this amazes me. You'd think Ford and the dealer would replace it if for no other reason than to satisfy a customer that bought an expensive car. They are more interested in cross threading a customer than building a lasting relationship with said customer. Yeah, I'd be royally pi$$ed and make more noise than a jack a$$ in a tin barn.

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/05/14 06:09 PM

I read that thread on that forum after my screen started doing the same thing and is what I will do if I can't get Ford to replace mine. I'm going to use a piece of tinted Acrylic from a website a guy on one of the forums gave me that custom cuts this acrylic to your specs. I already have the piece but I'm unsure if it will work for sure since this company would only cut the piece 1/8" thick which is twice as thick as the original piece. If it doesn't work, I'm only out $24.

Supposedly the screen is held in place with a black tar like adhesive and there will supposedly be enough left over after taking off the original to install the new piece. Looking on youtube, it doesn't look like it takes very much time to take off the front plastic face piece. I also don't have the proper nylon pry tools to remove the bezel around the shifter so I don't damage it and with it being so cold, I wouldn't want to mess with it right now because of the risk of breaking all of the plastic pieces that need to be removed to fix this. At least if the dealer breaks anything, they have to pay to repair it.

I could fix this myself and not deal anymore with the hassle but I'm still trying to get Ford to replace it because of the principle of the situation and the fact that this problem is not new and it should be fixed under warranty.

Wayne

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/05/14 06:28 PM

Just so you guys can see how fast this problem spread, here is the first picture I took a few days after I took the car in to the dealer for the first time. The day that I took the car in, was the first time I had driven or been in the car for about a month and it wasn't like this the last time I drove it. The damage you see in the lower left corner is the only damage at this point. It had not spread to the rest of the screen.

Here are some not very good pictures taken 11 days later where you can see it has spread to the other side of the screen.

Wayne

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/05/14 06:41 PM

Let's put it in perspective. Ford sells about 80k Mustangs a year, so for 4 years, that's 320,000 Mustangs out there.

If 1% of them experience this issue, that's 3,200 of them. And then there's the going back to the supplier, testing a new part, getting it into the channel, etc. Like I said before, I went through 3 sets of tail lights on my 2010 SHO before they got the chrome right. And I notice that in the 2013 refresh they ditched the chrome covered plastic....

What is appalling is Ford's handling of this. It should be done as there is no evidence of foul play. As a fan of their products and also a shareholder, I think it is poor management. I hope the OP gets things straightened out.

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/05/14 06:59 PM

I forgot to mention that the 11/22/13 date is the date that I took it back to the first dealer after I discovered that it had spread. I had not been in the car during those 11 days and was amazed at how much it had spread.

I also took the car to the second dealer on the 11/22 date. When I took the pictures on 11/24 that I first posted, I could not believe how much it had spread in just two days. I will say that the temps around here during that time were very cold.

As I mentioned before, the car is currently stored about 30 miles from where I'm living and when I went there the other day to check on the house, I looked at the screen and it looks like it's worse than it was on the 11/24 date. The next time I go, I will try and get some new pictures.

Wayne

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/05/14 07:20 PM

I just found another thread on the same forum that Tosh posted a link to that talks about this issue and there are some good picture of other people's screens and they talk about how the cold weather has really caused this to spread. A couple of people on there describe the damage as looking "etched" and I think that describes the damage pretty accurately. It's kind of hard to really get a sense of what this looks like from pictures.

I will mention that my screen has never been cleaned with any type of chemical. I did gently wipe it with a dry microfiber towel to get off the finger prints from when the dealer service guy was running his fingers on it before I took pictures.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-mustang-talk/603234-cracked-radio-display-screen.html

Wayne

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/05/14 07:59 PM

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

That is SHODDY practice.

I would write to Bill Ford about the treatment you have received, send the letter return receipt requested, to be opened only by Mr. Ford.

Seriously.

That won't do much, he isn't the CEO, Alan Mulally is the CEO.

I have seen this before actually, there is a protective film that the customer is supposed to remove when they take delivery of the car. 9/10 times that happens from the customer not removing it and it is not covered under warranty.

Either way, make a stink, keep coming back until they fix it. When it comes to dealers, long time customers get helped the easiest, but people that make a stink get taken care of to make them go away.

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/05/14 08:16 PM

I have seen this before actually, there is a protective film that the customer is supposed to remove when they take delivery of the car. 9/10 times that happens from the customer not removing it and it is not covered under warranty.
Can you explain how leaving the protective film on would void the warranty? Besides if it really needed to be removed, then it should be the part of the new car delivery preparation.

Either way you slice it, this stinks to high heaven.
Posted by: Cujet

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/05/14 08:33 PM

You have a strong case. Keep going back until you are satisfied.

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/05/14 08:34 PM

Can you explain how leaving the protective film on would void the warranty? Besides if it really needed to be removed, then it should be the part of the new car delivery preparation.

Either way you slice it, this stinks to high heaven.

The adhesive on the film strip messes up the screen from the heat. They don't want it taken off until the customer gets it to protect the screen from people breaking it. Really a lose-lose situation any way you cut it.

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/05/14 08:58 PM

I don't think the protective film has anything to do with it. Mine was taken off the day I bought the car.

Wayne
Posted by: yonyon

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/05/14 09:07 PM

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal emphasis added

The adhesive on the film strip messes up the screen from the heat. They don't want it taken off until the customer gets it to protect the screen from people breaking it. Really a lose-lose situation any way you cut it.

...and nobody at Ford could figure out how to make a plastic film stick to the screen without adhesive? Nope. Maybe they didn't think anyone buying these cars would fail to remove the film? That's hard to believe considering how many cars they sell in the US.

If the adhesive is what causes the damage then they failed to test it properly. This sounds like a minor oversight that caused a problem and they need to fix it.

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/06/14 04:18 AM

They used an adhesive on the film that's incompatible with the plastic lens; it all makes sense now.
Posted by: Huie83

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/06/14 08:08 AM

Originally Posted By: itguy08

Let's put it in perspective. Ford sells about 80k Mustangs a year, so for 4 years, that's 320,000 Mustangs out there.

If 1% of them experience this issue, that's 3,200 of them. And then there's the going back to the supplier, testing a new part, getting it into the channel, etc. Like I said before, I went through 3 sets of tail lights on my 2010 SHO before they got the chrome right. And I notice that in the 2013 refresh they ditched the chrome covered plastic....

What is appalling is Ford's handling of this. It should be done as there is no evidence of foul play. As a fan of their products and also a shareholder, I think it is poor management. I hope the OP gets things straightened out.

I like the use of words here, appalling is a great way to sum up my first Ford vehicle ownership experience too. I have posted on here about the QC issues on my 2013 Explorer and after seeing this am blown away on the lack on control they have over their products and the fact they don't actually fix the production issues on their vehicles! I don't know if they are growing too fast or what the deal is but they better get their act together. They may sell a boat load of vehicles now because they are cool looking, but in a few years when the owners have to deal with all the issues they are going to lose a lot of customers!

If you ever browse the Explorer forums you'll find trends of the same issues the whole production run (3+ years) that have been brought to Ford's attention and never fixed... I know when I go shopping in a few years for a new vehicle I'll be very hesitant to look at Ford again. Love the look and function but get [censored] when I look at the shoddy build quality. Not trying to bash Ford either, their vehicles are cutting edge, they just need to stand behind them and own up to the issues instead of hiding them until the next model comes out or whatever.
Posted by: doitmyself

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/06/14 11:54 AM

Unfortunately, everyone bashing Ford here needs to realized that all of the manufacturers do this kind of stuff at one time or another. I won't bother to list dozens of examples. Just Google "insert brand here...problems". Some people have great success with Chrysler products and others have horrendous experience with the legendary Honda products. It's reality.

OP, you should ask the Moderators to change your thread title to "Ford Mustang radio display problems" so that Google searches will get this discussion recognized also.

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/06/14 12:00 PM

Every new car goes through the dealer prep and he gets paid for it. Removing that protective layer is part of that dealer prep. Why should customer is on the hook for removing it?

In another unrelated topic, somebody (rjundi?) mentioned that his Acura dealer replaced power steering pump on 2007 vehicle at 100K when customer complained about hard steering in cold weather.

Contrast these two situations and you know why there is a subset of customers who would never give Ford a chance.

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/06/14 01:06 PM

Every new car goes through the dealer prep and he gets paid for it. Removing that protective layer is part of that dealer prep. Why should customer is on the hook for removing it?

Not all protective parts are removed on a PDI. Some models have covers over the wheels to keep the rotors from rusting while the car sits on the lot. In reality the detail guy should remove them while the customer is in finance and the car is prepped for delivery.

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/06/14 01:21 PM

In another unrelated topic, somebody (rjundi?) mentioned that his Acura dealer replaced power steering pump on 2007 vehicle at 100K when customer complained about hard steering in cold weather.

Contrast these two situations and you know why there is a subset of customers who would never give Ford a chance.

You didn't follow my Google advice above:

Check out these "happy" Acura owners. Many of the posts are about Acura becoming "Americanized" regarding it's handling of warranty issues:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/acura.html

"After going round and round, I gave up and told her that this is ridiculous that Acura does not stand by their vehicles and this is the last Acura/Honda I will buy. Her only comment was that that is certainly my choice and I am welcome to do that. So anyone considering an Acura (owned by Honda), there you go. Buy their car and you are on your own."

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/06/14 01:35 PM

I gave Ford a chance and they pretty much failed, I have a long list of issues within the first 6 mos and 7K miles of ownership, 2 being pretty serious. I HATE HATE HATE having to bring new vehicles in for issues that should have been caught in it's QC checks before leaving the factory.

I guess I am just in shock coming from a Hyundai that gave me zero issues in 4 years and 120K miles. My VW Jetta before that only gave me one issue and service was awesome. They took the time to diagnose a very specific transmission issue and fixed it right, no questions asked.

Compare that to my Ford where I get a long line of "unable to duplicate" or "within normal operating spec's" when I bring it in for issues, they just push you off and never actually fix known issues...

Sorry, rant over.

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/06/14 01:44 PM

Hyundai has a lot more hits even than Vikas' Acura anecdote:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/hyundai.htm

"In other words, their 10-yr warranty is just a big fat lie because their claimed "defect component" contains nothing but the engine itself, which almost never gives out at its own. It is unbelievable an engine could give out at such early mileage. They also broke a federal rule and denied my claim just because I had my service done at another service shop. The entire process was full of bad customer service. My family and I were constantly hang up on that we have to rotate the calling. Representatives were rude and apathetic toward our situation. This is honestly the worst company we had to deal with out of my life!"

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/06/14 01:55 PM

That's not a valid complaint.

Their radiator burst taking out the engine. A 8 year old radiator is not covered under the 10 year 100K warranty, only driveline.

Also if they bought it used that warranty drops to 5 years 60K miles, that's not in the details.

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/06/14 02:15 PM

Not all protective parts are removed on a PDI. Some models have covers over the wheels to keep the rotors from rusting while the car sits on the lot. In reality the detail guy should remove them while the customer is in finance and the car is prepped for delivery.

I'm thinking some of the adhesive stays on the lens after the protective cover is removed, and if that's the case, it wouldn't matter when the protective cover was removed, there'd still be enough adhesive left on the lens to ruin it. Just a theory though.
Posted by: Wilhelm_D

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/06/14 02:16 PM

This is a classic example of a consumer who does not "get" what the warranty covers.

The 10 year Hyundai warranty covers the powertrain. If the engine all by itself threw a rod, that would be a warranty claim.

In this case the engine damage was a CONSEQUENCE of a non-warranted failure.

It is very unlikely that the "2006 Hyundai Elantra gave out suddenly with no warning". The sound, the smell of ethylene glycol hitting the hot engine, and no doubt a rough running engine as the cylinder head temperature headed for the great beyond should have tipped the owner to pull over and turn it off.

Way back in the dark ages when I was still in a dealership we used to get these cooling system failures which led to engine and automatic transmission failures when the customer continued to drive the car despite all the evidence that something serious was amiss.
Posted by: Wilhelm_D

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/06/14 02:22 PM

Then it's a failure in dealer prep.

The manufacturer dealer prep allowance is supposed to cover removing all the shipping materials, internal and external, checking fluid levels, and so on.

If there is nothing in the "Welcome to your new Ford" brochure handed to the customer on delivery, and the dealer was supposed to remove as part of pre-delivery, the dealer should be on the hook.

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/06/14 02:23 PM

@ Huie83 and Wilhelm_D:

Good call. There are better examples down the list.

My point is that it is not too hard to determine that ALL of the manufacturers have examples of poor customer response to a problem.

To say you will never buy a certain brand (Ford being bashed in this thread) based on perceived bad customer response will leave you with no manufacturers to buy vehicles from, if a person is sincere about this line of logic.

We are drifting off topic. I wish the OP good luck and I hope he successfully escalates the fight to a satisfactory solution. Sometimes you have to persevere in a very rational way to finally achieve a win:win solution. Even then, sometimes the battle is never won. Such is life.

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/06/14 02:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Wilhelm_D

Then it's a failure in dealer prep.

The manufacturer dealer prep allowance is supposed to cover removing all the shipping materials, internal and external, checking fluid levels, and so on.

If there is nothing in the "Welcome to your new Ford" brochure handed to the customer on delivery, and the dealer was supposed to remove as part of pre-delivery, the dealer should be on the hook.

I had to remove a couple when I took delivery of my '14. One was over the NAV screen and had the warning about not using it while you are driving, another one was over the middle part of the instrument cluster saying to not use the accelerometer or Christmas Tree unless I was on a race track. Basically they leave them on so when the owner removes them they are acknowledging the warning. I seem to remember another one on glovebox saying if I put a kid in the front the airbag would remove their head and put it on the backseat in an accident.

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/06/14 04:54 PM

I removed the protective film on my car the day I bought the car and there was no adhesive left on the screen. It looked totally clean. I would also think that if this was an adhesive issue, all of the cars would be affected since I'm going to guess that all of the Mustangs get this protective film from the factory. All of the ones I looked at had it.

Anyway, whatever is causing this issue should be addressed by Ford since they are the ones sourcing all of the parts and if the adhesive is the cause, it should be a warranty issue and not the owner's responsibility.

Wayne

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/06/14 07:47 PM

I went to check on the car and house today and took two pictures of what the screen looks like now. It has gotten worse since the 11/24 pictures I took.

I also called Ford Customer Service to talk to them about this situation. The lady I talked to was very nice but basically she told me there was nothing that she could do since the regional Ford CS rep had denied my claim. She said she understood where I was coming from and would feel the same if it was her.

She did try calling the regional CS rep as well as the guy at the last dealership that I had dealt with but neither one was in.

I told her about the SSM that Ford had put out as well as telling her about the Ford CS woman that monitors all of the Mustang forums but that did no good. She did say that I could take it to another dealer and see what they say.

So basically it was a waste of my time. I really didn't figure I would get anywhere so it wasn't a big surprise.

Wayne

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/06/14 08:04 PM

Was never big on Ford but this seals the deal. Send the link to this thread to Ford and they will know they are killing their own company. Bad enough they needed govt money to bail them out and now they have the nerve to deny warranty work?! Pfft Customers first? Not at Ford..

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/06/14 09:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Bad enough they needed govt money to bail them out and now they have the nerve to deny warranty work?! Pfft Customers first? Not at Ford..

Psst: Ford didn't take any bailout money. They mortgaged EVERYTHING to not take the gov't money.
Posted by: SHOZ

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/06/14 09:31 PM

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Bad enough they needed govt money to bail them out and now they have the nerve to deny warranty work?! Pfft Customers first? Not at Ford..

Psst: Ford didn't take any bailout money. They mortgaged EVERYTHING to not take the gov't money.

But got a Billion or so from the Energy Dept in loans.

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/06/14 11:24 PM

I went to check on the car and house today and took two pictures of what the screen looks like now. It has gotten worse since the 11/24 pictures I took.

It looks like somebody has been scraping on it with a razor blade.
Posted by: Silverado12

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/07/14 09:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Trav

I know nothing about this issue but I do know when my dads Ranger frame broke in 4 places just out of the Warranty period Ford blamed NE winters and road salt and blew him off like a bad habit.

They knew that if it broke just outside warranty it the frame was so badly rotted and on the verge well within warranty but they could care less, they were in the clear.
I owned a few Fords but will never buy another, this was the final staple holding the wallet closed.

I'm with you, bro. I had a bad Ford experience with a Ranger I bought new in 1987. Had so many problems with it I traded it on a Chevy the next year and never bought another Ford again. FWIW I have had excellent service from GM and esp. Chrysler. Somehow Chrysler got a bad rap, but they've been good to me.

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/07/14 11:26 AM

I would seriously write a real letter and mail it to the CEO's office. Be polite and to the point. CEO won't read it but the executive secretary will. You will most likely get a call back from the dealer to bring the vehicle in to get it fixed.
Posted by: Ed_T

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/07/14 08:34 PM

I would seriously write a real letter and mail it to the CEO's office. Be polite and to the point. CEO won't read it but the executive secretary will. You will most likely get a call back from the dealer to bring the vehicle in to get it fixed.

I second this approach. A co-worker with a leased Camry had a warranty issue and took it to a non-selling dealer. They refused to do the work, so he wrote a letter to corporate and not that long after he was getting multiple calls at work/home/cell to bring the car in. They were almost pleading, he said.
Posted by: sceva

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/07/14 09:08 PM

I drove and owned Ford products exclusively from 1970 to 2000 but after a similar go round over warranty work and being jacked around I have not bought Ford since. I've had four new cars since then. I would look at the Fords with the first two and look at others and always ended up buying something else. I made sure I stopped back at the Ford dealer to let them know I bought a different brand instead of what they showed me and I told them why. Even now it leaves a bad taste in my mouth so I don't even bother to look at the Fords any more.

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/07/14 10:00 PM

I could do this. I just need to find out the mailing address. I think someone above posted who the current CEO is.

This probably will be my last Ford if this is how they treat their customers. I don't recall ever having problems getting warranty work done on my new GM vehicles. What really bothers me is that this is not that expensive of a part. My concern is what will they do when something more serious and expensive happens.

To be honest, this has given me a negative feeling towards Ford to the point that I don't even want to drive the car. It's a fun car but every time I look at the radio screen and see this problem that Ford won't fix, it [censored] me off.

Wayne

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/07/14 10:10 PM

I think someone above posted who the current CEO is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Mulally

Ford Motor Company
Customer Relationship Center
P.O. Box 6248
Dearborn, MI 48126

or

Ford Investor Relations World Headquarters
One American Road, Suite 1026
Dearborn, MI 48126-2798
Posted by: wallyuwl

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/08/14 12:53 AM

We bought a 2010 Equinox in late July 2009 (Cash for Clunkers). It had problems with the transmission shifting. It was a software issue. I made a huge stink on the Edmunds forums, and within a few weeks had an engineer from Detroit come down to KY to personally install a new transmission software calibration. It still wasn't perfect (but they haven't done a newer rendition on the 2010s since), but made a huge difference. We still have the vehicle. If not for that new calibration, the driving experience was so bad we'd have gotten rid of the vehicle within a year.

So go onto the Edmunds forums and make a stink. Start a new thread about your specific problem on the Mustang forum on there. If Ford is like GM, they look at those forums.
Posted by: MCompact

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/08/14 01:33 AM

The dealer has a HUGE influence on warranty issues. My BMW and Mazda dealers have always erred on the side of satisfying the customer rather than looking for an "out" to deny a repair. That said, I also realize people have had bad experiences with BMW and Mazda with respect to warranty coverage.
Still, reading about this fiasco reminds me that I am quite fortunate and makes me even less enthusiastic about shopping elsewhere- no matter how much I might like the Fiesta ST...
Posted by: sleddriver

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/08/14 12:40 PM

Re: Your photos.

To make your case, I'd suggest some excellent photos. Without the bright flash reflection on the very screen you'd like replaced. Otherwise, this is a quick excuse to reject your claim once again. If it takes you 20 attempts to get one good one, so be it.

If a picture is worth a thousand words, make it an excellent one to visually tell your story!

Good luck and be persistent.

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/08/14 02:15 PM

I agree about the photos. Taking the pictures during daytime hours using natural sunlight with the flash off would really bring out the details.

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/08/14 03:53 PM

I mean the only way a manufacturer would reject this warranty work would if they are claiming that the customer *intentionally* broke it because of the spite. I mean even if customer had accidentally hit some hard object against and it cracked, most manufacturer would replace it given how new the vehicle is. It is indeed shocking that OP is getting so much resistance. Ford has made a dramatic turnaround but if this is how they are handling customers these days, I suspect their glory days are going to be short lived. OP is already soured by this experience and his next car (or his relative's next car etc) most likely will NOT be another Ford.

Why is it so hard to understand? That is why I am betting that CEO's office will respond and will go out of their way to help OP.

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/08/14 04:02 PM

I would keep raising [censored] until it is fixed. I personally think it should be covered, and most likely we would cover it at my work to make the customer happy. Our General Manager always tells us to treat the customer like family or how we would want our family treated elsewhere.

If it was obvious that the OP damaged it them ya, I could see the dealer tossing the anchor out, but this isn't one of those situations. A lot of dealers hate dealing with audio components under warranty because they make literally nothing on the parts. Audio components are shipped to the dealer from a vendor on an exchange basis and cannot be charged on a warranty repair order.

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/08/14 04:12 PM

I mean the only way a manufacturer would reject this warranty work would if they are claiming that the customer *intentionally* broke it because of the spite. I mean even if customer had accidentally hit some hard object against and it cracked, most manufacturer would replace it given how new the vehicle is. It is indeed shocking that OP is getting so much resistance.

The only reason I can think of is the dealer still thinks the OP did the damage himself. I can't think of any other reason for the dealer to refuse warrantee service. The OP is going to have to come up with some kind of explanation for the damage. Maybe consult a plastic expert or something.

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/08/14 04:17 PM

Unless OP took a hammer and damaged it just because he was in bad mood, it should be covered. Even if he went in there to "fix" it with razor blade and made it worse.

This particular part should have been replaced as soon as the OP made the complaint. There is no ifs and buts about it. There was no reason for dealer to look for an "out" to honor the warranty regardless of how he gets reimbursed from the manufacturer. That is for the dealer and manufacturer to battle out. They need to leave the customer out of that mess.

So even if customer had damaged this particular item, I would expect it to be covered. I get the feeling that you guys (generic dealership here, NOT you personally!) indeed try to see if you can minimize the warranty work. I know it pays lot less than the customer paid work. I don't blame you but I don't like it and I think it will hurt you in the long term. This is one of the classic example and everybody, including you agrees that this should have been handled differently.

Even if the dealer thought that OP took a hammer and intentionally broke it, he should keep that thought to himself and just fix it. The dealer could contemplate why and come up with a reason. Is OP insane? No. Then is this a test? If yes, then dealer needs to fix it pronto to pass the test.
Posted by: satinsilver

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/08/14 04:23 PM

This may be worth a shot. Contact Cory a few posts down in this link and see if a regional manager can help. Good luck!

http://www.fordflex.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8484

You may have to register there.
Posted by: JZiggy

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/08/14 05:49 PM

Is the plastic covered with tiny little cracks? It might be stress cracking due to a chemical exposure. Try putting sunscreen on a piece of polycarb under stress and watch it crack and break.
Posted by: Rand

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/08/14 06:18 PM

Wow they have gone downhill.

I mean my 2002 ranger had some issues they tried to squirm out of

but I got it covered with enough complaining.
(Examples needed rear brakes at 8000 miles)
Ebrake cable problem, weird squeaking noise, rear pinion seal all around 36000miles.

Next car wont be a ford. its infuriating to take a new car in for any reason.. then to get denied.. It would take all the joy out of owning such a nice car.

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/08/14 09:15 PM

The dealership did take daytime pictures of the damage without flash and because of the glare from the outside light, the pictures do not come out that well. This is why I have taken the pictures like I have. Even my pictures don't portray the damage exactly. You really have to see it in person to see the details.

As far as some suggestions that I damaged this screen or have used a razor blade to further the damage is not the truth at all. Why would I intentionally damage my new $32,000+ car? That makes no sense. If you could see the actual faceplate and screen, you would realize it would be extremely hard to also accidently damage the screen without damaging the surrounding plastic of the face plate. If you guys would read the link I provided above or do a search on some of the mustang forums, you would see others are having the exact same problem and symptoms as I am. If I would have damaged the screen myself, I would pay to fix it and not try to get Ford to do it. One person suggested I hire a plastics expert to inspect this screen. I don't know how much this would cost but I'm not spending more money on this than what it would cost to buy a new part plus as I have already posted, I had a custom made screen already made for $24 to repair this myself if Ford ends up not warrantying this so it's not cost effective for me to spend more than the $24 I've already spent.

My problem with this situation is this:
1. This problem has been happening since 2011 when this version of the Mustang first came out yet Ford chooses to not correct it.
2. This is not an isolated incident where only a couple of people are having this problem. Why would Ford come out with the SSM on this if there wasn't some type of problem.
3. There is a Ford CS rep(Deysha) who monitors the various forums who has been on every thread that I have seen that deals with this problem so someone from Ford is seeing the pictures and reading owner's experience with this yet Ford seems to disregard what gets posted on these forums as not the truth.
4. I know that I did not damage or do anything to cause the screen to be damaged yet basically Ford is telling me I'm a liar. They won't even remove the part and send it to Ford so that it can be examined to determine what the problem is or even call the manufacturer of the part to look at it. Since this is a situation that is hard to prove what or who damaged it, Ford just chooses to deny coverage in most cases since the owner is at a disadvantage because it's almost impossible to prove that you didn't damage it.

This screen is also not a part of the radio at all but is built into the dash face plate that is mounted in front of the radio. The radio does not have to be replaced to fix this problem.

Thanks for all of the support and suggestions.

Wayne

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/08/14 09:17 PM

http://www.forbes.com/sites/joannmuller/...t-surprise-you/

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/08/14 09:29 PM

I mean the only way a manufacturer would reject this warranty work would if they are claiming that the customer *intentionally* broke it because of the spite. I mean even if customer had accidentally hit some hard object against and it cracked, most manufacturer would replace it given how new the vehicle is. It is indeed shocking that OP is getting so much resistance.

The only reason I can think of is the dealer still thinks the OP did the damage himself. I can't think of any other reason for the dealer to refuse warrantee service. The OP is going to have to come up with some kind of explanation for the damage. Maybe consult a plastic expert or something.

This is exactly why I have been denied twice. Why should the opinion of the dealership staff be the deciding factor in this case. They are not plastic experts. I'm not a plastic expert either so I would only be guessing as to why the screen is doing what it's doing. The only way to determine what is causing the problem is for the dealer to send it to a plastics expert or send it back to the screen manufacturer to figure it out. Why should I have to do this on my dime?

JZiggy,
The plastic does look like it has tiny little cracks that has spread with the onset of the cold weather. I personally have never used any type of chemical on the screen but I can't say that the dealer that picked up the car from the body shop after the bumper repair didn't put something on it when they cleaned up the car.

Wayne

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/08/14 09:36 PM

I think someone above posted who the current CEO is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Mulally

Ford Motor Company
Customer Relationship Center
P.O. Box 6248
Dearborn, MI 48126

or

Ford Investor Relations World Headquarters
One American Road, Suite 1026
Dearborn, MI 48126-2798

Thanks for this info. Last night I wrote Ford using their email address but have not received a response yet.

Wayne

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/08/14 10:13 PM

Here is a couple of more links that talk about this problem.
http://forums.themustangsource.com/f803/dash-radio-display-clear-plastic-replacement-517375/
http://forums.themustangsource.com/f804/2013-gt-radio-lcd-display-recognize-517660/

I also wanted to make the point that having pictures to send to Ford are nice, but they don't prove what or how the screen was damaged. All it shows is a damaged screen. That is the crutch of this entire situation. Since I can't prove that I didn't damage it, it gives Ford the out of denying my warranty claim. They obviously don't have to prove it's a manufacturing problem so I lose.

To me and as others have suggested, it comes down to a customer satisfaction situation which in my case, they choose not to go that route.

Wayne

Wayne

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/09/14 08:00 AM

The dealership did take daytime pictures of the damage without flash and because of the glare from the outside light, the pictures do not come out that well. This is why I have taken the pictures like I have. Even my pictures don't portray the damage exactly. You really have to see it in person to see the details.

As far as some suggestions that I damaged this screen or have used a razor blade to further the damage is not the truth at all. Why would I intentionally damage my new $32,000+ car? That makes no sense. If you could see the actual faceplate and screen, you would realize it would be extremely hard to also accidently damage the screen without damaging the surrounding plastic of the face plate. If you guys would read the link I provided above or do a search on some of the mustang forums, you would see others are having the exact same problem and symptoms as I am. If I would have damaged the screen myself, I would pay to fix it and not try to get Ford to do it. One person suggested I hire a plastics expert to inspect this screen. I don't know how much this would cost but I'm not spending more money on this than what it would cost to buy a new part plus as I have already posted, I had a custom made screen already made for $24 to repair this myself if Ford ends up not warrantying this so it's not cost effective for me to spend more than the $24 I've already spent.

My problem with this situation is this:
1. This problem has been happening since 2011 when this version of the Mustang first came out yet Ford chooses to not correct it.
2. This is not an isolated incident where only a couple of people are having this problem. Why would Ford come out with the SSM on this if there wasn't some type of problem.
3. There is a Ford CS rep(Deysha) who monitors the various forums who has been on every thread that I have seen that deals with this problem so someone from Ford is seeing the pictures and reading owner's experience with this yet Ford seems to disregard what gets posted on these forums as not the truth.
4. I know that I did not damage or do anything to cause the screen to be damaged yet basically Ford is telling me I'm a liar. They won't even remove the part and send it to Ford so that it can be examined to determine what the problem is or even call the manufacturer of the part to look at it. Since this is a situation that is hard to prove what or who damaged it, Ford just chooses to deny coverage in most cases since the owner is at a disadvantage because it's almost impossible to prove that you didn't damage it.

This screen is also not a part of the radio at all but is built into the dash face plate that is mounted in front of the radio. The radio does not have to be replaced to fix this problem.

Thanks for all of the support and suggestions.

Wayne

In response to # 1 and 2, The same thing is happening to other vehicles in the Ford lineup. People are finding issues, some being serious and Ford is or cannot fix them. For example, the "exhaust smell in the cabin" and paint issues that have been occurring on Explorers since 2011 still haven't been resolved in 2014 models! The exhaust smell is a serious issue and Ford has some [censored] TSB to try and seal all the holes on the back of the vehicle with undercoating... great solution LOL.

I think They have some serious quality issues when it comes to some of their engineering, testing and actual QA checks on the vehicles during the assembly process.

It is infuriating to spend money on a product that feels so half @$$ed. Anyways.... I'm happy mines a lease, it will be turned in at lease end and we'll be looking else where unless Ford seriously steps up to the plate and actually fixes the issues with their vehicles.

In your case, just pay to replace it, enjoy the Stang and move on from Ford when you want, not much else we can do!

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/09/14 09:38 AM

That's from 2012......

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-05-22/tesla-repaying-loan-for-losers-gives-obama-green-win.html

Quote:
The program’s payoff depends less on the startup companies than on Ford Motor Co. (F), which got $5.9 billion. Ford, based in Dearborn, Michigan, said in a May 1 U.S. regulatory filing that it has $5.5 billion outstanding on its loan and is making quarterly payments of $148 million. Its payment schedule goes through June 2022.

Nissan Motor Co. which is based in Yokohama, Japan, and doesn’t file financial statements in the U.S., hasn’t released details about its $1.4 billion loan repayment record or schedule. It got its money to develop the all-electric Leaf and the batteries that power it.

“Nissan is honoring its commitment to the loan it received through the Department of Energy’s Advanced Technology Vehicles Manufacturing program,” Travis Parman, a U.S.-based spokesman, said in an e-mail. “The company is fully compliant with the terms of the loan.”

shrug

Sounds like the EV development loan payback is going a lot better than the bailout did.
Posted by: Voltmaster

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/09/14 01:09 PM

take it back to the dealership and nag them until soemone does something.

old tech stero messing up like that is unacceptble. its an american , not suprised.

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/09/14 01:29 PM

I thought we suggested real us mail and not email :-( Print the letter, visit your local post office and send it with return receipt. Please try to get better pictures. Use external light such as flashlight so that the reflection won't come to the camera. You might need somebody else to hold the flashlight or droplight. Turn off the flash on the camera.

We are all on your side here. I am saying that even if you did break it, Ford needs to cover it and we know you did not break it.

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/09/14 06:32 PM

I thought we suggested real us mail and not email :-( Print the letter, visit your local post office and send it with return receipt. Please try to get better pictures. Use external light such as flashlight so that the reflection won't come to the camera. You might need somebody else to hold the flashlight or droplight. Turn off the flash on the camera.

We are all on your side here. I am saying that even if you did break it, Ford needs to cover it and we know you did not break it.

The last pictures I took was me holding a flashlight to illuminate the screen and the flash on the camera was off. To be honest, I don't think the pictures have done any good since they have taken the words and opinions of the dealerships instead of trying to determine anything from pictures. The problem is that Ford doesn't seem interested in trying to find out why the screen is damaged. When the dealership gives it's opinion that it's caused by outside damage, that is all Ford seems to care about and everything stops there.

I will also write a letter but that still does not guarantee a response

Tomorrow I'm going to call the regional CS rep and ask him why I was denied the second time and how did they determine by the pictures that the damage to the screen was caused by outside damage or by some type of solvent.

Wayne
Posted by: FL_Rob

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/09/14 10:41 PM

Ford issued the SSM (special service message)so they absolutely know there's a problem,and that the owners aren't the ones doing this to their cars.
Do the dealers think that they can convince corporate that customers are purposefully smashing the lens ,all owners with theses faulty lenses,not just 'Stang owners and actually disagree with corporate since they are the one who put out the SSM to begin with.
Have everyone on all the boards write a letter of complaint to the head honcho mentioned above, a few days in advance and mail them ALL on the same day from everywhere .The effect in the hallways at Ford would be.... legen-dary.

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/09/14 10:42 PM

I agree about it being a piece of protective plastic that can be removed just before delivery. You see this kind of thing everywhere on durable goods from the control label on a vacuum cleaner, to cars, they have been doing this for years now decades in fact.

I do remember that IF this stuff is left on too long in high heat, the adhesive that normally will easily detach from the piece of trim being protective will stick to the item while the protective plastic will separate during removal. If a Kenmore Vacuum cleaner can have this protective strip come off easily no reason why it should be the same for a 25k product.

Again @ wtd...send a snail mail addressed to Alan Mulally CEO at Ford make sure to send it return receipt requested to be opened only my Mr. Mulally. You will get resolution.

Don't waste ANYMORE of your time dealing with customer service. They have proven that they either cannot or will not resolve the issue and provide satisfaction. DIAL DIRECT TO THE HEAD HONCHO!

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/10/14 12:02 PM

I'm still not convinced it is caused by the protective plastic since when I took it off, there was no residue that I could see. The protective plastic also seemed to be made out of a rubbery plastic and seemed to be held on by static.

I just got off the phone with Ford CS rep assigned to my case. I basically asked what do I have to do to prove that I didn't cause this damage and that I felt that the dealership doesn't have the expertise to determine what caused this issue.

I finally brought up the SSM. He pulled it up and basically it says something about a new part number for this part. He kept saying the name of the person at the last dealership that he had talked to which turned out to be the service manager who had never looked at my car. He said that the manager had talked to the service advisor who had looked at my car and that he had said it looked like it had been damaged. The SA had told me that it looked like some type of delamination taking place. I told the Ford CS rep that someone was lying then

The Ford rep said to take it back to this dealership and he was going to call and talk to them again. I'm going to take it back next Friday on my day off.

I'm going to see what happens next Friday before I send a letter to Alan Mulally. Mentioning the SSM seemed to make a difference to the Ford rep. Obviously since they have come out with an upgraded part, they know they have issues.

Wayne

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/10/14 05:41 PM

Letter, United States Mail, Certified Return Receipt... copy to dealer principal.
Posted by: Oldmoparguy1

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/11/14 08:47 AM

Have you considered filing a complaint with your state attorney generals office? I don't know about MO, but here in NC our AG will help, especially if it is an ongoing problem. Good luck,

Another Wayne

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/11/14 10:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
Have you considered filing a complaint with your state attorney generals office? I don't know about MO, but here in NC our AG will help, especially if it is an ongoing problem. Good luck,

Another Wayne

I did think about it but I'm trying the Ford route first. Thanks for the suggestion.

Wayne

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/11/14 04:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Huie83

In response to # 1 and 2, The same thing is happening to other vehicles in the Ford lineup. People are finding issues, some being serious and Ford is or cannot fix them. For example, the "exhaust smell in the cabin" and paint issues that have been occurring on Explorers since 2011 still haven't been resolved in 2014 models! The exhaust smell is a serious issue and Ford has some [censored] TSB to try and seal all the holes on the back of the vehicle with undercoating... great solution LOL.

I think They have some serious quality issues when it comes to some of their engineering, testing and actual QA checks on the vehicles during the assembly process.

It is infuriating to spend money on a product that feels so half @$$ed. Anyways.... I'm happy mines a lease, it will be turned in at lease end and we'll be looking else where unless Ford seriously steps up to the plate and actually fixes the issues with their vehicles.

Can you elaborate on these issues more? We were considering buying a used late model Explorer in the next year or so.

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/12/14 10:43 AM

Explorerforum.com is a great resource to read about all the issues. 2011-2012 have more issues than the 2013-14, however my 13 still had plenty...

To elaborate on some of my issues:

Exhaust smell in cabin- when you are accelerating to get on the highway or briskly, strong exhaust smell enters the cabin. Real PITA if you are in a hilly area and revving the motor to keep speed, it's bad enough to burn your eyes sometimes. It's all over that forum. Ford has a service bulletin for it to remove the rear bumper and seal all the rear vents etc with under body coating. Doesn't really work.

[censored] paint job- after I brought it home I noticed it has all sorts of sand like particles under spots on the hood and rear drivers quarter panel. Would need a repaint to get rid of the stuff, it's not in the paint, it's under. Lots of owners are dealing with paint issues, especially on the hood, can find it on that forum too.

I have other quality issues too- ticking noise while holding speed on the highway, sounds like a leaky exhaust manifold. Sometimes the info display stays on after the truck is parked and all doors locked. Rear bumper looks like it's seperating from the rear quarter panels on both sides. The gap has gotten bigger over the past year. Oh and I just discovered that it's burning a little oil, 1qt in the past 5k miles.... I know, not a lot but never had a car use oil before.

On the 2011-2012 lots of people are complaining of the following;

-A pillar trim falling off on the highway.
- water leaks through the roof rail bolt holes.
- sync system crashes.
- power steering system faults, IE, losing steering while driving.
- power transfer unit for AWD system blowing seals.
- sulfur smell in cabin from cooling system.
- power window jitter from bad window motors/tracks from the factory.( my 13 has this)
- paint wearing off the bottom door edge due to the design of where the rubber seal meets the door when shut. Basically rubs the paint right off when grime gets in there.

So yeah.... Lots of weird design and or quality issues with the later model explorers and I know I'm missing some. I guess if you are not a car person you may never notice some of these issues. Personally I doubt we will keep ours once the lease is up. I find it crazy that I have to bring it back at the 10k oil change to have all sorts of stuff looked at, I don't believe it's a good value for the money. It's a very good looking SUV, that's what lured me in but really take a look at other manufacturers before going Ford. It's sad, I wanted to like mine.

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/12/14 10:58 AM

Thanks Huie, that helps a lot. I guess I may not be going with an Explorer. We'll need a three row CUV in a year or two. Liked the Traverse/Acadia but not the DI engine GM put in it. We've had some problems with the DI in our Equinox. And used, there is no way I'd go with one of those not knowing the OCI history. Liked the Explorer for looks and size, but guess they have their own issues (and it seems like a lot of them).

Pathfinder and the three row Santa Fe are a bit smaller than Explorer and Traverse. Maybe the new CX-9 is bigger?

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/12/14 12:19 PM

My last Hyundai was awesome, 124,000 trouble free miles from my 07 Elantra, I'd give Hyundai a close look too. My choices were the cx-9, Toyota highlander, Durango, Traverse and Santa Fe.

They were all nice, I wanted the Hyundai or highlander ( my favorite of the bunch) but the wife wanted something " American", she's a hard core GM fan but the traverse and Acadia just don't appeal to me. She loves the EX but doesn't notice issues like I do.

Best of luck and let me know if you have any more questions.
Posted by: Doog

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/12/14 02:09 PM

Next time skip the Ford and get a Toyota, KIA or Hyundai.

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/12/14 03:33 PM

We have a 2013 Hyundai Elantra on lease. Wife drives it and likes it OK, I'm less of a fan. The three row Santa Fes look small in the showroom. Might look at a CX-9. Not many choices in the large CUV category.

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/15/14 04:40 PM

Just an update. I called the dealer today to see if the regional rep had called and told them I was going to bring the car in Friday to have them look at it again. I talked to the SA that I had been dealing with. He said his service manager had talked to the rep but he didn't know what was going on but that he would find out. I called back in the afternoon and he told me that he had ordered the part and that the rep had told them to fix it. He said he would call me to set up an appointment when the part came in.

I also got a call from the regional rep after I got home and he said that he had reviewed my case further and that the dealership was going to fix the issue. I thanked him for his assistance with this matter.

Deysha, the online Ford rep also contacted me by PM on one of the Mustang forums yesterday and wanted to know some additional info. It sounded like she was also trying to do something. I replied back to her and gave her some info as well as my opinion and feelings on this matter. I sent her a PM a little while ago thanking her for any help that she may have given me.

I'm just glad that Ford stepped up and did the right thing and hopefully other people with this issue can get their problem solved. In my case, I was persistent but professional and made some good arguments. I'm not sure what it was that ultimately changed their mind but I'm glad they did. Maybe they just wanted me to go away. LOL

Wayne

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/15/14 07:31 PM

Excellent news! Glad you got it handled...

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/15/14 08:56 PM

I'm just glad that Ford stepped up and did the right thing and hopefully other people with this issue can get their problem solved. In my case, I was persistent but professional and made some good arguments. I'm not sure what it was that ultimately changed their mind but I'm glad they did. Maybe they just wanted me to go away. LOL

Wayne

The biggest motivator was social media, like this website and others you posted on, word gets around REALLY fast and it WILL hurt their business. It wasn't Ford wasn't being noble it was being practical. But it is good that the problem is being fixed.

The question is WHY did you have to go this far to get THEIR defect fixed in the first place? That is poor customer service.
Posted by: Peted

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/16/14 09:24 AM

Money.

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/16/14 02:07 PM

Did you send the letter to the President's office? I thought you did send email but not postal mail to that office. If that is the case, somebody there must have read your email.

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/16/14 05:28 PM

I've found that in most cases they do read the e-mail. I sent an email to GM complaining about the low USA parts content in the new Silverado and actually got a reply.

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/16/14 07:09 PM

Did you send the letter to the President's office? I thought you did send email but not postal mail to that office. If that is the case, somebody there must have read your email.

I had not sent any postal mail yet as I was going to wait until I took the car back in to see what they were going to do. At this point, I'm not sure which avenue I used made the difference since I had been in contact with the regional rep, the forum rep, and writing the email all in the last week or so.

I know that after my conversation with the regional rep and me making some of the points that I made, that seemed to make some type of impression on him so that he was willing to contact the second dealership again and talk to them about the situation. I'm just glad that it's going to be fixed and hopefully the replacement screen won't have issues.

Wayne

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/16/14 07:28 PM

Glad they took care of you. I had a customer come into parts today that service didn't want to warranty a part for, and I basically pulled seniority on the service writers to make it happen. This was over a $40 part that needed no labor charge to install. As much as I want to sell stuff over the counter, making a customer happy when you can figure out how to get warranty to cover it is priceless.

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/16/14 09:47 PM

Glad they took care of you. I had a customer come into parts today that service didn't want to warranty a part for, and I basically pulled seniority on the service writers to make it happen. This was over a $40 part that needed no labor charge to install. As much as I want to sell stuff over the counter, making a customer happy when you can figure out how to get warranty to cover it is priceless.

I think for a lot of dealers, money overshadows customer service. CS seems to be sorely lacking around here. I'm glad that you are able to help people out when you can. I'm sure that customer will come back to you and spend some money on parts in the future.

I know I don't plan on buying anything from the first dealer I visited who originally denied me warranty. I think he made the situation worse from there on out.

Wayne

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/28/14 09:16 PM

Well, my screen is now fixed. I got it installed today after work. I think they may have also replaced the radio but I'm not sure. I didn't look at my paperwork until I had already left. Here is what some of the work order says.

Customer states radio display is delaminating. -SOP-
Approved by Ford Customer SAT.
Caused by flaw in material
Corrected by (A07) (D4) Audio Unit Part number- Acquire and order.
Corrected by Audio Unit- replace.
Inspect, verified concern, removed and replaced radio unit as needed. retest.

I'm not sure that replacing the radio was necessary if that is what they did since the screen that was part of the front panel seemed to be the problem and not the screen that was actually attached to the radio itself. I had never asked that the radio be replaced but maybe that is part of the SSM procedure.

There is now a blue line in the radio display when the radio is on that separates the outside temperature from the channel info that I don't recall being there before. The display also says "Mustang" for a few seconds when you first turn on the car so maybe they did in fact also replace the radio.

There doesn't seem to be any mention of the front panel being replaced on the work order unless either the (A07) or (D4) refer to the panel.

I'm glad it's fixed and again want to thank Deysha and whoever else at Ford that helped make this happen.

Wayne

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/28/14 10:30 PM

A07 and D4 are filing codes IIRC. There will not be a part number billed out because audio components are exchange basis only on warranty ROs. The dealers do not make any money on the parts end of a warranty RO.

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/29/14 01:42 AM

There is now a blue line in the radio display when the radio is on that separates the outside temperature from the channel info that I don't recall being there before.

That sucks - I would hate having a blue line on my radio. You should take the car back and tell them you've had it - you want the whole car replaced this time.

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/29/14 09:08 AM

There is now a blue line in the radio display when the radio is on that separates the outside temperature from the channel info that I don't recall being there before.

That sucks - I would hate having a blue line on my radio. You should take the car back and tell them you've had it - you want the whole car replaced this time.

This sounds like an intentional divider line FWIW.

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/29/14 09:30 AM

^^^LOL

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/29/14 05:26 PM

Here are a couple of pictures of the new screen and the radio display with the blue line and "Mustang" in the display. I also included one of the damaged screen before it was fixed.

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/29/14 05:51 PM

Is it that vertical line off to the right? If so I have seen that before on some models. BTW I am jealous that you get 10 presets.

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/29/14 08:56 PM

Is it that vertical line off to the right? If so I have seen that before on some models. BTW I am jealous that you get 10 presets.

Yes, the one next to the outside temp display. I didn't have that before the repair or the word "Mustang" when you first turn on the car.

Which radio do you have in your car? I don't have all 10 preset because there are not ten stations around here that I like to listen to.

Wayne

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/29/14 09:41 PM

Which radio do you have in your car? I don't have all 10 preset because there are not ten stations around here that I like to listen to.

I have the ginormous NAV screen. There are 2 FM and 3 Sirius bands or whatever you want to call them with 6 presets each. My Volvo had a straight 20 presets for FM which was awesome for when I was down to LA and didn't have to search for KROQ.

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/29/14 10:17 PM

Blue divider is intentional and is on some other Ford models.
Probably the new unit is manufactured by another supplier/vendor.

I'm 99.98% sure that they replaced the entire stereo unit.

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/30/14 12:56 PM

I would say that I did get a new radio since it seems to indicate that on my work order and the new display items.

bdcardinal,
Do you have access to SSM 44226 to see if replacing the radio is part of the repair? I don't even know if they used the SSM on my repair but I'm just curious about why they replaced the radio if only the screen in the faceplate had the issue. If the SSM states that the radio replacement is part of the fix, then I know mine was replaced under that. They obviously ordered both the radio and the faceplate because I doubt they just have spare radios laying around. I'm definately not complaining about the radio replacement, just curious about it. Thanks.

Wayne

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/30/14 01:01 PM

I have the ginormous NAV screen. There are 2 FM and 3 Sirius bands or whatever you want to call them with 6 presets each. My Volvo had a straight 20 presets for FM which was awesome for when I was down to LA and didn't have to search for KROQ.

That Nav. unit looks pretty nice. I wonder how hard it is to retrofit one of those into a car that didn't have it originally? The one thing I wish my car has is the sirius radio as I had it in my last car and liked it. My base model radio is Sirius capable but you have to buy all of the components to make it work. I thought about trying to do it but I don't know if it would be worth the cost and I'm not sure where or how I would mount the antenna to make the install look clean.

Wayne

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/30/14 01:59 PM

bdcardinal,
Do you have access to SSM 44226 to see if replacing the radio is part of the repair?

OASIS SPECIAL SERVICE MESSAGE NUMBER: 44226
MESSAGE TITLE: Multi Vehicle Line - Front Display Interface Module (FDIM) Display Distortion

APPLICABLE VEHICLES :
2011 CAR : 00122 FOCUS
2012 TRUCK : 00189 FLEX
2012 CAR : 00170 FUSION
2012 CAR : 00117 TAURUS
2012 - 2013 TRUCK : 00029 F-SERIES LD
2012 - 2014 CAR : 00071 MUSTANG
2011 TRUCK : 00163 MARINER
2011 - 2012 TRUCK : 00130 ESCAPE
2011 CAR : AU FOCUS (CW170) - N.A.
2011 TRUCK : M7 ESCAPE/TRIBUTE/MARINER-LHD
2012 CAR : DE FUSION/MILAN/MKZ (ZEPHYR)
2012 CAR : PH TAURUS
2011 - 2012 TRUCK : M7 ESCAPE/TRIBUTE/MARINER-LHD
2012 - 2013 TRUCK : F6 F150/LINCOLN MARK LT
2012 - 2014 CAR : ZF MUSTANG (S197)

OASIS MESSAGE :
Some 2011 Focus, Mariner; 2011-2012 Escape; 2012 Flex, Fusion, Taurus; 2012-2013 F150; 2012-2014 Mustang vehicles may have a distorted FDIM display often described as being delaminated, frosted, cloudy, hazy, faded, and/or foggy. FDIM service parts have been improved and are now available. Base Part Number 10D885. Please use available labor times to correct the condition.

APPLICABLE SYMPTOM CODES :
1***** Comfort & Entertainment
112*** Comfort & Entertainment > Audio
1126** Comfort & Entertainment > Audio > Display/Multifun
112636 Comfort & Entertainment > Audio > Display/Multifun
112638 Comfort & Entertainment > Audio > Display/Multifun
200000 ELECTRICALmp; Entertainment > Audio > Display/Multifun
207000 ELECTRICAL ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEMS Audio > Display/Multifun

The FDIM is not the radio, it is the actual screen, stands for Front Display Interface Module. The radio unit itself is actually called an Audio Control Module. The part with the buttons is called the Front Control Interface module. We also have Accessory Protocol Interface Modules (sync) and Human Machine Interface Modules.

This picture should be what your setup looks like behind the dash.

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/30/14 02:02 PM

That Nav. unit looks pretty nice. I wonder how hard it is to retrofit one of those into a car that didn't have it originally? The one thing I wish my car has is the sirius radio as I had it in my last car and liked it. My base model radio is Sirius capable but you have to buy all of the components to make it work. I thought about trying to do it but I don't know if it would be worth the cost and I'm not sure where or how I would mount the antenna to make the install look clean.

Wayne

We have called before and it is kind of a pain to do it using factory parts. There is a company that makes a retrofit kit that looks pretty cool, I forget the name, but if you go to the 2010-2014 Mustang section of SVTPerformance there is a writeup on it.

The antenna is the little black bumpy looking think on my trunklid.

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/30/14 07:40 PM

bdcardinal,
Do you have access to SSM 44226 to see if replacing the radio is part of the repair?

OASIS SPECIAL SERVICE MESSAGE NUMBER: 44226
MESSAGE TITLE: Multi Vehicle Line - Front Display Interface Module (FDIM) Display Distortion

APPLICABLE VEHICLES :
2011 CAR : 00122 FOCUS
2012 TRUCK : 00189 FLEX
2012 CAR : 00170 FUSION
2012 CAR : 00117 TAURUS
2012 - 2013 TRUCK : 00029 F-SERIES LD
2012 - 2014 CAR : 00071 MUSTANG
2011 TRUCK : 00163 MARINER
2011 - 2012 TRUCK : 00130 ESCAPE
2011 CAR : AU FOCUS (CW170) - N.A.
2011 TRUCK : M7 ESCAPE/TRIBUTE/MARINER-LHD
2012 CAR : DE FUSION/MILAN/MKZ (ZEPHYR)
2012 CAR : PH TAURUS
2011 - 2012 TRUCK : M7 ESCAPE/TRIBUTE/MARINER-LHD
2012 - 2013 TRUCK : F6 F150/LINCOLN MARK LT
2012 - 2014 CAR : ZF MUSTANG (S197)

OASIS MESSAGE :
Some 2011 Focus, Mariner; 2011-2012 Escape; 2012 Flex, Fusion, Taurus; 2012-2013 F150; 2012-2014 Mustang vehicles may have a distorted FDIM display often described as being delaminated, frosted, cloudy, hazy, faded, and/or foggy. FDIM service parts have been improved and are now available. Base Part Number 10D885. Please use available labor times to correct the condition.

APPLICABLE SYMPTOM CODES :
1***** Comfort & Entertainment
112*** Comfort & Entertainment > Audio
1126** Comfort & Entertainment > Audio > Display/Multifun
112636 Comfort & Entertainment > Audio > Display/Multifun
112638 Comfort & Entertainment > Audio > Display/Multifun
200000 ELECTRICALmp; Entertainment > Audio > Display/Multifun
207000 ELECTRICAL ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEMS Audio > Display/Multifun

The FDIM is not the radio, it is the actual screen, stands for Front Display Interface Module. The radio unit itself is actually called an Audio Control Module. The part with the buttons is called the Front Control Interface module. We also have Accessory Protocol Interface Modules (sync) and Human Machine Interface Modules.

This picture should be what your setup looks like behind the dash.

Thanks for the information. Just to clarify, is the FDIM the part that attaches to the front of the radio that houses the display and does the Front Control Interface Module also include the panel that the buttons are bolted to that houses the screen that was damaged on my car or is this piece called something else?

Wayne

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/30/14 07:49 PM

Wayne

We have called before and it is kind of a pain to do it using factory parts. There is a company that makes a retrofit kit that looks pretty cool, I forget the name, but if you go to the 2010-2014 Mustang section of SVTPerformance there is a writeup on it.

The antenna is the little black bumpy looking think on my trunklid.

Nice looking car! You have the same color as I do. Have you done any mods to it other than your oil catch can? What about exhaust?

I knew the thing on the trunk lid was the Sirius antenna. I wouldn't want to drill a hole in my trunk lid so if I did get the kit to install Sirius in my car, I would have to come up with a different mounting solution. I have read that some people mounted it on the rear package tray inside the car without any reception issues.

Here is a picture of my car right after I waxed it for the first time.

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/30/14 08:06 PM

The FDIM is the screen, the top thing in that horrible picture I posted from my computer at work. The FCIM which includes all the buttons and knobs for the radio is the thing with all the buttons and knobs on it with "18842" in the horrible picture.

Mods so far are just the catch can, and I dumped the factory rear end fill for Amsoil. I am doing the GTO clutch reservoir mod and will switch out to an automatic brake master reservoir along with Stoptech braided lines whenever I get the motivation. I also have FRPP brake cooling ducts to install. I have the FRPP trans cooler, just going back and forth on actually putting it in. Also have BMR driveshaft loops for safety. I got the Roush hood strut kit because my work is a Roush dealer and the discount made it worth trying.

As for exhaust I am really thinking of getting the JBA cat delete pipes with X pipe and then getting Borla Stingers, I am a fan of the raspy exhaust, plus Borla is local.

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/30/14 10:46 PM

The FDIM is the screen, the top thing in that horrible picture I posted from my computer at work. The FCIM which includes all the buttons and knobs for the radio is the thing with all the buttons and knobs on it with "18842" in the horrible picture.

Mods so far are just the catch can, and I dumped the factory rear end fill for Amsoil. I am doing the GTO clutch reservoir mod and will switch out to an automatic brake master reservoir along with Stoptech braided lines whenever I get the motivation. I also have FRPP brake cooling ducts to install. I have the FRPP trans cooler, just going back and forth on actually putting it in. Also have BMR driveshaft loops for safety. I got the Roush hood strut kit because my work is a Roush dealer and the discount made it worth trying.

As for exhaust I am really thinking of getting the JBA cat delete pipes with X pipe and then getting Borla Stingers, I am a fan of the raspy exhaust, plus Borla is local.

Thanks for the clarification.

Sounds like you have some good mods planned. The brake cooling ducts were one I was thinking of doing. I was thinking of installing a hood strut kit but haven't decided which one. A lot of people recommend the Redline ones.

I like Borla products and have a Borla Cat-back on my 98 Chevy 4x4. I also had one on the 2004 Monte Carlo SS that I traded in on the Mustang. I wanted the Borla S-type for my 14 but they were more than I wanted to pay so I went with the Roush AB.

When I installed my Ford aluminum finned diff cover, I couldn't believe how nasty the factory fluid was with only about 4,000 miles on the car. I stayed with the Motorcraft fluid and boy was that stuff expensive. I probably should have used Amsoil.

I have a Performance Automatic transmission dipstick kit to install and thought about installing their deep aluminum finned tranny pan but I'm kind of concerned with clearance using a deeper pan.

I thought about installing the Boss oil cooler but some people said that running this cooler with a non-Boss radiator will cause the car to run hotter. I have an automatic tranny so the Boss radiator won't work in my car.

Wayne

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/31/14 06:02 AM

Note that Ford has a TSB on the rear end, there have been a few complaints of noise and some failures. Be cautious and listen carefully.

The oil to water HE's are not the solution if your radiator is marginal. Just get a small flat plate cooler, super easy to install and fewer failure points to strand you...

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/31/14 01:13 PM

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Note that Ford has a TSB on the rear end, there have been a few complaints of noise and some failures. Be cautious and listen carefully.

The oil to water HE's are not the solution if your radiator is marginal. Just get a small flat plate cooler, super easy to install and fewer failure points to strand you...

I knew that there have been complaints about noise in the rear ends of some Mustangs. It seems like the most complaints have come from guys running the 3.73 gears. My car has 3.15 gears because of the automatic. That is also one reason I changed the fluid out so early and put on the aluminum diff cover. Maybe I will get lucky on that issue.

I doubt I install an oil cooler because I don't plan on tracking the car but I like the idea of keeping the oil as cool as possible especially when reading all of the debate on running a 5W-20 in these cars. There are supposed claims from Ford engineers that developed the 5.0 that they recommend a 5W-30 but that the Ford CAFE requirements won out and is why they went with a 5W-20. I have no idea who is right or wrong on that matter.

Wayne

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/31/14 02:09 PM

Well, you certainly should NOT install much of anything while under warranty. You don't want to give them an "out".

FWIW even the Boss 302's were overheating on the road course last summer. The packaging is tight and the power output is high, it would seem there isn't much extra capacity...

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/31/14 03:43 PM

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Well, you certainly should NOT install much of anything while under warranty. You don't want to give them an "out".

FWIW even the Boss 302's were overheating on the road course last summer. The packaging is tight and the power output is high, it would seem there isn't much extra capacity...

You are right about that. I found that out with this entire radio screen problem. It seems like if they can deny you, they will. The only mods that I have done that could be in question is the oil catch can and Roush AB exhaust and I really don't think the exhaust would be an issue. As much oil as I catch in the oil catch can, I'm willing to risk that one.

Wayne

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 01/31/14 08:48 PM

If I stand on the roof of my house, I can see that blue line on your radio all the way from here. shocked2

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 02/02/14 09:30 PM

If I stand on the roof of my house, I can see that blue line on your radio all the way from here. shocked2

You have some very good eyes sir. LOL
Posted by: kenv

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 02/03/14 10:30 PM

I`m the site admin on AllFordMustangs.com. We have had many members (including myself) with the radio screen problem (delamination). Most of the members who have contacted our Ford customer service rep. (Deysha) have had their problems taken care of.

Ken

Re: Look what is happening on my new 2014 Mustang GT. - 02/04/14 07:31 PM

Originally Posted By: kenv
I`m the site admin on AllFordMustangs.com. We have had many members (including myself) with the radio screen problem (delamination). Most of the members who have contacted our Ford customer service rep. (Deysha) have had their problems taken care of.

Ken

I think she was instrumental in getting mine replaced under warranty. She contacted me a couple before I contacted the Ford rep assigned to my case to ask some additional questions.

I'm very happy that it was finally taken care of under warranty but it shouldn't have taken over two months to get it resolved, especially since this is a known problem and an online Ford rep saw all of the posts on different forums describing the issue.

Wayne