Finally ...Rotella T6 5w40 at WalMart...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not mine yet,still the old stuff at $19.50 a gal!!! my wm s ucks never carry any of the good stuff,no TDT either...

Am I the only person who suspects that T6 is the same oil that RTS has been since the CJ conversion - just renamed to differentiate it from the other Rotella brands they have introduced lately?

Originally Posted By: lipadj46
Group III, a great oil.

The T6 is a completely new formulation from Group IV based oils to be more competitive with Mobil 1 and extended oil drain capability.

Originally Posted By: Powerstroke
Group III, a great oil.

The T6 is a completely new formulation from Group IV based oils to be more competitive with Mobil 1 and extended oil drain capability.

Ummmm, Johnny recently confirmed that it is NOT GROUP IV:

Originally Posted By: Johnny
I can state with certainty that it is not Group IV/PAO. The two main things that changed with the T6 Vs the other CJ4 version is 1) the viscosity index improver (it's more shear stable) and 2) the label on the jug.

What is that other item in front of bottle #1....

A box of Geritol tablets?

(Just kidding, just kidding....)

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Group III, a great oil.

I can state with certainty that it is not Group IV/PAO. The two main things that changed with the T6 Vs the other CJ4 version is 1) the viscosity index improver (it's more shear stable) and 2) the label on the jug.

This topic has been discussed in detail on the street motorcycle and dodge diesel forums...Shell had to make a robust diesel oil that was more competitive with those being offered by Mobil 1 and Amsoil. Since the old formulation of Shell Rotella 5w40 T was from Group III w/hydrockracked waxes and sucked in extended oil drain capability, the NEW Shell Rotella T6 version is in fact derived from Group VI based stock, and is said to offer far better shear stability and extended oil capability and low temp flow down to -30 degrees...compared to their old formulation:

bdalameda
Site Supporter

Bike: ST1100

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is great is that Shell Rotella T6 5-40 is now made from Group IV synthetic base stocks. This makes it a real value as most Group IV and Group V base stocks lubricants are 7.00-12.00 per quart.

Last edited:
Group III, a great oil.

The price alone should be enough to tell anyone that it cannot be a predominant PAO product. If it were designed to compete with the Delvac 1 product it would be priced very close to Delvac 1. The jury is still out on long-drain capability,however I can already hear the cries of how weak it is based on a 20 buck Blackstoner report... The old CI-4 and CJ-4 RTS was fine for factory reccommended intervals. More than fine actually. It is when you try to double/triple your drain intervals that it would fall flat on it's face. Therein lies the problem for me. It's not worth the cost over their conventional CJ-4 product if your not able to run your money out of it. Their CJ-4 conventional will keep most engines just as clean and wear free at normal intervals as the RTS. We shall see won't we.

Group III, a great oil.

This topic has been discussed in detail on the street motorcycle and dodge diesel forums...Shell had to make a robust diesel oil that was more competitive with those being offered by Mobil 1 and Amsoil. Since the old formulation of Shell Rotella 5w40 T was from Group III w/hydrockracked waxes and sucked in extended oil drain capability, the NEW Shell Rotella T6 version is in fact derived from Group VI based stock, and is said to offer far better shear stability and extended oil capability and low temp flow down to -30 degrees...compared to their old formulation:

bdalameda
Site Supporter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is great is that Shell Rotella T6 5-40 is now made from Group IV synthetic base stocks. This makes it a real value as most Group IV and Group V base stocks lubricants are 7.00-12.00 per quart.

Johnny is retired from Shell. His information came directly from Shell.

lipadj46 said:
Group III, a great oil.

bdalameda
Site Supporter

Johnny is retired from Shell. His information came directly from Shell.

Gotcha...this has been such a topic lately, but I guess if it came straight from Shell it must be a Group III...thanks for the clarity...maybe I'll go back to the Mobil 1 TDT after I wear out the Shell T6

From Shell itself.

Shell Rotella® T6 Full Synthetic oil features an advanced multi-functional, low-ash additive technology in a synthetic base oil designed to provide highly responsive protection that continuously adapts to your driving conditions. Use of selected low-viscosity synthetic base oils further energizes the oil’s protective capability that promotes fuel-economy performance with no compromise in durability. Shell Rotella® T6 can contribute in many ways:
• Extended-drain capable
• Energy saving – fuel-economy performance*
• Excellent engine cleanliness and wear protection
• Excellent extreme high/low-temperature protection
• Improved low-temperature flow*

http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?site.../t6_detail.html

Originally Posted By: pavelow
From Shell itself.

Shell Rotella® T6 Full Synthetic oil features an advanced multi-functional, low-ash additive technology in a synthetic base oil designed to provide highly responsive protection that continuously adapts to your driving conditions. Use of selected low-viscosity synthetic base oils further energizes the oil’s protective capability that promotes fuel-economy performance with no compromise in durability. Shell Rotella® T6 can contribute in many ways:
• Extended-drain capable
• Energy saving – fuel-economy performance*
• Excellent engine cleanliness and wear protection
• Excellent extreme high/low-temperature protection
• Improved low-temperature flow*

http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?site.../t6_detail.html

Which makes perfect sense, given that Group III is considered full synthetic, and Shell's Group III base oil is a very fine product.

some claim it is unique because it is derived from severely hydrocracked slack wax or something along those lines, someone will correct me I'm sure. I like to think so but I'm a fan of it.

Last edited:
This is from the wildguzzi american street bike forums. Seems like someone from there "confirmed" through Shell also, that the Rotella T6 is infact from Group VI PAO based oils. Who knows what it is:

The stock for Rotella T6 HAS changed. It's now Group IV PAO. The thing I was most impressed with was the 33% wear reduction over the previous blend of Rotella 15w40 - which the BMW airhead riders, and old engine builders will swear by. I'm still not totally convinced the new Rotella is for me. I'm still waiting for a reply from Houston with the big Spectrochemical reveal.

In the world of "not really synthetic synthetics", the old formula of Rotella-T was fairly unique. Although Rotalla t's base stock was not PAO is wasn't Group III either. It was made from slack wax the same as Helix Ultra. Murphy confirmed through Shell that the new formula is now based on PAO for the Rotella T6 so this really is a different oil and I'm glad that, unlike some other mfgs, they didn't hide the change. I'll keep using the old stuff until folks like Murphy get a good look at this new "true syn".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back