2004 Infiniti G35X Transfer Case

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried searching for my specific issue, but to no avail so here goes!

I am looking for a replacement fluid for my 2004 Infiniti G35X transfer case with 37k miles. I know the spec is for Nissan Matic D or Dexron III. Right around 30k (This was in the spring/summer) I replaced the fluid with Redline D4ATF which seemed like a good fit. I have had no issues with the performance of the fluid in regards to noise or chatter, but I noticed my gas mileage dropped about 10%-15% after replacing. My in town mileage went down to about 14-15 mpg as opposed to 17-18 mpg normally. As you can imagine this has only got worse with winter in Iowa and North Dakota.

So I am looking to switch to something else, something that still satisfies the Nissan Matic D requirements for warranty, but preferably has a lower viscosity than the Redline D4ATF. I am looking at the AMSOil ATF, Redline D6ATF, or even just back to regular Matic D. I would prefer a full synthetic and haven't been able to really find any technical info on the Matic D to find out if it is dino, blend, or full synthetic.

Opinions?

The D-Matic Nissan ATF is equivalent to DEX III. I would use Amsoil ATF for the transfer case if it were my car as it fulfills the D-Matic requirement and is a Synthetic. When you switch over your differential fluid, give Amsoil Severe Gear Oil a try in the proper weight (75w-90 I believe). When I switched the differential oil in my G35 to Amsoil Severe Gear Oil it felt like it freed up some horse power, the car felt lighter on its feet,and may have given a little increase in MPG. I also use Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic 5w-30 engine oil and love it for 5-6k OCI.

Originally Posted By: MidnightG35X
I know the spec is for Nissan Matic D or Dexron III.

I don't think so. Infinity G35 (same as Maxima 2004+ etc) needs Matic J or K for their 5 speed auto. I would double check this.

Originally Posted By: timeau

I don't think so. Infinity G35 (same as Maxima 2004+ etc) needs Matic J or K for their 5 speed auto. I would double check this.

He's referring to his transfer case being D-Matic spec, the equivalent of Dex III. The Automatic transmission does call for a spec of Nissan J-Matic fluid.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Spartuss
Originally Posted By: timeau

He's referring to his transfer case being D-Matic spec, the equivalent of Dex III. The Automatic transmission does call for a spec of Nissan J-Matic fluid.

+1

Originally Posted By: Spartuss
The D-Matic Nissan ATF is equivalent to DEX III. I would use Amsoil ATF for the transfer case if it were my car as it fulfills the D-Matic requirement and is a Synthetic. When you switch over your differential fluid, give Amsoil Severe Gear Oil a try in the proper weight (75w-90 I believe). When I switched the differential oil in my G35 to Amsoil Severe Gear Oil it felt like it freed up some horse power, the car felt lighter on its feet,and may have given a little increase in MPG. I also use Pennzoil Platinum Synthetic 5w-30 engine oil and love it for 5-6k OCI.

OK, so that's one (possibly two) for the AMSOil ATF. As for the differential fluid, Right now I have Redline 75W90 in there. It did seem to make it feel lighter, but no improvement on the mileage side. I might actually switch it out to the Redline 75W90NS because both front and rear differentials are open and the NS stuff is a little thinner with the same amount of gear protection, so it might improve mileage even more and make it feel even lighter.

High quality synthetic gear oils tend not to shear as much, so they tend to be harder to pump. That could explain loss of MPG.

Because of this, Dexron VI, Toyota WS, and a few other OEM full synthetic AT oils were made with a low viscosity right from the factory.

If you like Redline products, buy their D6 ATF, which has a low viscosity. If you don't, just buy a good Dexron VI transmission fluid and put it in the transfer case.

I do not really have a fluid brand loyalty. It was recommended to me to use Redline 75W90 in my front and rear differentials, so I just decided to pick up the D4ATF for the transfer case from the same location. And it looks like Redline and AMSOil are the two of the more-mentioned brands here so that's why I have been checking into them. Because I am in warranty, I am leaning more towards the AMSOil because it is actually spec'd to meet Nissan Matic D. I do not think D6ATF is.

Does anyone know if OEM Matic D is dino, blend, or full syn?

"...so they tend to be harder to pump. That could explain loss of MPG."

Harder to pump?

Where do you get this info or lack thereof?

There is no need to use an OE fluid even when under warranty.

D-matic is a mineral dex/merc ATF. It is nothing special.

Definitely upgrade to a full synthetic ATF for that x-case and PSF. RP, M1, RL, Ams.... would be easy choices.
Using the same brand for either 'ends would be great too.

For the transmission, any of the universal multivehicle ATFs can be considered in place of J.

To improve your MPG, check tire PSI regular, change your air filter, and clean them injectors.
You should consider a few bottles of FI cleaner. Redline, Amsoil, Techron concentrate, 3M, BG44k.... are some worth using at your next fill-up. IMO, a bottle should be used prior to every oil change or at least 2 times a year.

Good to know that D-matic is just a standard ATF. It looks like I will probably end up going with the AMSOil ATF in the transfer case, even though the Redline D6 is a little thinner (better in the winter). I actually wrote Redline about the differentials, and even though mine are open they suggested the regular 75W90 because of "temperature and friction" reduction because the friction modifier was included. They said if I did go with the 75W90NS because of the cold weather, to add 5% friction modifier to it. So I'll probably just leave the 75W90 that is in there.

In my owner's manual, it specifically states I MUST use Matic J for the transmission or it is not covered under warranty if something breaks. Every other component does not emphasize this, so it should be safe to use anything within spec.

As for improving MPG, I know and do all that standard stuff. It was that I noticed directly after I changed my fluid that the MPG's dropped. I do like the idea of putting in some BG44k, but can you get that anywhere besides a shop that wants to do the full service? A can of the stuff would probably suit me fine. 35k miles shouldn't make injectors ALL that dirty. I have run cleaner through em before.

Yep, you do NOT need to go to a shop(ebay) for FI cleaning. Simply find a store or dealer that sells the product you want to use, and toss it in during your next complete fuel fill up.
Around here, some of the Toyota, Ford, and Gm dealers stock BG44k in their parts departments. TechronConcentrate and Redline are easily found at autoparts and department stores.
Napa also has some of the 'hard to find' brands.

Nissan transmissions rarely break under warranty. And, it won't break if you use ANY fluid that mentions the J spec. Last time I checked, several brands(Amsoil, Amalie, Castrol, Pennzoil, RoyalPurple, Pennzoil.....), mention the spec. The owners manual fear mongering should be ignored.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back