saturn pcv question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased a pcv484 for my Saturn it is supposed to help oil consumption. Is there any down sides to using it and it makes a hissing noise i assume that is normal? Thanks guys

^As long as there are no vacuum leaks...is it a bigger valve but similar design? What's up? How many Saturn folks doing that with what results?

i thought a pcv valve was made to let a certain amount of air through it. wouldnt putting a different spec one change the air fuel ratio?. I put a proper spec one in my ford and it makes a clicking noise. no big deal but why didnt the one before make the noise.

Originally Posted By: abycat
i thought a pcv valve was made to let a certain amount of air through it. wouldnt putting a different spec one change the air fuel ratio?. I put a proper spec one in my ford and it makes a clicking noise. no big deal but why didnt the one before make the noise.

The one I bought for my car clicks when shaken, and you can see the valve part rattle around. If the mounted one wasn't clicking, it might be sticky w/ oil -- hence people suggesting checking / replacing the valve.

^Is it a larger PCV valve than the OE spec'd and does the OE spec PCV valve have an actual moving part inside that you can hear?

Originally Posted By: abycat
i thought a pcv valve was made to let a certain amount of air through it. wouldnt putting a different spec one change the air fuel ratio?.
Oxygen sensor determines air/fuel, not pcv valve.

IDK, if your idle does funny with it, I wouldn't use it.

Also, monitor the valve to make sure it isn't getting gummy or crud filled...maybe the idea is 'no' valve and just a constant allowance for crankcase ventilation not valve dependent. IDK how that would help the ring packs as far as consumption, but check the PCV valve and throttle body for excess oil if it starts to get choked performance from too much oil passing through the PCV 'valve' with a hollow one in place.

I passed on the info regarding the fixed orifice PCV valve. I am using one now. It eliminated the plume of smoke out the back of my 99SL2 when getting up to highway speeds. I hear no extra noise. Have smooth idle and reduced oil consumption. Details here.

How much reduction have you noticed? I just noticed the little whistling noise it hasn't had any negative. Effects though. It looks so different I was kinda worried about using it but so far so good
thumbsup2.gif

I trust the technical advice of many people at Saturnfans (and here too). So far no negatives. I changed oil this weekend. Installed PCV Monday. I went over 450 miles since then. It is looking like I used 1/4 to 1/3 quart of oil. It would normally be double that. It has been kinda hectic. I put my mom in a nursing home today. Next week I will have more 150 mile highway trips to better determine oil consumption. At this point it is experimental. Need more data. *Your results may vary.

Interesting, definitely want to hear more of that. It is experimental but with an obvious mechanical issue, even though not necessarily non-engine threatening if you can stay topped off regarding oil, it's worth it to see if something that simply could slow consumption. That seems to be the only real thing to worry about, though a major hassle if out of control, on those apps. Aside from the brass coolant temp sensor.

I wonder what the results of rigging up some sort of evac system on one of these motors would do?

That's basically what you are accomplishing (though a really low performance version) with the PCV setup. Negative pressure in the crankcase pulls the rings out against the cylinder walls, increasing ring seal and reducing blow-by.

It is quite common in racing circles to run a crankcase evac pump to create (and hold) the crankcase in a negative pressure state to take advantage of the increased ring seal, reduced blow-by, and subsequently, the increase in power output it provides.

While the PCV does have the potential through vacuum to create some negative pressure in the crankcase, as an engine ages, and blow-by increases, this can easily be overwhelmed. And where you would benefit from the increased ring seal the most: with the engine under load, at WOT, since you have no manifold vacuum, the PCV is doing nothing more than acting like a breather for blow-by gasses.

IIRC, the Camaro's of certain years had electric vacuum pumps on them. These are often converted into cheap crankcase evac pumps for budget race setups. I would be quite interested to see what the result of running one of these on one of these cars would do.

^Spoken like a true Civic driver...meh, drive gently in stop and go, throttle it on the freeway/highway.
thumbsup2.gif

There, SLCraig's method in place.

LOL. When I pulled my oil pcv valve which was only a few months old it had oil on it. Is that normal? I don't ever recall a car having oil in it but then again I didn't examine it either.

^I had a high consumption rate on my previous Stratus, family owned, and the PCV valve was always passing oil. Some allow it to catch in a catch can attached in place of the valve on the PCV sysetm. This may still place the backpressure desired if the inlet/outlet are relatively small compared to the old PCV valve, or on post valve, but IDK for sure just another thought if you don't want oil getting into the combustion chamber = more out of the exhaust.

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14
LOL. When I pulled my oil pcv valve which was only a few months old it had oil on it. Is that normal? I don't ever recall a car having oil in it but then again I didn't examine it either.

It is for my Saturn. I when I installed the fixed orifice PCV in my Saturn the recently installed PCV had oil on it. Just cleaned my throttle body and EGR after 10,0000 miles since last cleaning. They were filthy. Now full throttle over 3,000 RPM's no smoke. Seems better for throttle body, EGR, and Cat converter. I am liking this inexpensive upgrade!
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back