How to stop windshield wiper chatter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tzu

Can anyone recommend how to stop the annoying wiper chatter that always seems to develop. I usually get the Duralast wipers from Auto-Zone, and clean the whole windshield first with glass cleaner and then with alchol and paper towels. Then I clean the new blades with the alchol wipe included in the package. Does the sun age them that quickly so that that become hard and noisy in less than 6 months? Maybe another brand would be quieter? From what I can tell, there is no film on the glass because I see no streaking whatsoever, even driving at night in the rain, but just that annoying chatter is there. I have 2 different vehicles doing the same thing. I heard WD40 may work on the blade rubber, but felt leary about putting something oily there for night driving. They still look new. Thanks for any tips

No WD40

Are the wiper arms bent, how is the spring tension ?

The arm needs to make firm contact

You wouldn't by chance use a drive through car wash. some of the wax products they use can cause this

Last edited:
Go back to OEM.

I prefer to replace just the insert with OEM. I did this on a Lexus and they were perfect.

On a Ford, I found that Anco were the OEM supplier. Consumer Reports recommended Anco 31 and they were $5 a piece, widely available in Walmart and at the time, there was a rebate available if you purchased 2.

Again, these worked perfectly.

The other recommended ones are Anco Contour (sometimes Anco 31 will not be applicable for your application) and Valeo 600 series, which are apparently the best, but more pricey.

If you are finding whatever you buy is wearing out in 6 months, then Anco 31's are great because of their price / performance.

I know there are all sorts of blades that claim to be long lasting, heat resistant etc out there. Perhaps reading some Amazon reviews may turn up something that really lasts. I replaced some inserts for my mother in law because they claimed to be really long lasting silicone, but the actual wiping performance was below par.

Thats usually a sign that the blades are clearing so good,there is no lubrication (water) left on the glass...and/or the rubber has taken a "set" and is curved in one direction.So,when it moves "with" the curve,its quiet....away from the curve,its noisy.

Originally Posted By: cmorr
Are the wiper arms bent, how is the spring tension ?

The arm needs to make firm contact

Good point. Try to find the torque specs for the wiper assembly and check that this is what you have.

Once, when I was very young, I played with my parent's wipers when the car was being washed, when I discovered they could be lifted off.

We went somewhere and it started pouring down, and the wipers would not work. I had played with them so much, I had loosened them up! The nuts were tightened and everything went back to normal.

Originally Posted By: Tzu
Can anyone recommend how to stop the annoying wiper chatter that always seems to develop. I usually get the Duralast wipers from Auto-Zone, and clean the whole windshield first with glass cleaner and then with alchol and paper towels. Then I clean the new blades with the alchol wipe included in the package. Does the sun age them that quickly so that that become hard and noisy in less than 6 months? Maybe another brand would be quieter? From what I can tell, there is no film on the glass because I see no streaking whatsoever, even driving at night in the rain, but just that annoying chatter is there. I have 2 different vehicles doing the same thing. I heard WD40 may work on the blade rubber, but felt leary about putting something oily there for night driving. They still look new. Thanks for any tips

Your answer is in your post.
About 6 months is all we are going to get, if the car is outside . Soft and pliable won't last.

Two methods

One is twist the arm slightly to give the rubber a more 90 degree attack on the glass.

Second is wipe them occasionally with automatic transmission conditioner. The esters in them not only soften seals, but wiper blades.

First clean your windshield real good then wax it. Get some silicone lube spray, put it on a rag, and wipe the edge of the blade.

I have a set of TripplEdge premium silicone blades. I think they have been on my truck for 8 years. I clean them twice a year. They don't wipe 100%, but they are at least 85% of better. They are also Lifetime warrantied.

Try a brand of wiper blade that uses silicone as the material rather than natural rubber. I had mixed results on my old car, but they lasted about three times as long as natural rubber wipers. PIAA and Silblade are two brands I can think of from the top of my head. There is also "Tripledge." They used to sell them at Wal Mart. I liked them because they were made in the U.S. (at least, used to be). My Honda was a challenge because its original windshield was quite pitted and scratched after 23 years.

Duralast are pretty run-of-the-mill blades and six months is about it for them. I also agree that OEM can sometimes last longer, but silicone blades are my preference.

Originally Posted By: Tzu
Can anyone recommend how to stop the annoying wiper chatter that always seems to develop.

Question: Did the car come from the factory with chattery wipers?
Answer: No.

Question: What is the difference between the setup that came from the factory and what is on the car now?
Answer: Aftermarket parts.

I think you know what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back