Fram vs. Purolator Air Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Despite all the negative things people have said about Fram, the air filter for my application (CA8606--2000 Dodge Intrepid 3.2) looked pretty good, so I decided to give it a try.

I went to a store that carries Fram, Purolator, and STP. The STP was out of my size, so I could only compare Fram and Purolator. The Fram has 71 pleats (just like the Mopar OEM) while the Purolator has only 55. Aside from pleat count, the Purolator looked and felt more flimsy. I was quite surprised.

The Fram and the OEM Mopar filter were visually similar (the Fram had slightly larger grate-holes, but the material looked and felt like the same stuff). I wouldn't be surprised if the Mopar filter is Fram product.

I would have no qualms in running Fram air filters. I think some side by side UOA's running FRAM's against other have shown Fram air filters to do a repectable job (silicon values in the oil) despite concerns about its construction. While I haven't run Fram air filters in quite a while, I did buy a Fram for a new Honda Civic that will not need it for another 24,000 miles.

The construction of FRAM oil filters is what many people have an issue with; their air filters appear to be as good as any other name brand paper filter.

I compared the Fram filter to the AC Delco filter for my 1992 Chevy truck. The Fram was smaller in thickness and appeared to be lower quality when compared to the AC Delco. It did not fit the housing axactly right becuase the OD diameter was smaller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back