Power Steering Fluid 1996 Plymouth voyager

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know what power steering fluid i can use in a 1996 Plymouth Voyager 3.3 Nobody seems to know even the dealer is not sure..i want to do a flusf of the power steering system..

the factory service manual on my 96 has in bold letters: do not use ATF. use only Mopar PS fluid. Amsoil lists their own universal PS fluid as acceptable. so, likely any universal PS fluid is fine.

Last edited:
how do you like your 96 voyager this one seems nice im a little worried about the transmission but other wise it seems nice it has the 3.3 which is a good engine (i know because we are engine re-builders)
I asked the pennzoil and valvoline people and got different answers and my computer programs also contridict each other... Something so simple yet can't get a strait answer

as you well know, the 3.3 is a great engine for durability - it puts some of the "modern" Mopars to shame (ok, namely the 2.7; but alot of Mopars have a "sludge" history these days). I just change the tranny fluid often and dont have probs. the only Mopar tranny problem I have had is related to the solenoid pack. not a big deal.

Regular or Syn power steering fluid. I just flushed out my Dad's 2000 Caravan. I used Amsoil syn power steering fluid.

Pretty pathetic your dealer does not know what fluid to run.

I've used ATF in mine without any ill effects, But I wouldn't recommend you do the same. Just use a universal PS fluid as stated above, Shouldn't have any problems with that.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Does anyone know what power steering fluid i can use in a 1996 Plymouth Voyager 3.3 Nobody seems to know even the dealer is not sure..i want to do a flusf of the power steering system..
The dealer should carry a generic power steering fluid by Mopar that comes in a black or clear quart size container. This is what you need to use or else the pump is prone to whining over time.

We have also used Prestone in the past when the Dealer didn't have any... It seems to work just as well.

i know and even at our engine shop the two programs we use say two different things... I called the tech lines of a few oil companies and i got everything from use atf- 4 use dexron or use the clear power steering fluid and then told me to put my finger into the power steering fluid and if it is red its atf if clear "maybe" the regular power steering fluid... i am using the clear valvoline atf because nobody seems to know for sure including myself...
Oh and by the way the oil that came out was dirty black

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back