What grease for EPS steering gears?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the common "sticky steering" problem on my 2003 BMW Z4. BMW refuses to recall these so instead of replacing the steering column for $3k, there appears to be a fix where some lubricant is squirted into the gearbox. This fix involves drilling a new hole so that can be done so it's not for the faint of heart.

I'm trying to figure out what grease would be best. I've read on the Bimmer Forums that folks have had success but there doesn't appear to be a consensus on the type of lubricant that should be injected. Some use standard grease (I assume Moly) others use silicon gun oil. The gears are some sort of plastic or nylon and BMW seems to use a urea grease on the newer models.

Reading on the WEB I figure I would want to use a synthetic PAO or silicon based grease without moly or EP additives. Anyone have any advice? What's urea grease all about?

Last edited:
Thanks for the link! So the polyurea greases are mostly for high temp applications and it's a thickener basically. Not really a consideration for my fix I figure. Reading more about these urea greases it sounds like they are mostly for lubed forever applications and if succesful, I'll have a zerk fitting on my gearbox I can shoot more in if I need to...

Thought I'd give a follow-up. I went ahead and installed the zerk fitting and pumped in some Valvoline Cerulean grease. Seems to work fine and has fixed the problem to a certain extent. I don't think any lubricant can totally fix a binding condition, which I'm fairly certain this is, but the steering feel on my Z4 has improved considerably with the grease in there.

Why the Cerulean? I learned that lithium complex greases are the most widely compatible so I went conservative. Cerulean isn't synthetic and doesn't have a lot of exotic additives so it's pretty basic mineral oil grease. Seems to help a lot with my problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back