Motorcycle oil for a NV5600?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, new to the site. I am curious whether any of the new motorcycle synthetic oils are harmful to brass synchros?
Would the friction modifiers in motorcycle oil help or hinder shift smoothness? Just looking off an off the shelf alternative to the $30 quart Dodge oil. All opinions appreciated, thanks.

Mopar's oil is a 5w30ish weight oil according to internet research..But I believe Amsoils MTL is a 70W80, and they say it can be used in place of 5w30, 10w30, and 10w40 in transmissions. MS-9224 is the spec number, Texaco 1874.

Last edited:
There's an important distinction to be made here: does the trans say you can actually use motor oil, or does it have to be gear oil? It's true that motor oils and gear oils can have similar viscosities, but the additives are very different.

You should use synchromesh fluid in there. it is thinner that most motorcycle oils and has the right additives for that transmission.

The motorcycles I'm familiar with do not have synchronizers--they are not sliding mesh transmissions. They are constant mesh transmissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back