Interesting Toyota WS ATF Research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening all,

As written in my signature, I own a 2007 Toyota Tundra that takes the Toyota WS ATF. I've been doing some looking around for WS information and hit the goldmine this evening.

I bought a case of this from the dealer at lunchtime today. The quart containers are marked on the bottom with a "CCC" logo, which stands for Consolidated Container Corporation. I was hoping for a "WPP" that would have been a dead giveaway for Warren or another of the common packaging logos we've discussed here.

Next, I went looking for MSDS sheets. I should have asked for one while I was at the dealer, but forgot. But, no matter, I found two after some poking around online:

The first is by ExxonMobil and is for "TOYOTA WS ATF JWS 3324." I've put a copy on my webpage below:
ExxonMobil WS ATF MSDS

The second is by Esso/Imperial Oil of Canada, for "3324 WS ATF" and is linked below:
Esso/Imperial Oil WS ATF MSDS

Few things I found interesting:

1) My quart bottles are marked "Made in the USA from domestic and imported components." I can see Toyota sourcing WS from both places and bottling it in the USA as being "made" in the USA with domestic and foreign components. It seems to me, that even if the product inside were 100% Canadian, the bottle is still made in the USA and it's bottled in the USA.

2) WS ATD is known also by "JWS 3324." If you search on JWS3324, you'll also come up with another name/specification, "NWS9638."

3) If you search on JWS3324, you'll find what I'm assuming is a German-made JWS3324, by the RAVENOL Corporation. They call it "Automatic-Getriebeцl T-WS Lifetime," which can be viewed at:

Ravenol JWS3324 ATF

Ravenol notes that the application is the "Aisin Warner Sequential Automatic Gearbox." The Tundra indeed uses an Aisin Warner AB60E/F transmission, depending on if the truck is 2WD (AB60E) or 4WD (AB60F). I had no luck finding an MSDS for the Ravenol, probably because it's not imported to the USA. I find it interesting that a German company makes a fluid that seems so similar in name to the Toyota product.

4) The rumor is that Toyota WS ATF is a synthetic fluid, but I see no evidence in the MSDS' to support this. With a flash point of 401 deg F (ExxonMobil MSDS) and 347 deg F (Imperial Oil), I'm not sure a synthetic conclusion can be drawn. I'd love for someone who is more familiar with synthetic vs. conventional ATF formulations to look at the data sheets and note a conclusion or note that a conclusion cannot be drawn.

5) The viscosities in the MSDS' match our limited VOA/UOA data here. VOA/UOA's here on WS ATF suggest a hot viscosity of around 6 cSt at 100 deg C. The Imperial Oil data sheet lists a viscosity of 5.45 cSt at 100 deg C. VOA here shows 25 cSt at 40 deg C, and the Imperial Oil MSDS shows 24 cSt at 100 deg C. Interestingly, the ExxonMobil MSDS shows a viscosity of 7.2 cSt at 100 deg C, which seems to differ from the VOA data here on BITOG. (Which, is limited to one VOA. I'm tempted to send Blackstone a sample as another data point.)

6) The 7.2 cSt number shown in the ExxonMobil MSDS suggest a few possibilities. One, the WS spec may allow some hot viscosity "wiggle room," which may indicate that as long as viscosity is in the ballpark, it doesn't have to be exact. Two, the 7.2 number may be in error. Three, the VOA may be in error. Four, the Imperial Oil data may be in error. Right now, not sure we have enough data to draw a conclusion.

Anyway, I hear my son trying to get back here with an "open gate, pleeeeease" so I will close here.

thanks,
ben

Yep - that's where the 6.0 / 25 cSt figures are from...

You're right about the grow up quick part! I try to do as much with him as I can...

thanks,
ben

Last edited:
Hhhmmnn... I just re-read the link above. Maybe I should have added this post onto the end of that as that thread has a lot of good information I don't have above.

Interesting...

later,
b

The Ravenol product seems to be semi-synthetic: (at least that's what I think it says, my German is very very bad)

Quote:
RAVENOL Automatic-Getriebeцl T-WS Lifetime
Art.- 211106

Beschreibung:
RAVENOL Automatic-Getriebeцl T-WS Lifetime ist ein Automatikgetriebeцl ATF auf Basis der neuesten Technologie der HC/HT-Hydrocrackцle und PAO. Die spezielle Formulierung sorgt fьr eine doppelt so lange Lebensdauer wie bei einem vergleichbaren ATF-Цl.RAVENOL Automatic-Getriebeцl T-WS Lifetime erfьllt die Anforderungen der modernsten Getriebeцlspezifikationen fьr sequential Automatikgetriebe von Toyota und Aisin Warner.

Qualitдts-Klassifikation:
RAVENOL Automatic-Getriebeцl T-WS Lifetime entspricht den Anforderungen fьr Automatik-Getriebe:

TOYOTA 08886-02305
Lexus JWS3324
Aisin Warner Sequential Automatic Gearbox

Are you going the 1 year/15k drain and fill in your app?
We just acquired an '07 Rav4 that puts me in this ball game.

Updating an old thread with some modern data: Mobil has a 3324 product for the China market, "Mobil ATF™ 3324":

http://www.mobil.com/China-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_ATF_3324.aspx

Sure wish that was available here!

Viscosity, ASTM D445
cSt @ 100ºC 5.3
cSt @ 40ºC 23
Brookfield Viscosity @ -40ºC, cP, ASTM D2983 8,000
Viscosity Index, ASTM D2270 173
Flash Point, ºC, ASTM D92 ›175
Density @ 15ºC, kg/l, ASTM D4052 0.854
Color Red

Thanks HangFire, I think it is available here, as Toyota WS but Toyota wanted to be the only one to sell it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back